“Poorest service alla round! Better top quality hotels in Edinburgh”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #56 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Deluxe room was spacious with nice touches such as coffee machine and a docking station. The spa is lovely and you has views of the castle from the swimming pool. The hotel has been recently refurbished and is beautifully and tastefully done.

We did find, however, it is disappointing that onw has to pay extra for wifi and that there wasn't even a single complimentary drink or fruits or anything else provided for that price. Shame, as the little things make a stay memorable.

Service was the weakest point of all. Not very helpful staff. Out room wasn't ready when we arrived before noon. We were asked to leave our mobile and were promised to be called when it was. This never happened probably as staff changed shifts. We returned in late afternoon to be told that the room was ready for a while. No one knew that they were supposed to call us. That's not what you expect from such an hotel. Made us feel not imporatnt.

The Guest Relations Manager at the Caledonian had the courtesy to respond our worries. Re the WIFI, he told us that the hotel offers complimentary WIFI in their public areato s (however that's pretty standard these days actually). There is a charge for bedroom WIFI, and this charge is currently under review with thier management team. While he was sorry to learn we found the staff members unhelpful during our stay; he said he would personally share our comments with thier front office team to ensure the level of service they are proud of as a Waldorf Astoria is maintained at all times.

In short, it would appear then that the similar lack of attention to detail we found to the staffs' approach during our stay is seen in his response to our review. If improving customer experience was a true priority we feel he would have spent time finding out the staff working on the day of our arrival and briefed them in person rather than the more 'general', limited approach he seems to have taken.

The other two hotels we stayed in during our stay in Scotland appeared to pay a little more attention to detail and valued each and every customer's experience equally.

We therefore will look to spend our next stay in Edinburgh at a different hotel to the Caledonian.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Reisb88
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Reisb88,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am pleased to read you enjoyed the spa and found the rooms well equipped. I have spoken with the Guest Relations Manager regarding the issues you experienced in September. Please accept my apologies once again for the inconvenience caused to you regarding the follow up phone call from our front office team.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed January 6, 2014

When travelling to Edinburgh, look no further if you want quality service, luxurious accommodation and great location. The Caley is located in the shadow of the castle, and is in the perfect location for exploring the city on foot, or by the open top bus, which stops directly across the street from the hotel. The service is impeccable from the entire staff. I highly enjoyed sitting in the lounge on a rainy afternoon, having tea while listening to a gorgeous harp player play a mix of classical and pop songs. The bar staff is very knowledgeable about Whisky (talk to Lee, especially). The breakfasts are terrific. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Oxfordaja,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am pleased to read your excellent review, in particular the professional and friendly service you received. I am delighted you thought all aspects of the hotel were outstanding; I will personally pass on your kind comments to the entire team!

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Spent New Year in Edinburgh and would highly recommend the Caledonian. The staff were exceptional to say the least. Perfect position also for everything Edinburgh has to offer. Pricey but certainly felt the money spent was justified

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear David M,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to read you very much enjoyed your stay with us over Hogmanay. I am pleased the staff members exceeded your expectations with the service they provided.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Good service all round with very attentive staff. We spent an evening at this hotel as a family of 6 (four children aged 14,11,8 & 4) and were treated like royalty from every member of staff that we were lucky enough to come in contact with. The room was well equipped and had everything we required. No complaints whatsoever, a truly grand Scottish hotel!

Room Tip: Castle View room "does what it says on the tin" and worth the extra
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Mike K,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am extremely pleased you were provided with excellent service from all areas of the hotel during your stay. I am delighted you and your family had a very enjoyable time with us and you found the rooms well equipped with views of the magnificent Edinburgh Castle!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We wanted something special for new years day and afternoon tea fit the bill. It was a tricky decision between the Caledonian and the Balmoral but i was swayed by having stayed at the Caledonian a few years back and being impressed. That and some not so great reviews of the Balmoral afternoon tea when i booked.

When we arrived (1.15pm) Peacock Alley was quite quiet and we were soon shown to our seats and given the menu. We chose one standard tea and one special tea. The special one had some different cakes and a higher standard of sandwich. There is a wide range of teas to choose from and the ones we had (honeybush and assam) were lovely.

