“Great Hotel - hard to fault.”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #55 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel - hard to fault.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stopped her in March 2013 and it is now the hotel that we rate all other hotels against in Scotland!! Located in the heart of Edinburgh you have easy access to all the attractions and local drinking establishments. Everything in the hotel was perfect - the room was a good size and beautifully decorated and well maintained. The room was spotlessly clean, not one speck of dust - I would imagine that the cleaner had OCD as when we came back to the room our toiletries had been organised on a towel in the bathroom into size order and all pointing forwards. Great big shower with oversized head for a good drenching. The spa is a good size for a city hotel, again it was spotless and it was great looking out over the castle whilst having a swim. We ate in the Galvin Brasserie which produced high quality food and is highly recommended. Without a doubt this is the hotel we will return to when next in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: All are good!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us in March. By all accounts, it appears that you had a wonderful time in Edinburgh, and I am delighted that the 'Caley' ticked all the boxes for your accommodation, from the location to the Guerlain Spa facilities! I must also give a special 'thanks' for your observations on the cleanliness throughout the hotel, as we do pride ourselves in our high standard of presentation, and I have shared your feedback with our Executive Housekeeper.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Chris Logan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Lisboa, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had a booking at Hilton Grosvenor Hotel but when we arrived there we were informed that they were overbooked for that night. They managed to find us a room at The Caledonian which was very good because both the location and the hotel are much better.
The staff are very nice and friendly. Daniel was very helpful and is always great to find someone who speaks Portuguese!
However, considering all the amenities offered by the hotel, I think they should definitely consider offering complimentary Wi-Fi on all guest rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and I agree that the location of the hotel is extremely favourable.

I must also advise that we are taking into consideration, your comments with regards to offering complimentary Wi-Fi in our bedrooms, although we do have this facility in all public areas within the hotel. Furthermore, I do hope that the 'Caley' is your preferred choice for any future visits to Edinburgh.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Peacock Alley was beautiful and is a massive improvement on the old room used to serve afternoon tea. The food however was quite disappointing. The sandwiches were uninspiring and I had advised when I called that I do not eat red meat however no alternative was offered in place of the ham sandwich.
The cakes are the bit that I look forward to most in an Afternoon tea and we had gone for the special cakes. I previously had the normal cakes and have to say that I found them nicer than the 'special cakes'. The salted caramel eclair was particularly disappointing as the cream was full of sugar and the caramel did not taste particularly salted making the whole thing far too sweet.
The staff were very pleasant however the lady who served us was extremely forgetful and we had to constantly remind her of things we had asked for.
Overall, the beautiful setting does not make up for the mediocre food and slightly ditzy staff. The balmoral is still my firm favourite.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank SusanandAlan4
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent Afternoon Tea experience with us. I appreciate your constructive feedback, and although I am happy with your verdict with regards to the decor and design of our wonderful Peacock Alley area, it deeply disappoints me to read the negativity on the product. I must admit that I receive very few poor comments due to the quality of our Afternoon Tea, I can assure you that our Food & Beverage Manager, and Chef have been advised of your observations, and we shall certainly review our 'special cakes', as well as the standard of service which we provide.

Moreover, once again, I thank you for your feedback, and I do hope that this poor experience does not deter you from returning to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Hong Kong, Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Location of the hotel is perfect, not too far from the airport~about 20mins taxi ride and walking distance to the Edinburgh Castle. We spent 2 days at the hotel, nice walk from the hotel to the castle, Royal Mile. The only regret is the road work outside the hotel.....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable experience with us, and I am sure that the road works shall be completed should you be returning to the 'Caley' in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

i have kept meaning to write my review here to say how lovely it was. We stayed here over the Easter weekend and we had such a lovely time.
When we arrived our room was stunning, a beautiful suite almost with plenty of room for us and a little bed for our four year old. The only trouble was there was no bath and as we were staying for four days we felt we needed a bath. We were moved with absolutely no trouble at all and the next room was just as gorgeous although a little smaller. The rooms are well decorated, good quality and clean. My husband said it was one of the comfiest beds and pillows he has had a hotel!
The staff were excellent and nothing was too much trouble, the spa was great although the swimming pool is too small to service whole hotel but minor issue really.
We ate in the brasserie for dinner which was lovely and great service, the bars for snacks again nice and the breakfast was great with plenty of options.
Location wise we felt it was ideal we walked around all day sightseeing and nearby for buses out of town, and great for restaurants in the evening.
We would definitely stay here again, if they keep on top of the service, quality and cleanliness it would be a great hotel to stay for years to come.

Room Tip: If a bath is important you may want to check upon booking not all the King Size rooms have then
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us over the Easter period. I am, as always extremely thankful for your feedback, and delighted by the postive comments posted. I am also pleased that we were able to allocate a bedroom with a bath to enable you to relax, and I appreciate your kind remarks on the team members who looked after you and your family throughout the duration of your stay.

Moreover, we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed at The Caledonian for an overnight with my partner. We arrived earlier than the 3pm check in time. The concierge took our bags and offered to call us when our room was ready. Our room a Deluxe Queen Room was absolutely stunning, walking through a small hallway in to a large bright and airy room, attention to detail has been paid and the extra touches in the room such as a coffee machine make the difference. The room didn't have the best of views but the room it's self made up for it. We went for drinks in the Peacock Alley bar, staff were very friendly and the drinks were superb. We both had coffees with probably the best shortbread I have ever tasted. Breakfast was brilliant, with a wide variety of food. My only issue was the table we were seated at, was rather wonky and you couldn't lean on the table for fear of tipping it over. Overall the stay was brief but very enjoyable and I will be back there again.

• Stayed May 2013
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that we were able to assist in making your stay pleasurable for you and your partner. I am also happy to hear that you were able to make the most of the facilities included throughout the building, including our wonderful Peacock Alley.... I shall certainly share your feedback with regards to the taste of the shortbread to our pastry chef!

Moreover, we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

high price. no free wireless internet access and the daily charge for internet usage was outrageous. .needs updating. denied breakasts though they were included in the package we purchased. needs updated decor. has a tired look. restaurant prices were unreasonably high. would not stay here again. there are more reasonably priced modern options available.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family