“Gone Down Hill”

Ranked #12 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
cumbria
“Gone Down Hill”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was our fourth stay at The Howard and unfortunately it is in need of a refurbishment. We stayed in the 'Frederic' room for two nights in january for our wedding anniversary. The cost was £165 and £215 per night.
On the first evening I went to see the receptionist and told her we were very disappointed with our room and she said "sorry, I will pass your comments on to the manager". I expected some sort of acknowlegement next day but none was forthcoming. My main concerns were very badly stained cusion covers on the bed - which were later removed and the disgusting state of the two armchairs - very badly worn and dirty! - Not 5 star I can assure you.
On checking out I said how disappointed we had been and left them a list of what we felt let them down.
I have also emailed all the following to them and asked the manager to comment but alas he has failed to do so.
The following are what needs to be put right: The 2 armchairs; headboard is smaller than the width of the bed; quilt too small for the bed; supposed to be a king size, but is two beds pushed together with the dreaded gap in the middle; hem of bathroom curtains dirty; lampshade badly stained; a new fan had been fitted in the bathroom but no-one had cleaned up afterwards; black down the side of the outside of the shower due to a leaking shower tray.
Due to my complaints we received a price reduction. However, this was not why we stayed here, it would have been much better to receive what we had wanted.

8 Thank darrencumbria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
West of London
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was a very cold 3 day first visit to Edinburgh - a great city with activity choices to suit any weather. But the icing on the cake was our choice of the Howard. Conveniently situated for the central area, combining old world decor, charm and gentility with top quality service and attentiveness. A peaceful haven blessed with superb staff; we will go there again having enjoyed perhaps our best city centre hotel experience. Wow!

• Stayed January 2013
Falkirk
Reviewed January 17, 2013

1 Night stay in a very relaxing atmosphere. Staff were excellent and helpful. I would say without a doubt that it is the staff that makes the hotel what it is...... inviting, relaxing clean and overall a place that you will go back to and the fact that a discount is in place makes 'The Howard' an even more appealing place to stay.

Room Tip: We were lucky to get an upgrade to The Abercrombie Suite and this was a south facing room that was e...
1 Thank William W
Knaresborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We recently stayed at The Howard Hotel for three nights, as a long weekend break. From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were presented with a level of courtesy and service that is reminiscent of days gone by. Our Butler showed us to our room and explained the list of services on offer at the Howard, which ranged from the pressing of clothes and the cleaning of shoes to picking up shopping from the city and arranging private drinks receptions for the guests. Every morning the Butlers brought tea, coffee and juices to our room and then a little later returned and served breakfast in the privacy of our room. The rooms themselves were comfortable and roomy, with the bed being excellent. The entire hotel has an air of refinement that is often lost within the bigger 'chain' hotel groups. The entire experience was faultless with the Butler service being the icing on the cake!!

Room Tip: The only room I would avoid (although I didn't see inside the room) is the one in the basement o...
1 Thank Darren M
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Many thanks for this superb review and whilst it may be churlish to contradict someone who has showered such glowing praise on The Howard, I must address the issue of our "basement" rooms. We actually refer to these as out Terrace Suites and they are our finest offering. They are all generously proportioned with their own private entrances on to Great King Street (the epitome of discretion) and Marchmont, for example, has a huge Jacuzzi bath and views over our garden.
Billingshurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at the Howard for a single night on a recent trip to Edinburgh and had a first-class experience. The service was wonderful, the breakfast fantastic and my room was spacious and very comfortable. The only downside was that I was travelling alone and the Howard is really a hotel to be shared with someone else! The hotel is also superbly located for exploring Edinburgh and I will definitely be looking to stay there again next time I visit the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Another wonderful review for The Howard and my sincerest thanks to this guest - I do hope they will visit us again soon but, hopefully they will bring a friend to share the experience!.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I would class myself as a reader of reviews rather than a writer, but after a visit to The Howard I am compelled to write a brief review...

I booked afternoon tea at The Howard on the Satruday before Christmas as a little break from the madness of Christmas shopping. After some research I narrowed down my choice to the Balmoral or The Howard, I am very glad I went with the latter.

From the outset we had a fantastic experience, we received a warm greeting from the hotel staff and were shown to our table in the drawing room. I could not have picked a more relaxed and intimate room to have afternoon tea for two. The picture of a lovely afternoon tea table in the window on the hotel website is the table we were seated at.

Our butler served us with exquisite champagne that was perfect for the afternoon, we then had a delicous festive afternoon tea of turkey sandwiches, mince pies, scones etc, baked and prepared to perfection.

If anyone is unsure about giving this unique hotel a try I would definitely recommend it; its everything we could of asked for and more. Hopefully we will back soon in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ceeajm1
A fantastic critique of our Afternoon Tea offering and I am so glad we were able to exceed this guest's expectations. Please note that our Afternoon Tea Menu changes regularly so there is always something new to tempt you with..
CUMBRIA
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Just returned from The Howard for a birthday celebration. Staff were very good and the service was excellent. Room was a little tired and bathroom could benefit a refurb (mouldy sealant etc). Bed really comfy and rooms were clean and warm. If it wasnt for the butler then I wouldnt rave about this hotel for the price. Good location but the cobbled streets make the street facing rooms very noisy in the early hours of the morning with the traffic. Nothing was too much trouble and we will return if there is a room available at the rear of the hotel.

Room Tip: Street facing room suffers from traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple