Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
$111
$101
Agoda.com
4,074 results
All reviewspeacock alleycaley bargalvin brasserieguerlain spacastle viewbeautiful hotelend of princes streetfive star hotelturn down servicenespresso machinean upgradebirthday treatbeautiful roomhaggisroyal mileconciergedoorman
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Just had a really nice stay once again at the Caledonian, this is a first class hotel.

We had a suite on the second floor which was huge, comfortable with lovely fittings and furnishings, the room was spotless the bathroom was huge and the bathrobes are just 'the best' didn't want to go for night out could easily have stayed in room.

The public areas are stunning with Peacock Alley being top of the list. The service from all staff is excellent and could find no fault with anyone who works here, the bar staff s very attentive and always remember your drink.

Found a vast improvement at breakfast from the last time we stayed.

Well done to all concerned at hotel, we had a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear Drebir,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am thrilled to hear you very much enjoyed another stay with us! Thank you for your comments about the bathrobes being “the best”, they are certainly luxurious and comfortable. I will personally share your feedback with regards to Peacock Alley and the excellent service delivered by the staff members.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

From the moment you arrive, knowing that this was a special trip for us, the staff set out to ensure that our stay was a memorable one. The service was gracious, attentive, friendly and very polite..... you can't help but to enjoy yourself. The hotel itself oozes with old world romance, a converted railway hotel, tastefully decorated, with elegant sweeping staircases and beautifully appointed rooms with views of Edinburgh Castle. Salvatore Ferragamo bath products and the best bathrobes going around make bathtime especially enjoyable. We had dinner at The Pompidour, by Galvin - such balanced delicate flavours with possible the best dauphinoise potatoes ever. The table service impeccable and seamless with the wait staff well informed of the menu and confident in their recommendations. The sommelier, in particular, had excellent wine matches for our meal and offered some interesting wines that we had never tried before which made the experience unique. All in all, an outstanding hotel.

Room Tip: Pay a little more an get the upgrade to the rooms with the view of Edinburgh Castle.

Dear LP1712,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. It is a pleasure to share your excellent feedback with the team, in particular your outstanding comments regarding your Pompadour dining experience and well appointed bedrooms. I am extremely pleased you enjoyed the hotels interesting history, character and the magnificent views of Edinburgh Castle.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We had the good luck to get a night at this hotel by sheer chance. A friend of my inlaws had a relation book the room and then they couldn't travel Due to cancellation policies they could not rearrange or get a refund which is pretty poor but a bonus for us. We were asked on the Saturday evening if we would like to stay....it took us half a second to say yes!

Slightly nervous travelling across in case there was a problem and I had phoned to check about parking which I was advised there was. We couldn't get into the car park and I had to drive back round the block and run in to the reception. They were really apologetic and opened up the security arm so we could get in. When we walked back in to check in again they apologised. No big deal we thought, these things happen.

We checked about the room and confirmed it was booked and paid for so we felt we could relax. The check in staff were lovely, helpful and pleasant. They explained where our room was and where went for dinner/breakfast.

The room was on the second floor and looked into the middle of the building. It wasn't a huge room but perfectly decorated with everything you needed. No water in the room unless you wanted to pay £2.60 which I was surprised at having stayed at similar quality hotels previously but maybe paying the price you do people don't feel this is too much.

No bath in the bathroom but an amazing shower and again not a large room but perfect. Towels were an excellent quality and a lovely bathrobe and slippers provided.

We decided not to have dinner at the hotel but came back for drinks after we had eaten. We sat in the Caley Bar and the atmosphere was very relaxed and with attentive staff I just curled up on the big comfy chair and chilled. Also, for hotel prices we felt they were reasonable, £4.10 for a pint on West 4 larger which came in a really nice glass and a gin and tonic was about £4 and really nicely presented. You pay pretty similar for other bars in Edinburgh.

The bed felt really hard when we sat on it and the pillows were only one per bed with a spare. I struggle to get comfy but once I got under the duvet I just sunk into the bed and the one pillow was great. I have neck problems and constantly wake in the night uncomfy but didn't stir once, I woke up this morning feeling really refreshed, if I could have taken that bed home with me I would have!

Great shower in the morning and lovely complimentary soaps etc.

We decided to splash out on breakfast although we would be home in 20 minutes. Its all part of the experience.

Staff were lovely when we went down and showed us where everything was and asked about tea, coffee, toast and fruit juice. We were given a really nice pot of filter coffee which I loved as I like my coffee and always feel disappointed with just a cup.

