“Lovely hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We booked a long weekend here as a rare treat.

It was absolutely lovely. Huge hotel, great location. Biggish pool for a city centre, nice sauna and steam room. Breakfast was good. Didn't try the hotel restaurants (too pricey for us!)

We were very lucky to be upgraded to a double double deluxe room, which was fabulous. A bed each! Beds very comfy. Spacious room. Beautifully decorated. Luxurious robes.

The Caley Bar is great - we had a drink there every evening. Not too expensive for a hotel bar. Great service, free pot of nibbles on arrival (wasabi peas, habas fritas) the bar snacks were good too.

A few comments about the room: Fresh milk should be provided in the mini bar as those little UHT packs are hopeless and spoil the taste of the Nespresso - need about 8 to make a decent cup of coffee! There was a constant hum outside as if from an air conditioning unit or generator. I wear earplugs so it was ok, but might have been annoying otherwise. Something I found a little strange was the bedding - they use two flat sheets to sandwich a duvet, rather than a duvet cover. I don't like to be tucked in, so had to untuck the sheet at the bottom, and by the morning I was sleeping under a partly-uncovered duvet.

There were a few very minor niggles during our stay but these were quickly rectified and I can't complain but wanted to mention it as the staff dealt with them quickly and efficiently. The staff were really excellent and we were treated very well, even though we were on a special rate and didn't quite feel worthy of a 5* experience!

We would definitely go back to this hotel when we next visit Edinburgh. At the rate we had, it was very good value. Not sure we could afford full price, but even so it is probably worth it!

Room Tip: If you want a view, be sure to ask when booking
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Buggletown,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay overall, including the positive experience in our Guerlain Spa. I would like to ensure you that we do provide fresh milk complimentary milk via our In-Room Dining department on request, and I do hope that you are able to make use of this facility in the future should you have the opportunity to return to the ‘Caley’.

Kind regards,

Dale MacPhee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The positives - location is excellent and the view from our room of the castle was wonderful. The negative side of this though, is that even when you are up on the 4th floor you can hear LOTS of street noise at night from both people and vehicles. So it is not the quietest of places. I have stayed in lots of city centre hotels, from Russia to Spain to the USA and this was one of the noisiest. I assume that they can not put secondary glazing in due to the age of the property?

The spa/pool area is wretched and is one of the worst "spas" that I have ever gone to in terms of cleanliness and dreariness. The pool and jacuzzi area is a sorry sight to behold and the smell of chemicals in the jacuzzi is so intense that you don't want to stay in there for long, so don't bother booking this hotel if you are after a lovely spa experience. I can't comment on the treatments since we did not have any.

The bed was hard. The pillows were lovely and soft.

The bathroom was tiny and the taps did not work properly in the bath.

The brasserie is superb and the food and service was excellent. Peacock Alley was also very pleasant and relaxing with a great choice of drinks and attentive staff.

Room Tip: As high up as you can get to avoid the noise from the road and pavements outside.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Annecy09,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. As a city centre hotel in Edinburgh, unfortunately there will always be some noise disturbance from our wonderful castle view rooms. However, we would encourage our travellers to advise us of a request for a quiet room prior to arrival. I feel that your overview of our Guerlain Spa is a little harsh, and we received many positive comments on what is again, a city centre leisure facility exclusive to our guests.

On the other hand, I am delighted that the room was to your satisfaction, and your dining experiences were superb, and I do hope that you will return to the ‘Caley’ again in the future.

Kind regards,

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights, over valentines weekend. Location was excellent
Started our trip with a lovely cocktail in the hotels peacock alley. Then decided to walk through to the hotels Caley bar and get another celebratory drink. However, the man came and took our order and demanded I.D from both myself and my boyfriend. As we were staying there and had left my purse upstairs I had none on me, my boyfriend did
. The man then reiterated challenge 25 and refused us our drinks. At this point I would like to say I am in my 30s!! I do look young for my age but certainly don't look under the drinking legal age. I just was made to feel so uncomfortable that it put a dampener on our visit. For the rest of our trip we drank at local bars and I was never asked for ID there!
Also the hotels jacuzzi was broken the day we arrived, which we werent aware of until we had gone down to the spa!
it was however fixed 2 days later and it was lovely.
Also I think Wifi should be free in guests rooms.

