“No complaints - apart from..........” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Preston
“No complaints - apart from..........”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Just spent a couple of nights at the Sheraton whilst visiting Edinburgh. Effectively a freebie weekend as I had enough Starwood points to cover the accommodation cost. Not cheap for a room otherwise but you will be paying for quality. Everywhere looks new and clean. The rooms are stylish and we are massive fans of the Starwood king bed - a good nights sleep guaranteed. Efficient, quiet, air conditioning/climate control. Hotel is centrally located - only a 3 minute walk to Princes Street. Loads of pubs/restaurants within easy walking distance. Parking on site for 2 nights cost £18. Don't suppose I can complain about that given city centre location. View from our room uninspiring but in any event this was not a sit out on the balcony sort of weekend.

Only other gripe, and it's a minor one. Power shower is lacking a bit of power. Not sure whether this was due to water supply problem over this particular weekend as a message was posted on our tv by hotel management referring to a a problem that the in house engineers were trying to put right. Nice bar area with pleasant staff working the tables. Wife had a facial in the Spa and said it was really good. Didn't eat in the hotel as breakfast not included in the rate.

We have stayed in quite a few Starwood hotels in Europe and this is probably one of the better ones. The hotel is still looking very fresh and stylish following a serious refurbishment. Would have no problem staying here again

Room Tip: Suspect you would need to ask for a Castle view room if you want a decent outlook
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Stephen W
, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your review with us, I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. and made special mention of the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds. I agree that they are extremely comfortable.
Thank you once again for this review and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Warm regards
JP Kavanagh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed our one night stay at the Sheraton. I liked the room, which was very modern and well designed. It was quiet and had a Comfortable bed. The shower and bath were appreciated. Sometimes you only get one or the other in hotels. We had a castle room I think, which over looked the square at the front and over to the castle. We did not eat in the hotel but did enjoy the one spa. Enjoying our massages thoroughly. The roof top pool was nice as well as the Hamman and the aroma bath at the end of the pool. We did have drinks in the bar before bed. I had an apple orchard cocktail which was lovely. I liked the modern bar area and although it was almost 2am it still had a few people in it thus it had a good atmosphere. Would definitely go back if in Edinburgh.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us from your recent stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Castle facing rooms and made time in your busy schedule to use One Spa and have some treatments. I have shared your comments with my colleagues and look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Edinburgh.
Best regards
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

The first thing to stay about this hotel is that it is very stylish. The bar area is very impressive as is the reception and lobby. Our room was very nice, save the view of a horrid roof (how about planting some grass) and party popper under the bed, have to question the cleaning? I liked the sound system from the tv and that it linked into the bathroom. Although the water pressure on the "rain water shower" was very weak.

We met up with my brother and sister in law in the evening who were staying elsewhere. My partner came back earlier than me and given that we had only spent about an hour in the hotel he remembered our floor but not room number and was really given the third degree, I appreciate security, but was it necessary for him to give my name and full address including postcode by a rude member of staff. When I returned about an hour later, the hotel was locked up, I knocked on the window and a member of staff looked out the window and walked off, I walked around to the vechicle entrance where a rude guy answered the door and I was asked "what room number", good evening to you too. Anyway the member of staff informed me that my "colleague" had got back to the hotel earlier? The next morning another member of staff started banging on our door 45 mins before check out despite the do not disturb sign on the door.

For a five star hotel, this place leaves a lot to be desired.

• 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank colindkavanagh
, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review from your recent stay. I am very sorry to read whilst you have many positive comments about the hotel, these were marred by the issues you encountered when returning to the hotel. Whilst this matter is being investigated, I can confirm that the safety and security of our guests is paramount, hence why we have procedures in place when guests return and do not know their room numbers, however I am concerned that you feel you were treated in a rude manner.

Thank you for your time in highlighting your concerns and again please allow me to apologise for this uncharacteristic experience. I do hope that this does not discourage you from staying with us in the future.

Warm regards.

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed here for work back in Oct of 2008 and it was by far the best hotel experience I have ever had.
It started with the hotel staff treating us like royalty. The rooms were amazing as well. Very large and well put together. You just can't beat that castle view. Unbelievable location, within walking distance to the castle, park and shopping. A very large breakfast with everything you want in the morning and more. There are various restaurants very close to the hotel as well.
They had a nice business centre downstairs as well. I will return next time I am in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get a room in front with a view of the castle.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Mike H
, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your review from your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and can confirm that since then, we have completely refurbished the whole hotel, so you must make a point of coming back to stay with us when next in Edinburgh.
Thank you once again and hope to see you again soon.
Stanley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Booked the Sheraton for our 10th wedding anniversary.
Check in was very smooth. The spa was great and very relaxing.
The food at One Square was very nice and not as expensive as I had thought.
The room itself was excellent. Very modern with some great touches. We had a club room so had use of the club lounge. Had a lovely couple of glasses of wine and the girls who served were very attentive. Loved the cheese and onion popcorn.

1 Thank Tbloke99
, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read this fantastic review and have already shared with my colleagues in every department as your words will serve as motivation to them.
Thank you once again and hope it won't be too long before we can welcome you back.
Warm regards.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Very well situated. Excellent staff at reception , spa and dining areas. large nicely decorated and comfortable bedrooms with large bathrooms. Food is fair enough.. Excellent personnel at the spas and they even have a Power Plate machine which made my wife even happier! And it is so easy and just a few minutes from the center of the city by the castle.

2 Thank PantaRei46
, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review with us. I hope you had a safe and pleasant journey home. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Edinburgh.
Thank you once again, it is very much appreciated.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Excellent modern hotel with newly refurbished and high tech rooms. Excellent place to stay in Edinburgh, we will be back in the near future the next time we are in Edinburgh

Room Tip: Choose a Club room, you get un hndered access to the Club room for breakfast and afternoon Tea and e...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MichelleMartin2011
, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your trip to Edinburgh and your stay in one of our Club Rooms.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.