“Grand old caley”

Ranked #56 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Grand old caley”
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

What a delightful place to stay wonderful staff very friendly and efficient from the valet parking,concierge,reception all excellent.the rooms are a delight,fluffy dressing gowns, nespresso and comfy bed. The breakfasts have a huge choice,
Fresh fruit breads yogurts the list goes on. We made full use of the gym,steam room sauna and pool all very clean.
Can't wait to go back

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stat with us. I appreciate your positive feedback, and delighted to see that you enjoyed the facilities, from the breakfast choice to the fluffy dressing gowns!

Moreover, I am also pleased by your observations on the cleanliness of the Spa facilities, I shall certainly share your comments with the relevant team members. We look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' in the future.

Chris Logan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
dublin
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Cannot say enough about this grand dame of hotels, the Caldy, as it is affectionately termed, did not disappoint. Situated at the back wall of the castle, churches, parks, train, Royal Mile were a short walk, and it was directly on Princes street..perfect location. Traveling with our 16 year old daughter in Europe is always a challenge for large bathrooms, bedding and room space, but no worries at the Caldy! Our lovely room down long sumptuous hallways had a wonderful king, separate twin, more closet space than we could have ever needed, in room fridge, safe, etc. incredible view in bath with separate toilet area , which even had a view of the Edinburgh castle! Room 226, a Delux King.
The spacious Peacock Alley lounge, had a huge drink menu, a great vibe and free Internet.The manager (James?) was full of interesting info, Niamh friendly and helpful. We spent each night after a long day in the comfy chairs and enjoying the exceptional service the Caldy offers. While location and rooms are important, I believe the standout at this hotel is the staff. Everyone was above and beyond any expectations we might have concieved...the concierge staff was top notch, Billy, Karl, Malcom, Salvadore....not stuffy, felt like good friends welcoming you back from your day, with all of your requests sorted.

Dining in the delightful Galvins restaurant on site was superb and convenient.. Galvins had been referred to us by a different restaurant!!! Talk about a good reputation! Beth the sommelier, knowledgable and so friendly. Food wonderful, and very social, the place was packed. I wish we had just one more night in Edinburgh to use the spa and pool facilities at the Caledonian, but I will not hesitate to book this hotel when I go back!!!

Room Tip: Room 226 a delux King had everything from a state of the art tea and coffee machine to an unobstruc...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. An excellent trip has been had by all accounts, and I am delighted to see from your review that we were able to play our part in making this such a successful journey for you and your family. I am also pleased to hear that our Galvin Restaurant has had some well deserved recommendations from another restaurant, and as mentioned, you were not disappointed!

Moreover, I shall certainly share your wonderful feedback with the relevant departments and team members mentioned, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 nights at this hotel over Easter and had a fab time. We had 2 rooms, one classic double and a deluxe x2 double room. Both were absolutely amazing. Really large rooms with large bathrooms and beautifully decorated. The service here was as we expected especially at breakfast and they were very attentive to my 7 year old daughter which was appreciated. Our party all have very fond memories of our break thanks to our stay here.

• Stayed April 2013
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am extremely happy to hear that you and your family had a wonderful time over the Easter period. I do hope that you appreciated the Easter decorations, and the Easter eggs!!!

Furthermore, we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Caledonian is lovely old building with lots of the character retained by the hotel. I'm not sure why other reviewers have said it is shabby; I didnt think it was at all. Yes the skirting boards are a little dented and the floors a little creaky but this is what you get from an old building.

As a HH Diamond member we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a beautiful room on the 3rd floor overlooking the castle. Our room's air conditioning worked perfectly (another complaint by previous guests); the bathroom was immaculate; and the extra touches really appreciated. We had fruit, water and chocolates in our room - we dont normally get this as HH members so I dont think we got them because we were HH members. The curtains were fantastically heavy and kept the drafts out from the window and kept the light out, so we slept really well.

There is no Executive Lounge as there are in most UK Hilton hotels but we were given vouchers for a free drink on our first night, and we had to buy our breakfast outside the hotel. We went across the road for our breakfast and we had very good food there for reasonable prices.

We ate in the hotel restaurant on our first night and had a lovely meal. The waiters were attentive and the food was very good.

The reception staff were polite and professional but I thought they lacked the natural friendliness of the Scots that we met on our trip.

All in all a nice hotel and we had a great trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the castle and as high as you can!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate your feedback on the 'lovely old building' that is the 'Caley', and I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall experience with us.

