“Beautiful hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
York, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Only stayed one night but reception were polite and helpful. The room was spacious and lovely. We used the spa which was a great addition! Peacock alley was gorgeous and they have reserved the old train station amazingly. Breakfast was also very tasty!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. You have certainly departed feeling more than satisfied with your overall experience, and I am delighted that you were able to make use of our facilities, including the wonderful Peacock Alley area!

I have no doubt that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Chris Logan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed here in April 2013, and was blown away by the property after its recent refurbuishment.
Everything was perfect from the service,the staff to the food.

We couldnt of asked for a better 3 night stay and will be returning the next time we go to edinburgh.
This hotel is on par with the Dorchester and other 5 star london properties.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am extremely pleased to read of your comparison with the Dorchester, and I appreciate your kind remarks. As a Waldorf Astoria Hotel, our aim is certainly to provide a unique luxury experience, and by all accounts we do indeed endeavour to provide such a high standard of service for our guests. Moreover, on this occasion, we have obviously exceeded your expectations, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' on your return.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Extremely high quality service. From the concierge to the front desk to the bar to the breakfast restaurant and even room service they are experts at making you feel welcome and at home.
The rooms are everything you'd expect and the location is just what you need.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am very appreciative of your positive remarks, including your compliments on the various departments used throughout the duration of your stay.

Moreover, we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Cost of the room was very high, and the room was nice. I am sick of being charged for in-room internet at high priced hotels when much less expensive hotels provide it for free. Also charged for an electrical converter, which at such a high-end hotel should have been provided. Felt like I was being nickel-and-dimed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank John H
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I checked in the hotel on the 31st of March, 2013 and put up there for two subsequent nights.

There was a problem initially as the lady at the reception wasn't able to find a booking for my third room but that was sorted after I made a call to my travel agent in India. The only problem that I encountered here was the check in. I got two of my three rooms after waiting for about three hours and the third room was given to me after a further delay of two hours. Also, I guess there was a problem with the water mixer of my bathroom as the running water that came from the shower was either piping hot or extremely cold. This problem persisted but the wonderful team at this hotel made sure to attend to my problems swiftly, which somewhat neutralized this problem for me!

Now, with the little shortcomings part done, let me proceed to the positives of this AWEsome place.

First and foremost, the staff. Oh I just loved them all! Extremely polite, helpful, hospitable squire with a smile at all times! Wow! A special mention to Chris, he will be replying to my post shortly now, who showed me around the hotel briefly and was very nice to talk to and of course Neil at the very entrance of the hotel was a real amazing fellow, full of life! Chris, please tell him that I still treasure that little duckling that he'd given me! :D

The location of the hotel too was a boon, located right on Princes Street and close to all the major shopping avenues and a point of the city tour too. There was a church as well very near to the hotel where I took part in the Easter services! It was enthralling and I just loved this first experience of mine!

The pool, the jacuzzi, the steam room and the sauna room were all very good and well maintained.

I was very happy with the rooms provided to me as well.

And how on earth can I miss out on the breakfast! The sumptuous food served here was mouth watering with equally good beverages and the great serving staff was just the icing on the cake here too!

Out and out, I simply loved this Waldorf Astoria property and it lived up to its reputation without doubt!

Please give me your contact details Chris so that I get my rooms booked directly through you the next time I visit Edinburgh to continue my love affair with this charming city! ;)

God bless! :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Bhageria,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us in March! What a delight to hear such words from you, and it were certainly a pleasure to meet you and your family, and it was a pleasure looking after you! Although there was an initial problem with your room on your arrival, I appreciate your understanding of the situation, and by the sounds of it, you had a wonderful experience throughout your time in Edinburgh.

I am happy to assure you that I have shared your feedback with Neil, who has asked me to pass on his regards, and he is happy to hear that you still managed to keep a hold of the duckling, despite your tiresome travels!

Moreover, we cannot wait to see you return to the 'Caley', and when you decide the time is right, please contact me via chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com, and I shall ensure that your booking is taken care off!

San Francisco, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

The location of the hotel is perfect: it is near the castle and walking distance to all of the attractions Edinburgh has to offer. We only spent two nights here, but wish we had stayed more! The hotel staff was very helpful and breakfast was superior to most hotels that offer a breakfast package.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate your wonderful feedback, as I do all comments. You have obviously departed feeling more that satisfied, and hopefully you will be returning to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Personally this is one of the best hotels I’ve ever stayed. It is located in the center of the city, and if you are lucky the room has a view of the Edinburgh castle high on the hill as well as churches and other charming old buildings in the city.

I stayed in a twin deluxe room. It is a good size with beautiful décor; It has an entrance area and a closet room, each with a door to separate from the main room. A large size bathroom has a separate shower and a bathtub. In somewhat gloomy weather in this area, a towel warmer in the bathroom is a smart touch that keeps bath towels nice and warm, and plush velvety bathrobes - I felt heavenly in it after a long flight from the west coast in the US. The toiletry is Salvatore Ferragamo's, which has a very subtle scent, good for both men and women. Other nice amenities include a Nespresso coffee machine in the room. The room cleaning service comes twice a day as most high-end hotels customary do, and during my 6 days stay the room was kept nice and clean. My only pet peeve was that there was no electric outlet (or at least I could not find) in the bathroom, except for a shaver, and the hair dryer was hidden in a drawer of the writing desk as if were suggested to be used in the main room. The room also has a very quiet manual temperature control system.

The concierge service was excellent with knowledgeable staff members, who wear a uniform made of traditional tartan material. Thomas, with whom I talked almost every day during my stay, apparently represents a Scottish gentleman - calm, but very warm and kind, and he assisted me with every question I had. He helped me on restaurant recommendations/reservations, gave me suggestions on efficient ways of sight seeing, showed me a map and told me some stories and history of the city upon my request, and also prepared and packed a box for international shipment. Thank you, Thomas, you made my trip in Edinburgh far more impressive and memorable than I had expected.

I truly enjoyed, felt pampered, and satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Venusian2000
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Daer guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am extremely grateful for your informative observations, and I am delighted to hear that you have departed Edinburgh, and the 'Caley' feeling overwhelmed by your overall experience. You have mentioned many luxury products that we have on offer, including the Nespresso coffee machines in our bedrooms, and the Salvatore Ferregamo toiletries which we provide to each guest. These items, as well as the wonderful team members mentioned certainly played a part in your memorable stay, and I shall pass on your feedback to the all!

Moreover, I do hope that the next time you are visiting the capital, you choose the 'Caley' as your preferred destination.