“Another GREAT stay - nothing to complain about!”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #50 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Northumberland, England, UK
“Another GREAT stay - nothing to complain about!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We enjoyed another stay at this lovely hotel having previously been in November.

We had a lovely room with a magnificent view of the castle which was very special for us! Many thanks to Jillian for sorting this out for us.

From the moment we arrived when we were welcomed back and the wonderful concierges took care of our luggage and parked our car for us (special thanks to Gary and Karl) to the moment we left, we were treated like very welcome friends!

We were looked after at breakfast by a really fabulous waiter called Stuart - he REALLY deserves a SPECIAL mention. He took such very good care of us - nothing but nothing was a problem for us and before we even asked for anything he had already read our needs and produced! I do hope the management realise what a gem he is!

We had afternoon tea in Peacock Alley. despite pre booking we did have to wait quite some time before any orders were taken - about 20 minutes; whilst some would find this annoying it wasn't the end of the world but might be something the management look at as I notice a few previous guests have mentioned this. The content of the afternoon tea was very good and I also enjoyed a plate of crab and smoked salmon which was Devine! I loved the champagne trolley too!

So all in all possibly an even better experience than the last time (something I didn't think possible) and I'm sure it won't be too long before we return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear your wonderful comments with regards to the excellent service received by our team members throughout the duration of your stay. Moreover, I shall certainly share your wonderful review with those involved.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Chris Logan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Very nice location and very good service. The Peacock alley is very impressive, on the other hand I do like the whole interior at this hotel.
Service was very nice but as a HH Gold member they do not offer free breakfast at this hotel. It is ambit of a shame but I guess you can't get everything. They did upgrade me during my stay to a very nice room. I do think for my next stay I would like to stay at a higher floor the 1st so I can get a good view.
This is now the hotel I will use during my stays in Edinburgh.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I agree that Peacock Alley is an impressive area within the hotel, and I appreciate your kind feedback with regards to the overall interior of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed on the 3rd and 4th of April with my husband and two daughters. We were in room 344 which was really spacious and well-appointed with a great sized bathroom. The beds were uncomfortable, but lovely pillows and duvets! We were facing on to Princes Street which was very noisy at night, I notice that other reviewers have mentioned the need for secondary glazing. I loved the bathrobes and would love to have one at home, so luxurious!
We had afternoon tea in Peacock Alley which we all loved, a really special treat. Expensive but worth doing for a special occasion. Breakfast on both mornings was fantastic with amazing service from the staff (Stuart on day 1 and David on day 2). It was truly a five star experience with really attentive service and coffee, hot chocolate, juices and toast brought to the table (Hilton Glasgow take note!).
We used the swimming pool which is very small, but was warm and the changing rooms and pool areas were clean.
The hotel is beautiful and the staff are wonderful. We had fantastic service from every member of staff we came in to contact with. They were all so friendly and polite and made a fuss of our girls which they loved.
The only problem is that my girls now expect 5* everywhere they go and are desperate for a return trip. We are due to return to Edinburgh in November and planned to stay in a Premier Inn - I don't think that will go down too well with my Waldorf girls!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am extremely pleased to hear that the whole family enjoyed their 'Waldorf' experience, and I am delighted that you had the opportunity to use all of our facilities. I shall certainly pass on your kind remarks to the relevant team members, including the breakfast team!

I am sure that your daughters will persuade you to return to the 'Caley' again on your return to Edinburgh!

Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed for the weekend at this very pleasant hotel, although very good did not seem 5* , we went for a snack on the afternoon and the place was quite empty however the service was extremely slow and we waited 45 mins for a snack, The rooms were well furbished and the bathrooms beautiful, our room was really quiet so we had a great sleep however the in-laws room overlooked an alley and late night bar so they had no sleep whatsoever because of fights etc, I would make sure you choose a room to stay in or you could end up disappointed.

Room Tip: ask for room not overlooking alley where night club is as there will be no sleep at all that night
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Overall, a fairly satisfactory experience for you and your family, however I am slightly disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations due to the noise issue and slow service mentioned. Rest assured I have shared your feedback with our Food & Beverage Manager who shall address the service standards. With regards to the noise, I would appreciate if you would contact me directly should you be returning to the 'Caley', as being a city centre hotel at the weekend, there is always going to be the risk of disturbance. However, please e-mail me at chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com, and I can arrange for a room facing inwards to the hotel, allowing for a peaceful evening.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Totally recommended hotel. Nice rooms good size. Very well located. Close to center. Very good staff. nothing to complaint. I rate poor to cleanness because they forgot to clean my room one day. I will recommend this hotel to all my friends and colleges. Visit the Bar as it a very nice place where to have a drink. Internet expensive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed here for the weekend and found the service 1st class.
The rooms were lovely, well presented and very clean. All the staff I encountered were very friendly and a credit to the hotel.
Breakfast was amazing with lots to choose from.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to spoil themselves :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. You have obviously enjoyed your weekend break, and I am pleased that you chose to stay at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria on your visit to Edinburgh.

Moreover, I do hope that you are able to return to the 'Caley' in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here for 10 days for a business trip.

Location: At the quieter end of Princes Street. That's still a plus because you don't get into nasty traffic nor face road closures compared to being located right smack in the city center. It is still within a short walking distance to the main shopping area.

Room: Comfy pillows and bed. The toiletries and bath robe were all good stuff. Only bad point was that the toilet can get too cold during winter times. The toilet also had the street light shining through thus i could not get a completely blackout room at night during sleeptime.

Restaurant: Excellent hotel restaurant food. Most of the time i will avoid eating at the hotels as they are usually overpriced. But this one was reasonably priced with good quality.

Service: Excellent service. I had some minibar charges (electronically tagged) wrongly charged to my room. The charges were taken out with no question asked. Most of the service staff were very polite.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your trip to Edinburgh, and pleased that we were able to assist in making this possible. I agree that the location is particularly beneficial as a city centre hotel, and I am also happy that you recommend one of our Galvin Restaurants.

Hopefully you will be able to return to the capital in future, and I have no doubt that you will return to the 'Caley' when doing so.