Peacock Alley is a lovely area of the hotel to relax in for a while. The chairs are comfortable and the decor beautiful, especially as they had the Christmas decorations still out. It also does not feel crowded.

The only small criticism i would say is the afternoon tea is quite cream heavy. Obviously you get cream with the scones but there was also a choux pastry swan filled with cream, a trifle with cream, cream on top of one of the cakes and on the more expensive tea, there was also a really creamy tiramisu! Maybe ease up on the creamy cakes a little as i am a big cake fan and it made even me feel a little queasy!

I must say, someone on a recent review has said that they found the staff to be poor in Peacock Alley but we found the opposite, all of them were warm and helpful. A pet hate of mine is when you go to a 5 star hotel only to have the staff seem pretentious but this could not be said of the team here. At no point were we made to feel rushed, despite it being quite full when we left.

Peacock Alley is a great place to spend some time, as is The Caley. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lesley150

Dear Lesley150,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am pleased to hear you very much enjoyed your afternoon tea with us in Peacock Alley. I will personally share your thoughts on the cakes with our Executive chef and the team who pride themselves on the service they provide during afternoon tea.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I have just spent a night here and wanted to acknowledge the excellent level of customer care from staff in this hotel. Every member of staff that I came across was extremely polite and nothing was too much bother. They could not have been more friendly or helpful. I left my car with a porter at the front door and the next day, it was brought back to me, whereby I was escorted through the pouring rain with an umbrella ..... so helpful! The room was very spacious, clean and had excellent views of the castle. The location is perfect ..... very central. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a castle view!

Dear Glasgowkaza,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am extremely pleased you found every member of staff friendlily, attentive and helpful. I am delighted the luxury service you received is the service we pride ourselves on as A Waldorf Astoria Hotel!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I booked a three night stay here for my parents over New Year's Eve, including entry to the Hogmanay Ball, as a Christmas gift.

I made the booking well in advance by telephone and payment was made in full on 20 November. During the booking I explained what I was doing and requested the hotel and Ball brochures so that I could wrap them up. I was assured that they would be sent, together with an e-mail confirming the booking details.

By 2 December, I had not received any e-mail confirmation or brochures and so I e-mailed reservations that day, seeking a response. None was forthcoming and I therefore e-mailed again, on 16 December. I then received a reply and I again requested that the brochures be sent to me - and was again assured that this would be done.

By 22 December, the brochures had not arrived and I therefore had to e-mail the hotel again, asking that they be delivered to me in time for Christmas Day. A reply was received the following afternoon (only after I wrote again noting that I had not had the courtesy of a reply) which did not meet this request and instead suggested that an e-mail might be written up for presentation instead. I indicated that this was not acceptable and that the hotel should make arrangements for the brochures to be delivered to me within 48 hours, given my advance booking and requests. This request was then simply ignored (which I found unacceptable and was when I decided the booking was going to be cancelled and that I would book a different hotel). After a further chasing e-mail was ignored, I called the manager and was told that it would be dealt with first thing in the morning. The next morning I received an apologetic response claiming that the brochures had been sent out on 16 December (of course they were) and offering a bottle of champagne to make amends. I declined this due to the concerns I had about the service before my parents had stepped foot into the place. At this, they wrote, and I quote: "we would be very happy to cancel this reservation". Very happy? A 5* hotel?

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Marc T
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Marc T ,

Thank you for your review, and I am sorry that it appeared your experience was not as smooth as you would have liked. After some further investigation with the on property team, I am sorry to learn that though we did post the hotel brochures to your home address well in time as per Royal Mails suggested festive deliveries, that they did not arrive with you prior to Christmas Day. Though I appreciate you requested a same day delivery on Christmas Eve, unfortunately at that point we didn’t have an option to get them there within the time frame suggested. We certainly were disappointed that you chose to cancel the gift you had intended for your parents celebrations for New Year and I understand that the team on property made several exceptions to cancel your reservation and refund the money you had paid even though your package was on a non-refundable non changeable basis.

I very much hope that you managed to secure a suitable alternate gift for your parents at such short notice, but unfortunately the failure of the brochure delivery was a matter outwith our control.

I am sorry we were unable to welcome your parents for our fabulous New Year celebrations, and please do accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused. Assuring you of our best intentions.

Kind regards,