“Very charming”
Review of The Howard

The Howard
Ranked #15 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed May 11, 2010

We had a lovely stay the Howard recently. The hotel is very charming, the room was lovely and spacious, and the staff were amazing!!!! I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank candacegar

Reviewed May 6, 2010

Our room was large and beautiful. The staff at The Howard is outstanding!!!! Great value!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank alwayswantstogo
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Just had a wonderful weekend at The Howard - a really beautiful building. Our room - a terrace suite - was decorated to a really high standard. We had a lovely big bathroom which was spotless. The staff were brilliant - very, very attentive and helpful. The hotel is very peaceful and quiet - a stark contrast with many of the bars, hotels and restaurants just up the road along the main tourist routes. However, the location is fab - the New Town of Edinburgh is gorgeous and we had a great time just wandering down little streets finding art galleries and lovely restaurants. Breakfast was lovely and afternoon tea to die for.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank suziewooh
Reviewed March 29, 2010

This was a lovely little hotel very close to the centre of Edinburgh. We had been given a gift voucher for dinner and decided to stay overnight so that we could relax and enjoy the experience. We had a lovely evening. The food was superb and the service was second to none. It was unusual not to have a minibar or coffee making facilities in the room but there was a team of butlers on hand to cater for all our needs. The decor and furnishings are just what you would expect to find in a georgian townhouse - it was like being in a grand house rather than a hotel, very comfortable and cosy. We would definitely stay there again and have already recommended it to friends and family.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mrsgetaway
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Each year for the past nine years I have tried to find a good hotel to celebrate my husband’s birthday in March. As it is out of season you can normally get a good deal and I have booked some gorgeous hotels, like the Grand in Stockholm, and even the Waldorf in New York as part of a longer holiday for a special birthday. With the weak pound and all the extra air taxes, this year I looked closer to home and decided on Edinburgh. Unfortunately it coincided with a big rugby match so the choice was more limited and prices were higher than expected but the Howard was highly recommended on Trip Advisor so I thought I would give it a go.

The Howard did not let me down and I can see why so many people have recommended it. From check in where you are asked to sit down in the lounge with a pot of tea whilst your cases are taken to your room, to the 24 hour service should you need a snack in the middle of the night to the lovely rooms, you know you are in the right place.

Our room was on the second floor next to a lift, so I was originally worried that it would be noisy, we never had a problem as the rooms are very solid and the bed was so comfortable. There was a walk in wardrobe, a very large bathroom with roll top bath, comfortable chairs to sit and read and a lovely view from the window.

There was no tea making facility in the room, but you only had to ring down and fresh tea or coffee was delivered. Bottled water was provided each day and should you wish for it, the butlers would iron your clothes if they were creased after being packed. I was taken ill whilst there (a bad head cold) and returned to the hotel on the Saturday feeling very sorry for myself as my husband went to meet friends. I was immediately offered tea, lemsip etc. and went to my room where it was delivered. Later on I had a call from reception wanting to check that I was okay and offered more refreshments. I cannot see this happening anywhere else; you really felt they cared for your comfort and well being.

The breakfast was served to you freshly each day and was varied and extremely well cooked. We had a snack one evening when I did not feel well enough to go out and did not relish a full meal and it was excellent. You felt that the butlers were there whenever you needed them, but were not hovering or intrusive.

Would I recommend this hotel, most definitely, the only downside was the steep walk to the centre from the hotel, but after a large breakfast it was a way of getting the calories down, and the return was downhill all the way, better than the other way around.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mumstheword175
Reviewed January 4, 2010

It was back in May 2009 when my partner took me to stay at this hotel for 1 night and I had been intending to leave a review here since then but had never gotten around to it!

At the time of our visit I only lived 60 or so miles away from Edinburgh, in North Northumberland so it was a good place to go for a short notice getaway, even just for one night sometimes.
My partner booked The Howard having looked at some of the Townhouse group's other hotels online, Channings was originally to be our first choice but as I had already stayed there previously we settled on The Howard.

We arrived a couple of hours before check in time and were greeted warmly, our room was not ready as there had been a big rugby match on the day before and most hotels had been fully booked, however our Butler took care of parking our car and our bags and offered us a drink.
We decided to go for a walk around the City centre and returned after 3pm to check in.
Our room was large by city centre standards and decorated in cream and gold furnishings with a large canopy over the huge comfy bed.

The bathroom was again large by comparrison with other hotels , was spotelssly clean and had a separate shower and bath. The only fault we could find was with the shower head being low, I am 5ft 8 and my partner 6ft 1 we had to stoop down to get a proper shower as the shower head didnt adjust. Not a major problem for a 1 night stay though.

Service in the hotel was excellent, there are no Tea & Coffee making facilities in the rooms however your butler will deliver drinks to the room for you if you call reception to order them. Our Butler was fantastic, he suggested a restaurant for our evening meal and offered to book a table, his local knowledge was great and when the suggested restaurant turned out to be closed (he had thought this may be the case as this was on a Sunday of a bank hol weekend) he found us somewhere else.

Breakfast was delicious and clearly made using quality ingredients, it is nice that the hotel takes pride in using local produce and supporting local suppliers.

We wouldnt hesitate in staying at The Howard again, we now live in North Lincolnshire so it's not so convenient to get to but I have no doubt we will visit again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank moowliscious
Reviewed December 16, 2009

We had a wonderful 3 night stay here. The hotel was easy to find, it had on site car parking. The staff went our of their way to make our stay perfect. Our room was fantastic, roomy and very comfortable. Every aspect of our stay here was faultless. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple