“Supremely warm people”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #54 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Very nice staff make this a supreme choice. I highly recommend paying for a view of Edinburgh Castle, especially from the higher floors (floor 5, for example). Simply breathtaking. We were in a recently refreshed room which was not huge (but fine with two easy chairs and a large king bed). We had a huge white/grey marble bathroom that could not have been nicer. The beds are firm and luxurious with crisp white linens and big fluffy pillows. It was a big bonus to have a Nespresso Citiz machine in our room. We were provided cushy slippers and very nice bathrobes. The Salvatore Ferragamo bathroom amenities were also wonderful. Restaurant options were fantastic and the Brasserie is a strong favorite. Note: we had an issue that was resolved quickly and expertly. The hotel clearly wanted us to be happy and that is increasingly rare today. 5 stars to Andres for his charm and grace under pressure.

Room Tip: High floor, facing the castle, but rooms are smaller up there there. Ask for what you want. I thin...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Digimom,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant experience with us, and you have mentioned several reasons for us being a 'supreme' hotel which is pleasing. The beds are indeed extremely comfortable, as are the soft bathrobes and slippers. The luxurious Salvatore Ferragamo amenities and Nespresso coffee machines available in our rooms also seem to have been a hit, and I shall certainly pass on your kind remarks to the relevant team members who looked after you throughout the duration of your stay. Moreover, I am sure that we will see you back at the 'Caley' again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel had nice well decorated rooms in a great location, and polite, helpful staff, but I have to say that the many ways they were trying to leech money out of you (although not as bad as some hotels) was a bit frustrating, especially when you had to go down to the lobby to get free wifi and that was only for an hour, meaning if you're trying to get work done you have to steal a restaurant's wifi or pay a ton of money. This would not be so much of a problem except the room was fairly pricey anyway and so the wifi was a bit of a rip-off. I would not complain so much except this is a city five star hotel in a prime business centre. Otherwise it was all good, so not to many complaints. A few free things in the room. A lovely grand piano on one of the floors.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear KarenK7953,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Although generally satisfied with your overall accommodation, I appreciate your feedback with regards to the Wi-Fi service throughout the hotel. As you have mentioned, we do indeed provide complimentary Wi-Fi throughout our public areas, which for security purposes last for one hour periods when you can the log-in again. I would however like to ensure you that this is an area we are looking into for the future, and I do hope that you will choose to return to the 'Caley' again on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

our 1 night stay was booked for a special birthday treat and it certainly lived up to expectations. Staff were attentive, location is fantastic and room was very luxurious with an amazing view from the bathroom. Breakfast was superb and the bed linen was exquisite - with bathrobes! We got a discount for being in the military too which was a bonus.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear HR-7,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your well deserved break with us. I agree that the location is perfect, and I appreciate your remarks on the staff who assisted in making your birthday celebration such a special occasion.

Furthermore, we look forward to welcoming back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The location is perfect. Spend the money to get a room with a view of the castle. Gorgeous. We have stayed here several times. The medieval streets down Princes Street are a delight, as is a visit to the castle just up the hill. Try some real Scotch while here.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a view of the castle.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Wdcraven78,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am extremely thankful of your overwhelming comments, to be called the 'Best hotel in Scotland', I cannot say more than that!

We look forward to welcoming back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had a pleasant 3 night stay for a conference. Brasserie meal good. Spa nice. Excellent service from staff without exception. However ........ The delux King room was far too small - maybe less than half the size one would expect from an hotel of this standard . I suspect this was because the booking was made through an on-line site at considerable discount some time in advance. Beware of this.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear TheRigby,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent 3 day stay with us. I appreciate your feedback on the size of room which was allocated for the duration of your stay. However, I must advise that you due to the age and shape of the building, the majority of our rooms are of different sizes adding to the unique and historic feel of the hotel. On the other hand, I am delighted to read your praise of the facilities used, including our wonderful Guerlain Spa and Galvin Brasserie De Luxe, and I shall certainly share your comments with the team.

Furthermore, I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed here with my Wife for my Birthday for 2 nights at the beginning of July. The hotel is very impressive and the staff were very attentive from the minute you walk in the door. Nothing is too much trouble here which is what you would expect from a hotel of this caliber. The rooms were very comfortable and provided everything you could wish for and also a large bathroom. We had a lovely view of the castle which I would recommend when booking. Breakfast was excellent with a good selection of everything. The hotel is ideally placed for all of Edinburgh's amenities. I would recommend this hotel for a special treat.

Room Tip: Castle View

Dear Alistair B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you chose the chose the 'Caley' as your preferred choice of residence to celebrate your Birthday. Moreover, by all accounts it would appear that you have departed feeling more than satisfied with the overall facilities, both within the hotel, as well as the city.

I do hope that you and your wife will be able to return again in the near future.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

On a five-city, three-country European vacation, Edinburgh was by far our favorite spot and The Caledonian our favorite hotel. In fact it was one of my favorite hotels of all time, anywhere. It is beautiful and historic. The staff is attentive and friendly, the bartenders are great fun (and a wealth of information), the workout facilities are excellent (especially by European standards), and the location is great. We could not have asked for more and we would definitely go back. In fact, we had such a great time in Scotland that we plan to go back. I did not rate the value because we used points for our stay, and I did not rate the kids activities because we were traveling with only adult family members. The only reason I did not rate the spa all the way at the top was because the (very nice) steam room was co-ed and in a common area rather than in the men's locker room.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a bad room in the place, but we had a high floor on the end of a hall and it had h...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Chicago_Mr_B_645,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I cannot thank you enough for your glowing remarks, and I am delighted to hear that you rate Edinburgh as your favourite city from your trip. Moreover, as you have mentioned, the location of the hotel is a huge advantage for the hotel, and I do hope that you and your family will be able to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.