We booked a long weekend here as a rare treat.
It was absolutely lovely. Huge hotel, great location. Biggish pool for a city centre, nice sauna and steam room. Breakfast was good. Didn't try the hotel restaurants (too pricey for us!)
We were very lucky to be upgraded to a double double deluxe room, which was fabulous. A bed each! Beds very comfy. Spacious room. Beautifully decorated. Luxurious robes.
The Caley Bar is great - we had a drink there every evening. Not too expensive for a hotel bar. Great service, free pot of nibbles on arrival (wasabi peas, habas fritas) the bar snacks were good too.
A few comments about the room: Fresh milk should be provided in the mini bar as those little UHT packs are hopeless and spoil the taste of the Nespresso - need about 8 to make a decent cup of coffee! There was a constant hum outside as if from an air conditioning unit or generator. I wear earplugs so it was ok, but might have been annoying otherwise. Something I found a little strange was the bedding - they use two flat sheets to sandwich a duvet, rather than a duvet cover. I don't like to be tucked in, so had to untuck the sheet at the bottom, and by the morning I was sleeping under a partly-uncovered duvet.
There were a few very minor niggles during our stay but these were quickly rectified and I can't complain but wanted to mention it as the staff dealt with them quickly and efficiently. The staff were really excellent and we were treated very well, even though we were on a special rate and didn't quite feel worthy of a 5* experience!
We would definitely go back to this hotel when we next visit Edinburgh. At the rate we had, it was very good value. Not sure we could afford full price, but even so it is probably worth it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, or the "Caley" as it has become affectionately known among Edinburgh folk, was and still is the epitome of style and excellence. The large, rose-coloured Permian sandstone facade, quarried in Dumfries, dominates the skyline of the city's west end. The hotel has not only remained a focal point for more than one hundred years, but a symbol of the very best of Scottish hospitality. The Caley's pivotal position at the very heart of Edinburgh has always been its greatest asset. Created out of the 19th century railway boom, the five star hotel is looking to the future with confidence and pride in its ability to keep pace with the times. The hotel's reputation is as justified now as it was when the hotel first opened its doors in 1903. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Ctrip TA, Evoline ltd, Agoda, Priceline, Hilton EMEA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton International Edinburgh
- Hilton Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hilton
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian Scotland