“Wow, wow, wow, wow...”
Review of The Howard

The Howard
Ranked #14 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Visited this hotel with my husband and daughter. We got a good deal through Olotels.com and I was a bit worried about whether I had paid in full! Turned out I had :) phew. The room was massive and we had a four poster bed and huge bathroom. My daughter had the sofa bed. We did unfortunately get a parking ticket as our car was not moved by the butler (I sound so pompous!) but the hotel resolved this.

The hotel is in a fantastic location. The staff are super friendly. Having butlers feels very odd at first but make the hotel feel very luxurious. The breakfast was delicious - lots of choice. The Scottish breakfast was not covered in grease and a sensible portion size. All really good quality ingredients too. Only niggle was that the poached eggs were overdone. We had breakfast in our room some mornings and it was delivered on time with the correct order. The room service was also efficient and reasonably priced.

We had an afternoon tea in the Drawing Room whilst we were in the hotel. I am not a tea drinker but have been converted after a pot of the delicious Oolong tea. Lots of yummy food to try and all lovely home-made pastries and cakes.

My husband made full use of the extensive whisky selection. My only regret is not getting the butler to run me a bath!

Wonderful hotel, friendly staff, great location. Would recommend.

Room Tip: We were in Abercromby room and had minimum noise from the traffic
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Howard

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I am the owner of a tour company in the US and brought a group to Edinburgh last week. We began and ended our trip at the Howard which is one of the loveliest hotel stays I have ever experienced. I can honestly say that in all the years I have been in this business, I have never experienced the level of, or quality of service that we did at The Howard! The entire staff went out of their way to accommodate my group's every need with professionalism and grace. No request ever seemed to be too much and was accommodated with a smile. Guests even have butler service!

The entire experience makes one feel as if they are staying in a private, luxury residence rather than a hotel which makes for a very special stay. Every room is lovely and inviting, the dining room alluring with exquisite fare and drinks in the Drawing Room were always a highlight. The Howard set the tone and a very high bar for our magical journey through Scotland.

The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the Royal Mile (or a short, easy cab ride) which puts it in a quiet, historic residential neighborhood of New Town rather than among the tourist hustle bustle near the castle. I am bringing another group back next year and I truly can't imagine staying anywhere else in Edinburgh! The Howard was one of the highlights of our trip!

Room Tip: All of the rooms in the hotel are lovely. If you want to splurge, I recommend one of the Junior Sui...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NatureQuest37
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This hotel is very personlized you get you own butler, the breakfast was 'a la carte" very filling and overall was very happy w it. My room was upgraded for free (guess because i complained about noise) and got an apartment that blew me it was huge. It exceeded my expectations. The whole time i was there it felt like being at home w the style of the former townhouse resembling an actual home .

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I am lucky enough to visit Edinburgh 3 or 4 times a year for business and have tried a few hotels in the city. The Howard Hotel is by far the best and great value. Exceptional service from all the staff. Fabulous room, nothing was too much trouble. Great freshly cooked breakfast. I will be going back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Its a short walk out of the city centre, which means it nice and quiet street
Its 3 old houses combined into a hotel and in fact you can easly walk past it, as very desecrate signage - no of the multi nation flags, outside, that some hotels seem to insist on
The hotel is like going back to the 1930's - very old style fittings and furnishings in traditional british
Upon arrive we were met by the butler, who served us tea in the sitting room, whilst the room and luggage were sorted> The butler was very friendly and explained everything about the hotel and service they offered
Out room was lovely, nice big bath, shower and twin sinks, comfy beds, the wardrobe didn't seem to fit with the rest of the room, and the giant TV was a bit out of place too I would loose the TV altogether! Plenty to do in Edinburgh without a TV!! and more people might use the rather cosy sitting room We had a problem with the shower, which was user error, but the butler soon sorted
Breakfast was wonderful and offered Arboarth smoked fish as well
We had afternoon tea and ware so full no dinner was required
a great range of fresh QUALITY TEA - NO TEA BAGS HERE !

Room Tip: All the rooms are different - so down to choice
1  Thank WardyWolves
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We felt at home the minute we walked in through the door. The charming butler took us to our room, giving us knowledgeable advice about where the best local pubs were (eg the excellent Cumberland Bar). All of the service was exceptional, from breakfast to our fabulous evening meal in the Atholl on our first night. Our room, overlooking the Square, was peaceful, spacious and had everything we needed. We wanted an intimate hotel and this is certainly the place; a big thank you to all the staff (especially Dorothy); we will be back in the spring.

Judy & Duncan.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Professional butlers make you feel welcomed immediately; parking your car, taking you bagage to your room and unpacking, ironing what's needed, bring you a pot of tea in the drawing room. Nothing is a bother. All complimentary services. As is breakfast served in your room, a pot of tea whenever you wish. The Howard is located just a few minutes walk from the city pulse and still so peaceful and quiet.
Bed very comfortable. Bathroom a dream with his and hers washbasin, separate shower cubicle, big bath. Room well equipped with big flat screen tv and anything you could wish for. Clean and tidy and also with a very nice decor.
I will return to The Howard as soon as I can. My new favourite hotel in the world.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Another superb review for The Howard and we are truly honoured to be considered anyone's favourite hotel - many, many thanks!
Leon Kiteley