The Deluxe room was spacious with nice touches such as coffee machine and a docking station. The spa is lovely and you has views of the castle from the swimming pool. The hotel has been recently refurbished and is beautifully and tastefully done.
We did find, however, it is disappointing that onw has to pay extra for wifi and that there wasn't even a single complimentary drink or fruits or anything else provided for that price. Shame, as the little things make a stay memorable.
Service was the weakest point of all. Not very helpful staff. Out room wasn't ready when we arrived before noon. We were asked to leave our mobile and were promised to be called when it was. This never happened probably as staff changed shifts. We returned in late afternoon to be told that the room was ready for a while. No one knew that they were supposed to call us. That's not what you expect from such an hotel. Made us feel not imporatnt.
The Guest Relations Manager at the Caledonian had the courtesy to respond our worries. Re the WIFI, he told us that the hotel offers complimentary WIFI in their public areato s (however that's pretty standard these days actually). There is a charge for bedroom WIFI, and this charge is currently under review with thier management team. While he was sorry to learn we found the staff members unhelpful during our stay; he said he would personally share our comments with thier front office team to ensure the level of service they are proud of as a Waldorf Astoria is maintained at all times.
In short, it would appear then that the similar lack of attention to detail we found to the staffs' approach during our stay is seen in his response to our review. If improving customer experience was a true priority we feel he would have spent time finding out the staff working on the day of our arrival and briefed them in person rather than the more 'general', limited approach he seems to have taken.
The other two hotels we stayed in during our stay in Scotland appeared to pay a little more attention to detail and valued each and every customer's experience equally.
We therefore will look to spend our next stay in Edinburgh at a different hotel to the Caledonian.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, or the "Caley" as it has become affectionately known among Edinburgh folk, was and still is the epitome of style and excellence. The large, rose-coloured Permian sandstone facade, quarried in Dumfries, dominates the skyline of the city's west end. The hotel has not only remained a focal point for more than one hundred years, but a symbol of the very best of Scottish hospitality. The Caley's pivotal position at the very heart of Edinburgh has always been its greatest asset. Created out of the 19th century railway boom, the five star hotel is looking to the future with confidence and pride in its ability to keep pace with the times. The hotel's reputation is as justified now as it was when the hotel first opened its doors in 1903. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton International Edinburgh
- Hilton Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hilton
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian Scotland