WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #13 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“Another fabulous stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

I've stayed at the Howard on a number of occasions now and continue to rave about the hotel to friends and family. On this occasion I've reduced my normal rating of 5/5 to 4/5 due to some very minor disappointments on my last visit, none of which really affected my enjoyment or comfort during my stay, but was a reduction in quality I had previously experienced. I stayed at the hotel for two nights. The first disappointment was that I was not offered the turn down service on either evening. Previously I had returned to my room after an evenings entertainment to find the room tidied and bed turned back. The second disappointment was on the second evening when on my way out to a restaurant for dinner I informed the receptionist that my coffee tray in room was ready for collection, only to find it still on the desk in my room when I returned some three hours later. Like I said nothing major but not the perfect service I had previously enjoyed. I learnt that Andrew the Head Butler was absent for the two nights that I stayed so hope that this is why there were these oversights by the Butler team. I will return at some point in the near future when I hope to find things have returned to the perfect service I have previously experienced.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed here on several occasions and have always left completely satisfied, But most recent visit felt a little let down, didn't have the finishing touches which previously alway made our stay perfect.

Such as turn down service not offered , trays not cleared despite requesting this,
I felt it was it was a little less welcoming,
Certain aspects were still very good but lacked with the finishing touches which had previously made this perfect.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Michellej1975-2
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Although a very positive review overall - I would like to extend my personal apologies to this guest for lack of turndown service as this is something we absolutely do provide unless having been advised otherwise. I will make no excuses as to why this did not happen - we simply got it wrong!
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Fortunately I read through the lines of the' odd' few bad reviews and gave this wonderful, unusual hotel a chance. We loved every aspect of it and will be returning frequently. It felt more like living in ones own 'upstairs downstairs' town house than a hotel. The staff/butlers were informal, but discreet and attentive to our every need. The food was excellent. The location is central, on a cobbled street, and very quiet.
If you want brash, music blaring, ultra modern decor and chips don't go there.
Amazingly good value.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I am glad to read that this guest was persuaded to experience The Howard and I love the comparison to Upstairs/Downstairs, as this type of environment was exactly what the property was initially built for although I hope you will find the service much more relaxed these days!
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights with my boyfriend. We had a fantastic stay; it was truly luxurious and we didn't want to leave. We loved being able to have breakfast in our bedroom each morning and the bathroom was equipped with two sinks, a huge bath and a shower. The bed was extremely comfortable too. In terms of location it is very good because it's nice and peaceful but you are just a short walk from Princes street and Hanover St contains some lovely restaurants. I would definitely return if I were to visit Edinburgh in the future.

1 Thank LondonHayley_h
Many thanks to this guest for her kind words and it is great to again read feedback on The Howard of this nature. Hope to see this couple again soon..
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed with my husband for a couple of nights. So convenient for the city yet in such a quiet position. Couldn't be better! Room very comfortable and super big bathroom. All staff friendly and helpful yet unobtrusive. We thought it was a great bargain. Did not have opportunity to sample food other than breakfast. Good choice but we did have one gripe (otherwise it would have been a 5* review) in that eggs on Eggs Benedict were hard while poached with bacon were slimy and unpleasant; also far too much vinegar used to cook the eggs. I smelt it as soon as the plates came into the room. But, other than that wee gripe, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

1 Thank Willows6
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Overall another fantastic review but I am sorry to read that we were denied that all important fifth star because of a problem with our eggs. Rest assured this was a very rare occurence and I have addressed this with Williamt, Head Chef, who passes on his personal apology and will ensure this does not happen again!
Fife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have recently had the pleasure of spending a night at The Howard. This was really a business trip booked at short notice. Since I had reserved a single room I had expected a small pokey room with a dreary outlook. to the rear of the hotel..but not at all...I was shown to super triple windowed room with comfortable double bed and an excellent bathroom looking out into Great King Street. Breakfast was just excellent and all of the staff extremely pleasant and attentive. Sadly I was only there for one night but I hope to stay again and would recommend this hotel very highly. For the comfort and quality on offer it was also excellent value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Another fantastic review for The Howard and I was thrilled to read how we managed to surpass this customer's expectations - rest assured - there are no "pokey" rooms at the hotel, and in times of low occupancy we will always try to upgrade our guests wherever possible on a complimentary basis.
Kirkby Lonsdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

A lovely couple of days in a lovely hotel booked last minute. Beautiful room full of character, large spacious bathroom and a quiet location but easy walking distance to the city. A fabulous breakfast, a rarity these days. We will be back. Pauine s.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
A great write up and one that perfectly encapsulates the "Howard Experience"! My thanks to this guest for their custom and for taking the time to share their experience.