Just back from an extended stay at this uber luxe property and I miss it already!
Our family settled in and were treated very well by the fine and professional staff. The hotel itself is something special - a cross between Downton Abbey meets 5th avenue co op, high style set in a historic building.
The location is great, right off the main drag, Princes street - with excellent access to the city whether by foot train or bus.
Rooms are spacious, and while mine didn't offer any drawers, there was a large closet for hanging. Ceilings are high but windows are drafty. Because the hotel sits on a corner and at the base of a 24 hour taxi stand flanking a bar and a resto, room noise can be a problem, but we encountered this only on Saturday nights around bar closing time...3am. Light sleepers beware and consider asking for a room which faces the back streets.
The downside of our room was the beds, which for this type of property were a disappointment. The mattresses were not very comfy and the springs on one of the beds had seen better days. High quality linens and overall cleanliness do make up for these thin mattresses however.
We enjoyed the restaurant for breakfasts at the Gauvin - highly suggest giving it a try. The selection and quality of food surpassed my expectations, and the staff- chefs and front of house are a fine and compelling bunch, great way to start a day in Edinburgh.
High end hotels are a dime a dozen, but at the Caledonian, you get the sense that the staff, from the housekeeping to the concierges, managers, front desk, and restaurant staff actually enjoy their work and take pride in it and their fine city. For me that a great hotel experience makes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, or the "Caley" as it has become affectionately known among Edinburgh folk, was and still is the epitome of style and excellence. The large, rose-coloured Permian sandstone facade, quarried in Dumfries, dominates the skyline of the city's west end. The hotel has not only remained a focal point for more than one hundred years, but a symbol of the very best of Scottish hospitality. The Caley's pivotal position at the very heart of Edinburgh has always been its greatest asset. Created out of the 19th century railway boom, the five star hotel is looking to the future with confidence and pride in its ability to keep pace with the times. The hotel's reputation is as justified now as it was when the hotel first opened its doors in 1903. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton International Edinburgh
- Hilton Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hilton
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian Scotland