“Wonderful pre Christmas grandeur - world class service”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #52 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Wonderful pre Christmas grandeur - world class service”
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed whilst on business all week and my wife joined me for leisure

Concierge valet parking - as good value as parking yourself and ultra efficient every day: do pay for this pleasurable convenience.

As Hilton diamond member I got auto upgrade to a castle view forth floor room (426) which was an utter delight.

Room was very well appointed with insignias on Egyptian cotton linen, Ferragamo toiletries and beautiful furnishings, nice iPod Dock/ alarm clock (which had great acoustic with high ceilings). Robes were nicest I've ever experienced in a hotel. Nespresso machine was amply restocked twice daily!

Concierge was great, I initial check was excellent (accommodating a late check out for my wife on Friday), turn down service classy (turning radio into classic fm with Xmas carols was lovely), room service food was efficient with good quality and reasonably priced. Only slight minus was the rather miserable front desk clerk who checked me out - no smiles or pleasantries at all which was inconsistent with the shear class of her colleagues!

Room was silent apart from some reverberations from the road traffic far below however we accepted that in lieu of the beautiful original windows to preserve the pure splendour of the listed building.

One reviewer said it was just like a travel lodge - it couldn't be further away from that chain; in fact it's not just in a different league but a different planet.

Thank you for a wonderful memorable stay. We will return

• Stayed December 2013
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear John T,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Thank you for your excellent review, I am pleased you were able to enjoy the hotels facilities whilst on business and leisure trip. I am glad as a valued HHonors Diamond member; you were able to appreciate the magnificent castle view from your bedroom. I am delighted the team members were very friendly and attentive, particularly the concierge team. I am pleased your stay at ‘The Caley’ was memorable and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dale MacPhee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Church Fenton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2013

My wife and stayed in this hotel for one night and found the quality of the rooms outstanding, everything being to this brands extremely high standard.

After being advised we could eat in the restaurant on return from the theatre we were on return informed the restaurant was closed but could get a bar meal, we were then advised on ordering food that the chef had gone home!!

On approaching the front desk about this matter we were told we could have room service from a limited menu. Asking would it be possible to have this in the bar we were informed no it had to be in the room! On complaing about this we were offered a drink whilst the situation was resolved, on ordering a glass of Merlot we were asked to select another as there was no Merlot!

Eventually the lounge bar manager did manage to get a toasty for us and sent wine and chocolate’s to the room as compensation for the confusion. Yes it was a bottle of Merlot in the room!!!

This hotel is excellent...the staff obliging but do have conflicting instuctions from one department to another.

Not a stay that one could say was memorable for the right reasons.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Marcus V
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Marcus V,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to hear the quality of the room and in room amenities exceeded your expectations. I am extremely disappointed to learn of the inconvenience and confusion caused concerning dinner in our outlets upon your return from the theatre. Please rest assured this has been shared with our management team to ensure similar incidents do not occur in the future, as I agree communication is a vital part to ensure a smooth operation between departments.

We hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013

The ambience of this Hotel is second to none. Excellent position at the end of Princes Street for all major shops. Taxis outside front door. Extremely friendly staff. We had a room with a view (Castle), which is rare in any city centre hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Joy702,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. It is my pleasure to share your excellent feedback and kind comments with the team. I am delighted you found the staff extremely friendly and you enjoyed the magnificent view of the castle from your bedroom.

We hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Lovely hotel, exceptional staff - very friendly and cheerful, go out of their way to offer great service. We stayed in a double double deluxe room with castle view and it was great, very spacious. Lighting could have been better but I have found this to be an issue in nearly ever other hotel I have stayed in! Breakfast is fab, delicious home made jams and marmalade and attentive waiting staff. Peacock alley is beautiful and I can recommend the Edinburgh Rose cocktail !

Room Tip: Choose a room with castle view, we were on the 2nd floor castle side and room was big.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Kelly800,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. It is a pleasure to read your excellent feedback with regards to your Christmas break with us. I will be delighted to share your comments with the team regarding our staff member’s professional and friendly service throughout your stay and also your thoughts on our fantastic breakfast service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Southport
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at this hotel for two nights over the weekend we were very impressed. The staff were polite, the rooms clean and beds very comfy. The only gripe we had was the loud fan outside our room e86 which went off every 25 minutes for 5 minutes. On the first night we thought it was the room above/next door going to the bathroom a lot during the night. However on inspection today it appeared that we were situated next to a massive industrial extractor fan. Avoid that room and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Southportshell,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted you were very impressed with the hotel during your stay; I am pleased the staff members were very attentive and you found the bedroom well equipped. Thank you for sharing your comments regarding the extractor fan; I have personally informed our facilities manager who was able to rectify the issue to eliminate any noise and disturbance in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I'm a Hilton Gold member and used my points for a weekend here in December. The hotel is beautifully decorated, and in a fantastic location just at the end of Princes Street.

We were located in a standard Queen room on the 5th floor. The room was lovely if not a little compact. The bed was very comfortable and we loved the Nespresso coffee machine. The only down sides to the room were that it was rather cold, and there was no bath in the very nice bathroom (even though there was room for one). Under floor heating in the bathroom would have been a nice touch, because it was really, really cold in there. These are the sort of thing you would expect of a hotel of this standard.

The pool and spa facilities in the hotel are very pleasant, and we really liked Peacock Alley for afternoon tea, when we were exceptionally well looked after.

My only complaint about the Spa and catering outlets of the hotel is that there were not enough of the wonderful hotel's staff to adequately cover these areas. When we visited the hotel spa late on Sunday morning there was water all over the floor, no fresh dry towels, damp towels everywhere, no fresh water bottles (just empty ones littering the place), and no soap in the shower dispensers. This was such a shame. When we reported it to the member of staff on reception at the spa she seemed rather disinterested in resolving this for other visitors.

The same goes of the catering facilities of the hotel. The staff that were working there were lovely, but flat-out to manage the volume of people they were serving. At breakfast we rather felt that the team was struggling to keep on top of things, the food was luke-warm at best, and it was impossible to request special items because the wait-staff were just too busy. On Sunday morning we sat in Peacock Alley for 30 minutes waiting for service before we gave up and went to find someone to request a pot of tea. Again, this sort of thing should not happen in a hotel of this standard.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the Caledonian. The hotel is very pleasant and in a fantastic location. The staff that work there are very friendly and helpful, and working extremely hard, there just needs to be a few more of them in order to achieve the level of service that one would expect of this sort of hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Fadryn,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to hear you found the hotel beautifully decorated and the room comfortable. I am glad to hear you also found the bedroom well equipped especially with the Nespresso coffee machine. I will personally share your comments regarding under floor heating and the lack of a bath with our general manager, who always values our guest’s feedback. I am extremely pleased you very much enjoyed your afternoon tea in Peacock Alley and the waiters delivered the five star professional service we pride ourselves on, as A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Please rest assured I have provided direct feedback regarding your comments on our breakfast service and Spa facilities with both our Spa Director, and Food and Beverage Manager. They take our guests comments very seriously and will review your feedback with the team to monitor and improve the level of service we provide.

We hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Excellent hotel, nice setting, great location however when travelling on a friday evening to go out for dinner you do not expect to have a cold shower, big let down for us. Reported this twice and was given a work around, this again fell below my expectation, and the work around didnt actually work. Sunday morning, had a reasonably warm shower, I expect to turn the heat down in the shower, not wait 15 mins for a cold one!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Simon K,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am disappointed to hear your stay fell below your expectations regarding a hot water issue. I understand that you have already been personally contacted by my colleague, however should you wish to discuss your stay further please contact me directly. My email address is chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com

Chris Logan