“Smart city hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Essex, UK
“Smart city hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2007

I spent 2 nights at this great hotel. The location is great as everything is Edinburgh is a walk away if you don't mind hills!
The decor is smart and ornate; but not stuffy.
The staff are friendly, happy to help and very accomidating to all your needs. I was greated just as I left the taxi by staff who took my bags.
The suite was excellent; huge canopy bed. marble tiled bathroom and sofa area. It was elegant, comfortable and had everything you needed. Penhaligons toilettries are avaialble along with robes and slippers.
The resturant is good and you can opt to have food in your room if you wish to private dine or breakfast.
Th afternoon tea is very good and they will happily refresh your plate!
I would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a upmarket getaway in the heart iof Edinburgh.

• Liked — Location and rooms
  • Disliked — Noise from road outside
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank davenport5577

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2007

My husband and I got married in edinburgh castle in June and after looking through many hotel websites we chose to stay in The Howard over the wedding.

Took us a couple of times driving up and down Gt King Street before we found the hotel - it looks like a terraced house from the outside. We parked the car up outside and within minutes our butler Roy was bringing our bags in and then parked the car up for us in a free private car park to the rear of the hotel.

We arrived early so our room wasnt yet ready. We had loads of luggage, wedding dress, suits, bridesmaids dresses etc and the hotel kindly stored this all for us in a secure room.

Our first impression when we walked into the hotel was "wow". Such a lovely building with lots of character - it was very grand. Staff were lovely and immediately offered us tea, coffee and toast in the drawing room.

As I was getting married the next morning I had to rush off to various appointments and when I returned the staff had moved all our stuff into our room. My bridesmaid and I stayed in one of their deluxe bedrooms the first night, which was a twin room. Lovely room with lots of original features and a huge bathroom with sink, bath and a separate shower - it was as big as the bedroom. The room was very clean and the beds very comfortable. We had a fantastic cooked breakfast served in our room on the morning of the wedding.

In order for us to have more space to get ready, the suite we booked for our wedding night was still occupied the hotel kindly allowed us to use their "Trinity Suite" which is downstairs and has a front door which opens out into a courtyard. What a gorgeous room, decorated in navy and golds and a huge square bath in the bathroom. I rang reception and asked for an iron in order to press my dress. Two of the hotel staff came down to the room, took my wedding dress and veil and pressed these for me, I thought that was very nice of them. My family arrived a short time later and the hotel had kindly chilled champagne which I had brought with me and served this to my guests - they didnt have to do this, I also thought that was very nice.

We had booked the "Abercrombie" suite for the night of the wedding and also the night after. When my hubby and I returned after 1 am all our stuff had been moved into that suite. The hotel had also been chilling a bottle of champagne for me for the wedding night.. that was already on ice in the room for us. The abercrombie is decorated in rich reds, with a king size 4 poster bed. The bathroom had a normal sized bath but a large shower.

The place was clean, rooms were lovely and the service was second to none. If we needed anything all we had to do was lift the phone - nothing was ever too much bother. The staff were fantastic and we were certainly very well looked after.

The place is a little on the pricey side but getting married is a once in a lifetime experience so we didnt mind how much it cost. It is set in a very quiet location but still only a short walk to Princess Street. There is also a very nice selection of trendy bars and restaurants close by in George Street.

I wouldnt hesitate to stay here again, funds permitting.

• Liked — The grandness of the place
  • Disliked — Nothing, I couldnt fault it
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
17 Thank MrsandMrT
los angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

We planned to stay in Edinburgh for a week and chose the Howard because we had a child with us and it looked like they had a large luxurious sutie. We were given their largest suite, the Marchmont. On a positive note, the hotel is located in an upscale residential area in Edinburgh. It is an easy walk to George St. where the nicest shops and restaurants are located. It is a short cab ride to the central area and major sites (i.e. castle, museums, shows, palaces, etc.) The location is fine. We were greeted warmly at check -in by a very nice staff person. There were however, many other issues for us which actually caused us to check out and move to another hotel. We regularly stay at five star properties and smalll luxury hotels. We were paying 420pounds + taxes, etc. so one night was 550 pounds which was $1,089 dollars so we expected a high quality experience. It was pouring when we arrived. There were three of us and we asked for umbrellas. We were given two flimsy fold-ups. One of the two was broken and we were told that was all they had when we asked for another. The hotel provided shampoo. We called and asked for conditioner and were told they did not have any. I consider both very basic five star amenities. When we opened our window to look out to the garden there was a large bucket of cigarette butts outside the window. The suite was large and the bathrooms are remodeled tastefully. However, my husband who is 6'1", 230 found it very cramped in the master shower. I took a shower in the secondary bath. I am 5'10" and had to duck to get under the showerhead. The larger suites are subterranean and have a very dank mildewy feeling. The lighting was too dim to see whether it was actually dusty as I see other reviewers reported but I was sneezing incessantly the entire time I was in the suite. We ordered a very simple breakfast in the room which was horrible and we left as the croissants were stale. This property is much more like a quirky B & B than a small luxury hotel. The Howard was the greatest discrepancy between price/ website and actual product/value we have ever experienced. At first the hotel tried to suggest that we had to pay for our entire stay after checking out after one night. It was very disappointing and we felt lucky that the hotel honored their cancellation policy which we had in writing. This was after we told them we had the written policy they had sent to us.

