“A great find”
Review of The Howard

The Howard
Ranked #14 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have recently had the pleasure of spending a night at The Howard. This was really a business trip booked at short notice. Since I had reserved a single room I had expected a small pokey room with a dreary outlook. to the rear of the hotel..but not at all...I was shown to super triple windowed room with comfortable double bed and an excellent bathroom looking out into Great King Street. Breakfast was just excellent and all of the staff extremely pleasant and attentive. Sadly I was only there for one night but I hope to stay again and would recommend this hotel very highly. For the comfort and quality on offer it was also excellent value.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Another fantastic review for The Howard and I was thrilled to read how we managed to surpass this customer's expectations - rest assured - there are no "pokey" rooms at the hotel, and in times of low occupancy we will always try to upgrade our guests wherever possible on a complimentary basis.

There are newer reviews for The Howard

Reviewed November 9, 2012

A lovely couple of days in a lovely hotel booked last minute. Beautiful room full of character, large spacious bathroom and a quiet location but easy walking distance to the city. A fabulous breakfast, a rarity these days. We will be back. Pauine s.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

A great write up and one that perfectly encapsulates the "Howard Experience"! My thanks to this guest for their custom and for taking the time to share their experience.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed in the Howard for my husbands 40th birthday, we stayed in a terraced suite, "The Marchmont" the room was amazing, 2 bathrooms one with a double Jacuzzi bath, a living room and very large bedroom with a very comfy bed, these rooms had private entrance direct to the suite so you didn’t have to walk through the hotels (also good for smokers as it has a small private outdoors area to sit)- all the staff were very friendly and helpful, we arrived rather late and very tired after long delays due to the A1 being closed and having a long diversion, we were welcomed by the reception staff, a butler came out and took our car while we went through and waited, he then took us to our room, we ordered room service, nice fresh food and reasonable price, alcohol a little on the expensive side but not ridiculous. The breakfast was lovely, the restaurant was a little too quiet so decided on the second night to have the pre paid evening meal in the room, a butler came up about half an hour before we were due to eat and set up the table, candles napkins the whole set up was excellent. The butler was a young man who was lovely and so friendly I wish I could name him as he was great, but sadly I didn’t get his name. The food was very good, all fresh cooked and very tasty, not a huge selection but enough for one nights choice.
Overall I would recommend this hotel without hesitation. If you like super modern then this hotel would not be for you, as its very traditionally decorated, very luxuriously decorated but very much a period hotel, but if you like warm, friendly, personal hotels then this would be a great choice.

Room Tip: Terraced rooms are beautiful, wonderful for a special treat
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

A super review, and most comprehensive! The young Butler in question is called Barry and I will be sure to pass on this guest's very kind words to him regarding the service they received at The Howard.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband booked The Howard as a last minute treat as we were going to a friends wedding reception in Edinburgh. We were greeted at the door and our car parked for us followed by Stuart the butler who took our luggage to the room. We stayed in the Drumsheugh room which was extremely spacious with an ensuite which had a roll top bath, shower cubicle and his and her sinks. They arranged taxis to get us to and from the venue and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast the following morning was first class with plenty of choice. It's a short walk from George and Princes Street and many other city centre attractions. If you want a discreet, luxurious stay in a 5 star hotel, this is the place to go. We'll definitely be back soon!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Yet another fantastic review for The Howard and my thanks to this traveller for sharing such kind words with the wider community. We look forward to welcoming them again sometime soon....

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

We spent our honeymoon at The Howard and by the end we just didn't want to leave. Perhaps it is unfair to review the room because our honeymoon suite was truly palatial, and possibly a different class to the rest of the rooms. But what you will get at this hotel in absolutely top drawer service from start to finish. In fact, the brilliant service started before we even arrived, the head butler emailed me the week before to find out whether there was anything that he could prepare for us before we arrived. I chose a large bouquet of flowers and chocolates. The hotel prides themselves on their complimentary service: teas brought to you room, your car parked and bags brought in, the list goes on. All of this works to make you feel extra welcome and important to them. The hotel is virtually invisible from the outside, we drove past it at first, but the interior is lavishly decorated. Location wise, you are 10 minutes walk from the tourist district, and there are some wonderful restaurants within a few block's radius. I'm pleased that we found this hotel, and because they made our week so special, we will be sure to use them again.

1  Thank Barry0001

I am thrilled to read that these guests chose The Howard for such a special occasion and I am pleased to hear that the Honeymoon was such a success. I do look forward to welcoming them again soon (first anniversary perhaps?), and allow me to extend our congratulations and very best wishes to the Happy Couple on behalf of all at The Howard.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

My Mum and stayed at the Howard in Edinburgh and had a great time.

We stayed in the Dundas room which is a standard twin with ensuite bathroom. The room was well decorated and spacious (although the view was a little drab - the car park at the back). The bathroom was gorgeous, all marble tiles, his and hers sinks, bath robes, slippers and beautiful Penhaligons toiletries.

The best thing about this hotel however is the service. We made use of the Butler service which is free. They brought us Coffee and Tea any time of day or night on request, every night when we came back to the room the beds had been turned down ready for us to fall into - it was like being a Queen!

The food at breakfast was excellent and there was lots to choose from. We were served coffee in the Drawing Room on arrival, they drove our car round the back to park it and took the cases to the room - fab!

You may think that this place is expensive but when you compare what you get to other 4 or 5 star hotels in town, it is well worth the money! Enjoy.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Another first class review, and the team and I are hugely grateful to this particular traveller for taking the time to highlight all the elements that, we hope, make The Howard so special. Hope to see them again soon and I will ensure their next visit is as impresssive as their first.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

The best hotel ever! I love their services and their kindness. I have never been to such a great hotel. The people at the hotel are very helpful and nice and I really enjoyed the stay at the Howard. I think its a great experience in life to live at the Howard and I will definitely go back someday in the future. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank peggy y

Not just a fantastic review but a truly humbling one too...to be described as the "best hotel ever" is truly wonderful and my sincerest thanks to this guest for their wonderful sentiments. I need say no more!