• Stayed February 2014
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Northwestla,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to hear overall you enjoyed your stay with us. It is certainly disappointing to hear you were made to feel extremely embarrassed in our Caley Bar. Please rest assured this has been brought to the attention of our Bar Manager as this is not the service we aim to deliver to our guests as a Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I apologise you were not made aware of the Jacuzzi being out of service during your stay, however I am pleased this was rectified for the rest of your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.
Rhode Island, USA
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here in December- 2013, while in the city visiting the Christmas Markets. We were given a room overlooking the the castle- beautiful during the day and stunning at night. This Waldorf property is in an older historic building - rooms down each hallway are very different from each other- a refreshing change from most cookie-cutter properties. The location is great for exploring Edinburgh on foot- but there is a main bus stop for local buses and tour buses right in front of the hotel. The staff is wonderful, attentive and "warm" for a Waldorf property- kudos to the management!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 1LifeisaJourney
Dear 1lifeisajourney,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. It is a pleasure to read your amazing review regarding your stay with us before Christmas. I am pleased you were able to experience the Christmas markets and other attractions that were centrally located to the hotel. I will personally pass on your kind thanks to the team!We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stayed here in January to celebrate my husbands birthday. On arrival to our room there was a plate with chocolates saying Happy Birthday which was a lovely surprise.
We were given a free upgrade from a King Deluxe to a King Deluxe with View which was a nice touch (likely because the hotel was quiet and I am an Accor Club member).
Our room was massive and had beautiful views of Edinburgh Castle and Princes Street. The bed was very comfy and the bathroom was massive with good lighting.
We never had dinner in the hotel, but did have drinks in Peacock Alley, where the service was friendly and the cocktails were delicious.
We had breakfast the next morning in the brasserie. It was approx £20pp and there was an excellent selection of food, with the chefs constantly coming out to replace items.
This is a beautiful hotel with great service, and we would definitely return. I am now looking forward to my upcoming stay at the Waldorf Astoria New York even more

Room Tip: King Deluxe with View has amazing views of Edinburgh Castle
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoLoAberdeen
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear Joloaberdeen,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to read your excellent review and I am pleased you very much enjoyed your husband’s birthday celebration at ‘The Caley’ and all aspects of the hotel. I am glad you are looking forward to your stay at our Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Lancashire
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed two nights in a king deluxe room. No view of the castle but facing the quieter Rutland Street so better if you are a light sleeper. The room had high quality bathroom and furnishings with Nespresso machine, bathrobes and slippers. Housekeeping was excellent replenishing refreshments and toiletries each day. Would love to have stayed longer and will certainly return.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank discerningcouple
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear discerning couple,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am pleased to hear you very much enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the comfortable and quiet bedroom with luxurious amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Exactly what you would expect of an old 5* hotel.

Wonderful service, excellent surroundings, superb ambience.

Two other things to note:
1. The staff seem genuinely happy.
2. The bars seem to be places where ladies can go without being concerned about unwanted attention.

We had not known it was Calcutta Cup (Scotland vs England at rugby) weekend in Edinburgh. A very busy weekend - also serendipity. The hotel deals with the weekend very well and allows guests numerous internal venues in which to watch the games.

Also the room was wonderfully quiet, comfortable, roomy and clean. The bed was excellent.

A truly excellent hotel.

Room Tip: View is good but you´ll probably spend little time in the room. Non-view rooms are very quiet.
1 Thank Sutherland1964
Dear Sutherland1964.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to read your excellent review and I am glad you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel. I am pleased you found your room comfortable and quiet but also enjoyed the rugby atmosphere! We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.