• Liked — the web-site
  • Disliked — the actual place
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
10 Thank tripindicular1
Cave Creek, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2007

My husband, daughter, and I stayed at The Howard for 3 nights in July - what a fabulous experience! From the butler service to the beautifully decorated suite, drawing room, and breakfast room, this hotel aims to please. We were incredibly lucky to have Fernando as our butler - he made our visit so special. We will definitely stay at The Howard again.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank MSTC
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2007

Part of my honeymoon and extremely disappointing, all blamed on a wedding they were hosting at the time - not a good enough excuse in my book.

Had booked champagne to be ready on arrival - not there when arrived.

Our personal butler changed every time he/she appeared, despite assurances when I was arranging the honeymoon that we would have personal attention from one person.

The DVD player in the room didn't work.

Breakfast in our room arrived with a half-eaten bowl of porridge from the day before left in the warming drawer.

One of my wife's rings went "missing" from the sink in the bathroom and we were practically accused of having mislaid it ourselves. Miraculously it arrived in the post (without any covering note or letter of explanation) a week after our stay.

I complained to reception on leaving and was offered a glass of champagne, just as I was out to drive 500 miles back to London.

After the stay we wrote to the hotel and copied the chairman of the group and never received a response - obviously our custom simply didn't matter.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled as a couple
13 Thank JHAB
jofishEdinburgh, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this review, August 4, 2007
I am grateful to the reviewer for their review about their stay at The Howard. There is one slight inaccuracy in the review - The guest has not visited or stayed at The Howard this year but stayed with us in OCTOBER 2005

There were problems with the guests stay , as highlighted in the review. The guests comments were of course taken extremely seriously and was in fact contacted by myself after their stay.In the two years since this guests stay , The Howard has continued to develop and improve the service that we offer our guests . We will always strive to meet and exceed all of our guests expectations.
NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2007

Based on Trip Advisor reviews, which have been so helpful and accurate, we were looking forward to our two nights at The Howard. There was only one negative review (July '06) which I only noticed after our trip and it couldn't have been more accurate! The Howard, particularly for the price point, looks great upon immediate first impression, but quickly, the impression didn't match up with the experience. On the positive side, the room was large (not a suite, the deluxe - our daughter had the standard, which was good size as well). The bedside lamps were covered in dust (no, not a bit of dust, COVERED) and the bedding was terrible - sheets and a poly blend blanket of the sort that would be in a budget motel.
Dinner was just okay - not awful, but nothing to rave about. Breakfast was the same and the poached eggs were hard boiled, not poached. Again, at this price point - the eggs should be cooked properly! Coffee was terrible.
The waiter at dinner was great - friendly, yet non-intrusive. The staff were fine, but did nothing out of the ordinary especially given their promotion of their unique "butler" service. We didn't have any sense of what that's about - but certainly, everyone was nice enough.
We stayed at two other hotels (Parkcity in London & Arundel House Restaurant & Rooms in West Sussex - both well reviewed on Trip Advisor) during our UK vacation and both were far, far better in all ways than The Howard.
Maybe the suites are cleaner and have better bedding??
Down at the heels and frayed - and not in a charming way.

• Liked — Good waiter at dinner
  • Disliked — Worn, awful bedding, room wasn't clean
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
15 Thank lola9
edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2007

Stayed at the howard for one night with my boyfriend for an anniversary treat, Hotel was lovely we stayed in a suite which was luxurious and spacious. We dined in our room was was nice and the butler service was not intrusive or overbearing just perfect. The meal that we had was delicious and very satisfying. We also opted to have breakfast in our room which was also a nice treat. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff at the howard, from point of booking until departure, great service, just a shame we couldnt have stayed longer.

• Liked — everything!!!
  • Disliked — Bit noisy in the morning with traffic, depends on room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple