Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
  • Pool
$860
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$165
$136
$129
  • Room Service
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$236
$249
$194
Excellent 5/5
  • Room Service
Travelodge Edinburgh Central(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$82
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
4,017 results
All reviewspeacock alleycaley bargalvin brasserieguerlain spacastle viewbeautiful hotelend of princes streetfive star hotelturn down servicenespresso machinean upgradebirthday treatbeautiful roomhaggisroyal mileconciergedoorman
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Just back from 2 days at the Caley. As Edinburgh born and bred, but away for 15 years now, I fulfilled a boyhood dream and brought my wife for our 10th anniversary.

Excellent in almost every respect. Menu Degustation at the Pompadour restaurant was very good - helpful Scottish waiters and a sommelier from Wales who did a great job introducing the wines. Dinner lasted 3 hours and we had a lovely table overlooking the castle.

The leisure club is fine - I had it to myself most of the time. Plenty of good equipment.

My wife enjoyed afternoon tea in the beautiful peacock alley. Breakfast also first class.

Just 2 comments:
1. This hotel should consider some kind of double glazing on the bedrooms that overlook the busy Lothian Road. The rumble of buses and lorries and the wail of sirens is actually quite noisy. (We were on the first floor)
I know the traditional Victorian design might be spoiled a bit, but the Pompadour restaurant which is on the mezzanine floor just above ground has a kind of secondary glazing and it is tranquil in comparison.

2. After afternoon tea in peacock alley, which was great, we were presented with a chit to sign, the first line of which read "TIP ------". Considering that we had already had a discretionary service charge added to our bill, I thought this lacked class (to say the least..). I'm not against tipping (I did tip the concierge) but I doubt I would be alone in finding this kind of presentation a bit tasteless. Anyway, just a small thing...

All in all, highly recommended hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It is wonderful to hear that you were able to return to Edinburgh after such a long period of time, and I am honoured that you chose to stay at the 'Caley' for such a special occasion. You have certainly departed feeling more than satisfied, with thanks to the service received from our team in our Pompadour by Galvin Restaurant, as well as our Guerlain Spa and Peacock Alley.

Moreover, I also appreciate your feedback with regards to the secondary glazing, and verbiage used on our guest checks. These are both examples of how we are looking to make the relevant improvements as a Waldorf Astoria hotel, and it is only through your constructive comments that this is possible. Thank you once again!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed at the Caledonian with my wife and six month old son over the Easter weekend and we all had an absolutely fantastic couple of days.
This is an amazing hotel that provided us with everything we wanted from our stay. The staff members were attentive, polite and seemed completely determined to enhance our experience.

The king deluxe room was perfect, great view of the city, plenty of space for the three of us and quiet enough for our son to sleep peacefully in the travel cot provided by the hotel.

Peacock Alley, the lobby lounge at the hotel is really nice, the staff are engaging and really made us feel relaxed. We spent each early evening having a drink here and it was a really good way to enjoy the hotel.

We also visited the swimming pool, which is small but adequate for children and anyone who wishes to do a bit of exercise during their stay. The changing facilities were clean and well equipped.

All in all a fantastic stay, a thoroughly recommended hotel in a great position made all the better by the people that work there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that we were able to surpass your expectations over the Easter Weekend, and I am sure that your 6 month old son appreciated the experience! By all accounts, the facilities used, including our wonderful Peacock Alley, and our fabulous Guerlain Spa were a hit. Therefore, I shall certainly pass on your comments to the relevant team members who were working over the weekend.

Moreover, we hope to welcome you all back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at The Caledonian for 2 nights to attend a wedding and celebrate our wedding anniversary. The setting, tea room, and halls were beautiful and luxurious. Our room was also very nice. Meticulously clean and done to a very high standard. My only small gripe would be that the bathroom didn’t have a tub which I was looking forward to but the quality in the rest of the room more than made up for it. The hotel location was central near Princes Street and it was very easy to get around from where we were staying.

The service in the hotel was surprisingly poor and unseasoned for a 5 star hotel. We arrived after the check-in time and was told that our room was not ready. Rather than inviting us to the tea room to have a coffee or to the bar for a drink we were just told to wait as the room would be ready in 15 minutes. There was a maintenance problem in our room (pump in heating unit broken - fair enough happens sometimes) and were told that they would fix it in the morning. No concession or apology of any sort offered alongside. We pushed back and were moved into “an identical room” but really mistakes that inconvenience customers in 5 star hotels shouldn’t be the patron’s problem, the hotel should have offered something to acknowledge the inconvenience of repacking suitcases, etc. Yet, we didn't even get an apology. The wake-up call on our last day was 10 minutes late and when we tried ordering room service after getting back late from a wedding it was a shambles and we cancelled our order. There was no interaction with hotel staff that left a markedly good impression during the duration of our stay.

On the balance I would probably stay here again if staying in Edinburgh but I would really hope that the hotel would make an effort to bring their service to a more fitting standard for a hotel of this quality.

1  Thank Andrew S
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Overall, I am pleased to read that you had a pleasant experience whilst celebrating your Wedding Anniversary. Needless to say however, I am concerned by your comments on the service issues mentioned. I shall certainly review our communication procedures, as this is definitely not the standard we expect from our team members, and hopefully as stated, you shall return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We were really looking forward to a couple of nights here at an advanced purchase rate of £179 b&b. As gold card holders we were disappointed to find free breakfast no longer on offer, so decided to pay the £20 extra a night per room...decided not to take up the two £15 vouchers offered for each person for each night. Our maths obviously better than theirs!
So on arrival...no upgrade available. Hilton website suggested differently...
Room was smallish but spotless and well appointed. A wee cadburys creme egg a nice touch.
BUT throughout our stay there was an unmistakeable smell of sewage right along the corridor and in the reception area. My son travelled through from Glasgow and it was the first thing he commented on. Receptionist seemed puzzled by our reporting it, but henceforth it was either that or a very strong whiff of air freshener...
Brasserie staff very pleasant, but not value for money. Peacock Alley impressive and food tasty and more reasonable. Leisure club was spotless.
Beautiful bathrobes, but one had dirty scuff marks which we reported to reception. It was never replaced...
None of the above was helped by the lack of direct access to Princes St...
This was all followed by a night at Hilton Grosvenor in Glasgow. For £65 we got: instant upgrade; complimentary breakfast; complimentary bottle of wine. Faith restored by this.
Waldorf makeover seems to scoff at Hilton loyalty, as others have pointed out. Hilton brand still appears to reward it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate your constructive feedback, and there certainly some positives and negatives to take away from your comments. As stated, it is correct that our HHonors members do not now receive breakfast inclusive in the rate, however there are many other advantages of the loyalty scheme, and this is certainly not a reflection on the importance of our valued HHonors members. I am also disappointed that you feel that our Galvin Brasserie De Luxe was not value for money, as this is an observation that I have very rarely experienced since the restaurant opened.

We shall by all means take your comments on board, and as always, I embrace all of the feedback received as it is only through this feedback that we can make the relevant improvements to our service. I hope that we will indeed be able to restore your faith in our brand, and you will choose to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We spent our fifth anniversary on Easter weekend with the hotel - one of the best ever for service, room, spa, and food! My husband and I both had excellent massages at the Guerlain spa. Staff were super attentive and friendly. The sauna, steamroom and pool were very clean. Even though our room didn't have the castle view, it was immaculately clean, well decorated, and comfortable. Housekeeping took the care to organize our toiletries and when we requested a new hairdryer because the one I was using broke, one of the staff ran out of breath to bring it to our room. We dined at the Pompadour, had the 7 course tasting menu with wine paring (wrote a toptable review in detail, user yumfortum) - the food was amazing, service just as perfect as the hotel's. The doorman reminded us to take a rubber ducky before we left as a souvenir for Easter from the hotel.

Throughout our whole stay we never felt rushed or like we asked for too much of anything. The coolest part was that it felt like the staff were friendly and providing this level of service because they individually and personally believed in doing so, and were genuinely nice people (this comes from a skeptical New Yorker, by the way). The Caledonian is excellent and exemplifies what a five star hotel is and should be.
Highly recommended and would go back there any time (next time with castle view).

Room Tip: Castle view, a room in the old wing.
1  Thank Sumana U

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It is always a pleasure hearing such wonderful comments from our guests, and this is certainly no different. I agree that Easter weekend was such a success throughout the hotel, and I will be honoured to share your feedback with the relevant team members, including those at the Guerlain Spa.

Moreover, I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome this sceptical New Yorker back to the 'Caley' again in the future.