“Better than expected”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #56 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I had very high hopes for this hotel considering its location and reputation and I wasn't let down at all. The service was impeccable, the room incredibly comfortable, and the location was fantastic. My only regret is that I only had 1 night to stay. I will definitely be back and plan to stay much longer next time.

Room Tip: Even the rooms without a few of the castle are lovely.
1  Thank HaveWineWilTravel
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear HaveWineWilTravel,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear we had the opportunity to welcome you to Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh – The Caledonian. I am very pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Thought the building is lovely and situated in a excellent place, the service from the hotel staff has much more to be desired! I expect more from a Waldorf Astoria hotel and far more from those who work there! It creates a bad name for the brand and I doubt I shall ever again pay a visit to this hotel in future.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank DavidR9091
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear DavidR9091,

I am pleased to read that you found the hotel to be situated in a convenient location for visiting Edinburgh. On the other hand, as you can see from our other numerous five star reviews, it is extremely unusual to hear the hotel staff members are rude and unhelpful. Many of our other reviewers feel that the staff members provide excellent luxury service and the ‘The Caley’ is proud of outstanding service we provide as a Waldorf Astoria Hotel. The information provided would be more accurate if you had mentioned the specifics, however without such detail, we would unfortunately be unable to re-train, or discipline certain team members should this be true. Moreover, should you wish to provide details of your stay, I would be more than happy to deal with the issues personally.

Regards,

Chris Logan

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Just returned from 6 nights at the Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh. We were in room 202 which had a king size bed with a fantastic view of the castle. At night there are fireworks at the castle & it is such a beautiful sight to see. It is even pretty in the fog!
The room and the bathroom are very spacious - our room had a very nice size walk in closet with drawers & safe. The bath products are Salvatore Ferragamo & there is a heated towel rack which is lovely in chilly weather.

The hotel is located right in the middle of the tourist activities but was also very close to the business area where my husband was working. The hotel has air conditioning but we opened the windows to cool off the room while we were there - using the a/c only at night. The hotel staff was very accommodating & helpful with restaurant suggestions, taxis, etc. One morning I had a wake up call & slept through the call. Someone came up to my room & knocked on the door (which I still did not hear). Then they opened the door to check on me to be sure that I was ok & wake me up so I would not miss my tour that day - could not believe they would be so attentive & helpful.

The breakfast was very good & we enjoyed the bar at the end of each day to relax after walking around to see the sights. The hotel used to be a railway station so has lots of history & character.

I would definitely stay here again because of the location, service and amenities that this hotel offers. Great choice for business or touring Edinburgh!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read your outstanding review! I am extremely glad to read you had a comfortable and enjoyable business and leisure trip! I will personally share your kind comments with the team regarding their attentive and helpful service.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Me and my colleagues recently stayed here a few days throughout a short trip in Scotland. The hotel itself captures the essence of the city through its unique location and architecture - warm and welcoming staff especially at breakfast cause as far as I remember Athena and Dimitris were always above us ready to help our needs . We loved the spacious rooms. I only wish we could have stayed longer and we hope to return. I am so glad that we chose The Caledonian. I will definitely recommend the hotel to my friends.

Regards
KASTANAKIS KONSTANTINOS

Dear Kostas K,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am delighted to read your business trip was a success at ‘The Caley’ and you had a very enjoyable stay!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and from entering the hotel the staff, on the whole, very pleasant and efficient. The room was excellent, a little background noise was evident but not a big deal. The slight negative was the staff in the Caley Bar. The manager had no personable at tributes, obviously well qualified but no people skills. This apart, a very good stay and certainly will return.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Cuban_golds,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read your comments regarding our helpful and attentive staff members and the warm welcome you recieved on arrival. I will personally address your comments regarding our Caley Bar with our management team directly to ensure all staff members provide the excellent luxury service we are proud of as a Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed in room 516 and had the most astonishing view of Edinburgh Castle. Staff were courteous and helpful. The Restaurant could stand a bit more ambience but the food was delicious. I am glad that we stayed there and would stay again. Fantastic!!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 341sharonr

Dear Sharon R,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am pleased to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay in particular the amazing view of Edinburgh Castle from your bedroom.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ again soon!

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Sorry for the duplicate review, but reposting from my old profile with some new points
Took tram from airport, beautiful ride to hotel and then less than 5 mins walk. OK if you have a suitcase and are travelling light.
Very warmly met by all staff members, everyone is extremely helpful .
Location is excellent, walk everywhere , HOHO sightseeing busses stop right outside. Very close to wonderful restaurants.
Easy walk to castle with kids. Don't miss the Saturday farmers market nearby! Groceries easily available from Tesco, Sainsbury almost on doorstep- made it very easy with kids. Breakfast buffet was excellent to start day of sightseeing :)
Pool, gym and steam sauna little hard to find, but very nice!
Room service fare was ok.
Kids enjoyed the pizza - very generous servings, easy for evenings when their poor legs can't carry them anymore :)
We requested a 2 queen bed room for the kids, room on second floor was very spacious! Beds were extremely comfy, room has tassimo machine with plenty of tea coffee and milk! Nice sized bathroom with large tub, bath toys for kids were a nice touch :)
One lunch at peacock alley - very good, but food choices are plentiful outside too.
Thanks for the excellent stay- highly recommended !

Room Tip: I emailed and requested large room with two queen beds because we were travelling with two boys. The...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank midas

Dear Midas,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am extremely pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay in Edinburgh and experienced many of the hotels facilities! I am glad you were able to relax in your comfortable, well appointed bedroom after a day out exploring the city.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ again soon!