I am positive that you will return to Edinburgh in the future, and hopefully you will choose The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria as your preferred choice of accommodation.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My friend helped me with the review as my English is very basic. We spent 3 days in the hotel and were really impressed. Nice room, nice restaurant and food, nice staff. Especially big thanks to the girl who explained us all the menu in Russian as we don't know Scottish breakfast and don't speak English very good. Deffinetly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience in Edinburgh, and I will find out who the team member in the restaurant was that assisted with the menu, and thank her personally!

Hopefully you will have the opportunity to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

scotland
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We couldn't have picked a better hotel for its central location. This was a birthday celebration and we had asked on booking for the best room in the rate. It had a brilliant view of the castle and was huge. My sister was very happy. The rooms are very comfortable and have excellent facilities. You have to pay extra for breakfast but there was plenty of choice. We had a delicious afternoon tea in Peacock Alley. The swimming pool was very good. Although a clock poolside would be beneficial. There is many restaurants near the hotel. If you are considering a first trip to Edinburgh this would be an ideal hotel to stay. Staff are very helpful and will make your stay extra special.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am very happy to learn of your positive experience with us, and delighted to hear that we were able to assist in making your Birthday celebrations such a special occasion.

I appreciate your feedback with regards to a clock to be placed by the poolside, and I have shared your observations with our Spa Manager. We look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' in the near future.

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I wrote a review in June last year saying that the Caley had let us down because they failed to tell us about the extent of the refurbishment works and we had to move to a different hotel because I had recently been suffering from a serious illness. We had stayed there before and so looked forward to our return visit and were bitterly disappointed at that time. We were offered a complimentary two night stay in compensation which we took up last week - and we are so glad we did.

From the moment we arrived we were treated, if not like visiting royalty, then certainly as very valued and welcome friends with no hint that this was false or put on because of the previous difficulties.

We were given a beautiful suite with magnificent views of the Castle and much of the City. The suite was large enough to hold a small cocktail party if we had wanted. Tasteful, elegant and modern décor and very comfortable.

The ensuite facilities were impressive - large bath, walk in shower with room enough for two, his and hers sinks, sound system, lighted make up mirror, bright, airey and plenty of room for two to move around while getting ready for the day. Whether the designer did this by accident or because of a wry sense of humour I don't know - but the loo was under the window in line with King Arthur's Seat which could just be seen in the distance. It made me smile anyway!

The refurbishment of the hotel has brought it thoroughly up to date in all areas but has lost none of its class and elegance, although apart from the trews worn by the concierge team and some elegant thistle table decorations in Peacock Alley, it has lost its "Scottish" feel. Once through the doors you could be in any up market hotel in the world. However, we would not be tempted to use any other hotel in Edinburgh because the Caledonian has the very best staff of any hotel we have ever stayed in. In other reviews of other hotels around Britain I have suggested that staff would benefit from doing some training with the Caledonian - and I mean it.

We ate on both evenings in the Galvin Brasserie - which I will review in the restaurant section of TA. The food is absolutely first class. The staff are extremely knowledgeable about the menu and we had no hesitation in asking them to describe whatever we didn't understand (him indoors can speak and read some German, Russian and Swahili and I have a smattering of Italian and Nepalese - but hardly a word of French!). Fine dining in a very relaxed and informal atmosphere and staff who are happy to spend time having a chat. I wont go into a blow by blow account of every dish but I must, at least, recommend the Lasagne of Crab, which we were told is a fairly new addition to the menu. KEEP IT ON! Utterly and completely gorgeous, memorable and every cliché you can think of about good food. Sadly we were unable to sample the delights of the Pompadour restaurant (also a Galvin) but it is my excuse for making the other half take me back - if indeed I needed one. If it is as good as the Brasserie then it can only be a winner.

Peacock Alley is the main lounge with an amazing glass and light picture of a peacock tail on the whole of one wall. I can only think that those responsible for installing it must have had a very tense 10 days and I congratulate them on a stunning piece of work. Comfortable, elegant, great cocktails, amazing afternoon teas, and again very accommodating staff.

I am not going to name members of staff individually because the whole team there make the Caledonian a real pleasure. OK it isn't cheap - but it is worth every penny spent there. We cannot thank them enough for such a lovely weekend.
Now please see my review of the Royal York Hotel ( in York) who could learn a lot from the Caley

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you chose to return to the 'Caley' following your previous experience, which was below your expectations. Furthermore, I am extremely pleased to hear that the hotel refurbishment is to your satisfaction, and that the service was of a high standard. Dining in our Galvin Brasserie De Luxe also appears to have hit the right places, and I agree that overall, the improvements made to the facilities have been a huge success!

Moreover, I do hope that you will choose to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.