The breakfast was all buffet style and there was lots of choice and all really fresh, good quality ingredients and no fat at all (a pet hate for buffets). My husband had finished his orange juice when we went up for our food but when we came back they had topped his glass up.

Like I said, attentive staff but not in your way, they genuinely want you to have a nice experience.

There is a spa on sight and had we had more time and put some planning in I would have taken use of this, the treatments sound amazing. Some are expensive and would be for a special occasion and others were more reasonable for a little self indulgence.

Check out was easy and our only disappointment was paying £19.50 for parking, I'd not been advised of a charge and felt this was a bit steep, had I paid for the room myself I would probably had said something about this.

This isn't the sort of hotel I stay in on my personal time but the sort of place I aspire to stay in. It was a last minute opportunity and I'm so glad I said yes. The staff were amazing, the room lovely and I'm now going to save my pennies and next time its the Waldorf in New York!

Thanks for giving us a great pre xmas treat, we needed the pick me up after a tough year.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear Alison_1974,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted you had the opportunity to stay with us and you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves. I am pleased you found the room and in- room amenities well equipped and the bathrobes very comfortable. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our Caley Bar and breakfast service, I will share your comments with our Food and Beverage manager who is always appreciative of our guest’s feedback. I hope you have the opportunity of relaxing in our Guerlain Spa on your next visit. With regards to your feedback concerning car park charges, due to the city centre location, many of the luxury hotels in Edinburgh charge for car parking per night; however I will share your thoughts directly with our General Manager.

Chris Logan

Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed whilst on business all week and my wife joined me for leisure

Concierge valet parking - as good value as parking yourself and ultra efficient every day: do pay for this pleasurable convenience.

As Hilton diamond member I got auto upgrade to a castle view forth floor room (426) which was an utter delight.

Room was very well appointed with insignias on Egyptian cotton linen, Ferragamo toiletries and beautiful furnishings, nice iPod Dock/ alarm clock (which had great acoustic with high ceilings). Robes were nicest I've ever experienced in a hotel. Nespresso machine was amply restocked twice daily!

Concierge was great, I initial check was excellent (accommodating a late check out for my wife on Friday), turn down service classy (turning radio into classic fm with Xmas carols was lovely), room service food was efficient with good quality and reasonably priced. Only slight minus was the rather miserable front desk clerk who checked me out - no smiles or pleasantries at all which was inconsistent with the shear class of her colleagues!

Room was silent apart from some reverberations from the road traffic far below however we accepted that in lieu of the beautiful original windows to preserve the pure splendour of the listed building.

One reviewer said it was just like a travel lodge - it couldn't be further away from that chain; in fact it's not just in a different league but a different planet.

Thank you for a wonderful memorable stay. We will return

• Stayed: December 2013
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Dear John T,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Thank you for your excellent review, I am pleased you were able to enjoy the hotels facilities whilst on business and leisure trip. I am glad as a valued HHonors Diamond member; you were able to appreciate the magnificent castle view from your bedroom. I am delighted the team members were very friendly and attentive, particularly the concierge team. I am pleased your stay at ‘The Caley’ was memorable and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

My wife and stayed in this hotel for one night and found the quality of the rooms outstanding, everything being to this brands extremely high standard.

After being advised we could eat in the restaurant on return from the theatre we were on return informed the restaurant was closed but could get a bar meal, we were then advised on ordering food that the chef had gone home!!

On approaching the front desk about this matter we were told we could have room service from a limited menu. Asking would it be possible to have this in the bar we were informed no it had to be in the room! On complaing about this we were offered a drink whilst the situation was resolved, on ordering a glass of Merlot we were asked to select another as there was no Merlot!

Eventually the lounge bar manager did manage to get a toasty for us and sent wine and chocolate’s to the room as compensation for the confusion. Yes it was a bottle of Merlot in the room!!!

This hotel is excellent...the staff obliging but do have conflicting instuctions from one department to another.

Not a stay that one could say was memorable for the right reasons.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Marcus V

Dear Marcus V,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to hear the quality of the room and in room amenities exceeded your expectations. I am extremely disappointed to learn of the inconvenience and confusion caused concerning dinner in our outlets upon your return from the theatre. Please rest assured this has been shared with our management team to ensure similar incidents do not occur in the future, as I agree communication is a vital part to ensure a smooth operation between departments.

We hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.