“Great stay!”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #58 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Had a great stay here with friends between Xmas & new year. My friends were over from the US and were really impressed. I haven't been in here for years but refurb that has taken place is really impressive, the character of the old building remains but with a classy update! Got checked in really quickly and up to,our rooms no problems at all. We had our rooms upgraded which was fab and we ended up in two gorgeous rooms which overlooked the castle, Princes Street and the gardens, stunning at night and gorgeous during the day!

We didn't eat in the hotel in the evening but had some drinks on returning, we were very disappointed with the bar service in Peacock Alley, it took ages to be served then forever to bring our drinks over, which when they arrived were not good and had to be returned, again took ages, not the level of service I guess a Waldorf would aspire to......

Breakfast was lovely the next day and plenty of choice of healthy options or the full cooked breakfast. Couldn't see any gluten free options available at all on any of the buffet, which was a shame.

All in all, we had a great wee stay here and will definitely be back, hoping we just caught the bar on an off night.....

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Eliza k s,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am glad you very much enjoyed your overall stay with us, in particular your complimentary upgraded rooms with view of the magnificent Edinburgh Castle! I am delighted you were impressed with the recent major refurbishment and appreciate the building’s historic character. Please accept my apologises for the disappointing service you received in Peacock Alley ,I will share your comments with our Peacock Alley Manager as this is certainly not the service we aim to provide to our guests as a Waldorf Astoria Hotel . I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast the following day; gluten free items are available on request, should this have been brought to our attention the breakfast waiters would have been more than happy to provide this for you.

Dale MacPhee

Write a ReviewReviews (3,869)

Reviewed January 5, 2014

A fantastic hotel, in a fabulous location. The location of the Caledonian couldn’t really be better, at the end of Princes Street overlooking the Castle.

The service at the hotel is fantastic, in all areas, from the moment you arrive you feel that you are in a 5 star hotel, and the staff genuinely want your stay to be great. As I say the service in all areas of the hotel was fab, but special mention must go to the waiters at breakfast. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced such good service anywhere.

We got a good deal with the hotel, booking and paying in advance, so we got good value. It is an expensive hotel, but you get what you pay for.

The room we had was fantastic, we were very kindly upgraded to a room with a view, and what a view, quite stunning views of the castle and Princess Street, that does mean that you are next to Lothian Road though which can be quite noisy. That said it didn’t really affect the quality of our sleep, and the view was worth any small disruption. The rooms themselves are very spacious and well equipped, and spotlessly clean.

We didn’t use the spa but did use the gym, which was well equipped.

The hotel is fantastic and is in a fabulous location, the star of the show though was the breakfast. The quality of the food was very good, best poached eggs I’ve had, but the service was incredible. We had a fantastic weekend and would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quality hotel in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view, they cost more, but it will be worth every penny.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Lee C,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. It is a pleasure to read your excellent review with regards to your recent stay at ‘The Caley’! I am delighted to hear your positive thoughts on the luxury five star service provided by our staff members throughout your stay. I will personally share your special mention with our breakfast team; I am extremely pleased you received excellent service. I hope on your next visit to ‘The Caley’ you will be able to experience our award winning Guerlain Spa!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Initially, after reading reviews about this hotel I was worried. I stayed with 3 friends and our experience was excellent. I'd emailed the night before about our early arrival, our rooms were ready at 1230 and adjacent. All staff were most polite and friendly. Rooms fab! Shower amazing.. Breakfast was excellent, catered for all needs. We loved it so much, booking for a return trip. Thank you

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear bexkymusic,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to read you had an excellent stay with us and we exceeded your expectations by preparing your rooms for your early arrival! I will personally share your positive comments regarding our friendly and attentive staff with the team. I am extremely pleased you are planning a second trip to Edinburgh!

We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ on your next trip!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great venue for the Castle etc but the very small rooms let it down. When we first arrive our room was baltic and the heating was not working but they moved us very quickly to a room with the views of generators and fire escapes. The staff were outstanding and for that alone I would give an extremely good review but for the price you pay for this hotel it is really nothing special. Way overpriced. I have however given it a four star because of location and the staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Cubaqueen,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us overall and found the hotel in a great location to visit the castle. I am extremely sorry you were not satisfied with your room allocation and found it slightly smaller than you would expect. Due to the age of the hotel many of our rooms are larger than you would expect for a city centre hotel, however many of our room types vary in size. I am extremely pleased you were impressed with the service and friendliness of the staff.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Pleasant, attentive staff we went just before Christmas so very busy with Xmas outings etc o bit hectic in restaurant but only to be expected i suppose Food was good.But small portions, Room was very spacious and very clean good standard of furniture and decor Very close to Waverley Station.All in all very good. Only gave an average rating for breakfast and spa as never got to try either

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Alex48,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted you very much enjoyed your pre Christmas visit to ‘The Caley’. I am pleased you found the hotel in a convenient location to the train station. I hope you have the opportunity of using our spa and breakfast facilities on your next visit to Edinburgh!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

A well-appointed hotel. Very large and comfortable rooms, great food, and extremely attentive and friendly staff. The location is right in the heart of things and the views are great. I was served possibly the best burger I've ever had, and that is saying a lot. To be thousands of miles from home on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, this was a great place to spend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tracy J
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Dear Tracy J,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to hear you very much enjoyed your Christmas celebrations at ‘The Caley’. I am pleased the staff provided attentive and friendly service during the festive period, and you experienced the best burger you have ever had!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I got the impression that this was once a great hotel and maybe had potential to be great again but that it is now past it's prime. I am aware that it had a recent overhaul but maybe it's not just about physical appearance. Staff were pleasant but uninterested, particularly in the restaurant and appeared to be simply going through the motions. The whole place lacks a certain "buzz" which is a pity as aesthetically it is a beautiful building. By contrast, we had lunch in the Brasserie in the Balmoral on Monday and which blew us away, such was the standard of food and the wonderfully warm and genuine service.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Brid392

Dear Brid392,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am sorry to hear you were not impressed with the recent refurbishment or the service provided. Many of our guests comment on our staff members providing friendly and attentive luxury service, so I am surprised to hear the staff members in the restaurant seemed uninterested. I will share your comments with our restaurant manager.

I hope we are able to welcome you back to 'The Caley' in the near future.

Regards,