“It just gets better and better”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #53 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I recently went back to the 'Caley' for a weekend, having not stayed there for about five years. Previously I was a regular, staying in Edinburgh on business most weeks.

The refurbishment of the public rooms has given the hotel a real wow factor. Peacock Alley, in what was the restaurant and part of the outside space is inspired - a lovely place for afternoon tea or a drink. The bedrooms are nicely done, but what makes it very special are the staff. Very helpful and friendly and the guys on the Concierge desk are the real stars. Not only did they remember me aft all this time, but they are still highly knowledgable about the city - great restaurant recommendations and incredibly helpful. Great work guys.

Room Tip: All rooms are individual, a castle view is delightful, but is adjacent to the busy Lothian Rd, so yo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you chose the 'Caley' on your return to Edinburgh, and I appreciate your praise for the treatment which you received throughout the duration of your time with us.

Furthermore, I am also happy that you are in approval of our refurbishment with has been carried out since your last stay, and I am sure that you won't wait so long until your next trip to Edinburgh!

There are newer reviews for Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed here with a friend to celebrate my 40th birthday. We were upgraded from a classic to a superior room immediately upon arrival. The room was large, nicely decorated and a lovely big bathroom, with huge shower enclosure. We had a few drinks in the Peacock lounge, what a stunning place!!! Drinks are a bit expensive, but you get what u pay for. Staff throughout were friendly and helpful, even if you didn't require their assistance. Breakfast was amazing! Lovely selection of foods, something for everyone! We were able to leave our luggage with the concierge for a few hours after checking out, so we could spend more time in Edinburgh, no problems at all. A very nice hotel that I would return to without hesitation.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are a little noisier due to some kind of fan, but not enough to cause...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you celebrate your 40th Birthday with us, and I am delighted to hear that we were able to assist in making it such a special occasion!

Moreover, I appreciate your kind remarks on the team members who looked after you throughout, and hopefully you will be able to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I cannot say enough about this hotel! The location is perfect, and the service they provide is second to none. The staff is exceptional and there is not one person there who will not go above and beyond to make your stay incredible. The Galvin Brasserie de Luxe restaurant is definitely a must while staying here! A perfect 10!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Such wonderful praise is certainly always a pleasure to hear, and to be labelled with 'a perfect 10', does not get any better!

I am pleased that your experience in our Galvin Brasserie De Luxe was a success, and I appreciate your recommendation. I shall also pass on your feedback to our staff throughout the hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here for the weekend whilst on business, the hotel itself is great with staff being very friendly and helpful. Only noise issue I had from the hotel was the continuous noise of bottles being dumped into bins, this must of been for recyclying but didn't expect to here it on the 5th floor. Location within the city centre is ideal for those wanting to explore the city and shop. The main thing that lets this hotel down is the breakfast, with such an upmarket hotel so into promoting its lovely restaurants I expected a beautiful breakfast cooked to order. Imagine lovely eggs benedict, french toast with crispy bacon or home made muesli for the £20 cost of breakfast. Sadly not, instead it was cereal from mini Kelloggs packets like a child and a very average buffet. Instead of breakfast at the hotel I can certainly recommend popping into Urban Angel on Hanover Street where I went with a friend for an amazing home cooked breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Although it appears that you have departed feeling generally satisfied, I am disappointed to read the negative issues mentioned. With regards to the noise of the bottles being emptied, I apologise for the disturbance, and I will reiterate to the relevant departments of our procedures, including the time frame when this duty is carried out. I would also like to ensure you that I have shared your feedback on the breakfast quality to our Food & Beverage Manager, as our signature breakfast is certainly a priority service throughout our property.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback, and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with my wife whilst attending a conference. This was my third stay at the hotel and as experienced previously the attention to detail and the friendliness and helpfulness of staff was first class.
Only quibble is that I was unaware that my room this year did not have a bath in advance.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here at the weekend as we were visiting friends in Edinburgh. The hotel location is very good, right in the centre just at the end of Princes Street Gardens and just underneath the castle. It's an easy 25 minute bus ride from the airport and you get dropped pretty much outside which is always useful.

The room was a good size (we were upgraded from standard to deluxe) and the bed was firm and comfortable. The noise from outside the room isn't that well blocked out as there is a gap at the bottom of the room door so we heard all the antisocial guests who decided that it was fine to walk along the corridor talking to each other at the top of their voices, both late at night and early in the morning - it really doesn't take much to consider someone other than just yourself once in a while people!!

Having stayed in other Waldorf properties (NYC and London), this is not on the same level, but it is a very nice hotel none the less and I'm sure we will return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TWH_UK
Reviewed June 24, 2013

What a lovely hotel. Situated at the end of Princes Street under the watchful eye of the Castle, this hotel brought all the charm and history of Edinburgh to life!

The rooms were large, pleasant, and well decorated. Although we had a queen bed, it was very comfortable. There was a bar on the West side of the hotel which could be a bit loud but nothing too distracting.

David at Reception was always very polite, knowledgeable and eager to help. Donald McLean, the Doorman, brought the true feeling of Scotland to guests. He was inviting, friendly and helpful as part of his job, but also enjoyed sharing local history and tales of times gone by. He even directed us to the Church (St. Cuthbert’s) to find traces of our heritage.

The restaurant is ok for breakfast but we wanted non-hotel food for other meals. Thus, we suggest Bar Italia Ristorante just up Lothian street or Ryans just across Princes Street.

The hotel is conveniently located for anything you want to do in Edinburgh, yet off the major tourist path, and the staff are very efficient and pleasant. Enjoy your stay at the Caledonian, we did!

Room Tip: There's a bar on the West side and a major street (Lothian) on the East. In front is a cross-ov...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple