“Afternoon tea”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Recently visited there for afternoon tea in the company of my wife, her mother who was celebrating her eightieth birthday and an elderly aunt. On arrival the doorman on duty was very kind, helpful and attentive to my elderly guests and assisted with parking my car near to the doorway before personally escorting my relatives inside..
The afternoon tea was plentiful and delicious and the service by all staff was of the highest standard. None could have been more helpful or friendly. our table had birthday decorations on same and staff produced a small cake with a candle which delighted my mother in law.
The surroundings and indeed the whole experience was absolutely first class and in my opinion the staff concerned are the best I have experienced in any hotel visit I have made.
I would recommend the afternoon tea at this hotel to anyone and found this excellent value
I did not stay at the premises but will be doing so in the near future after this visit

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank croftheadbob
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your Afternoon Tea experience with us. I appreciate your wonderful feedback, and I am delighted that we were able to assist in enhancing your birthday celebrations.

Furthermore, I do hope that you return to Peacock Alley in the near future.

Chris Logan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, UK
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have just returned from The Caledonian following a 2 night stay to celebrate a 40th birthday with family. As a Hilton Gold Card holder, I was upgraded twice to a Junior Suite which was beautiful - the in-laws were also upgraded to the same grade of room which was an unexpected bonus.
On the first night (Friday) we ate at The Pompadour which was superb, although it could have done with a few more patrons to increase the atmosphere. The food and service was first class. I understand that it was fully booked on the Saturday night so I am sure that there would have been more of a buzz.
On the second night, we ate in the Galvin Brasserie. Again, a very good experience. The restaurant was busy (looked fully booked) but the service was friendly and efficient. They even brought out a birthday cake for a rousing rendition of "Happy Birthday to You" - to the suitable embarrassment of the recipient.
Small niggles - we were woken before7 on our first morning by a pre-set alarm on the TV (I assume by the room's previous occupant). My brother-in -law and his wife were woken by the alarm clock in theirs. Perhaps housekeeping could turn off all alarms upon check-out?
Also, we were unable to get a table for 7 of us at breakfast despite our eating as a group in the various restaurants for the rest of the weekend. It wasn't a big deal though.
Lastly, the pool area is pretty uninspiring - no real design or decoration, just a blank, white room. It could do with some imaginative tinkering to make it look a little more inviting and less like the local council leisure centre.
All in all, a very enjoyable stay in a beautifully refurbished hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank TedLondon
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Overall, a very satisfying stay has been had, including your dining experience in our Pompadour by Galvin restaurant. I also appreciate your feedback with regards to the decor of the bedroom, although we are aiming for the clean, white, crisp furnishings, I shall certainly pass your comments on to our General Manager.

Moreover, I do hope that you will be able to return to the 'Caley' in the near future.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed there for 3 nights and I absolutely loved it! We had a deluxe king room. Large bathroom, a lot of space and a great walk-in closet. The bed was very comfy. Great location, directly on Princes street, in front of the gardens, park and the Edinburgh Castle. The service was very good, they even checked-in with me a week before my stay, just to know if I had any special requests. Smooth check-in + check-out, very friendly. Special thanks to Kelly Lei who helped us make reservations and recommended The Pompadour (try this restaurant if you have the chance). The concierge was also very nice. We went to the Caley bar twice and the drinks were good. Perfect to relax after dinner. Only little downfall: no turndown service + no complementary water bottles at night. It is not that big of a deal, but still the kind of things you do expect from a 5 stars hotel. Tried other Waldorf Astorias and they do it. But overall, very good hotel and it will be my first choice when I visit Edinburgh again! Thanks for the great weekend.

3 Thank mc_1990
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your 3 nights with us, and the service appears to have exceeded your expectations. I would also like to ensure you that I have shared your comments with regards to the turndown service with our Executive Housekeeper as it is only through your constructive feedback that we are able to improve on the service we provide for our guests.

Moreover, I do hope that you are able to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Did not actually stay in hotel, so can only comment on Afternoon Tea, which we enjoyed after shopping on a Saturday afternoon. Upon arrival we could not be accommodated as there were no available tables. However we left the hotel, shopped a little longer and returned one hour later (as arranged) for afternoon tea. The service was excellent, ambiance in the room, although busy was very nice. The quality of freshly made sandwiches, home made scones and cakes were delicious and the choices of tea (which was fresh leaf tea) was very good. There were so many cakes that we were unable to eat them all and we noticed that others like ourselves had requested cake boxes to take home the left over cakes - the staff were more than happy to do this for us. A lovely treat and can't wait to return another occassion.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your afternoon tea experience with us. I am delighted to hear that we were able to accommodate you on what was certainly an extremely busy Saturday in Peacock Alley. I am happy to hear that the ambience was to your satisfaction, and hopefully you will return to the 'Caley' again to relax in and enjoy our facilities.

Southampton
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This sumptuous luxury hotel has recently been refurbished making it an ideal place for a city break in Scotland's capital city. The rooms are huge, and there is a variety of styles (we had three!), but all display impeccable sophisticated taste in their decor, and some have wonderful art. The building oozes history, and sits almost beneath the castle, so all locations are easily reached, but there is no problem from road. noise. The beds are sumptuous, and the staff are incredibly efficient and friendly. I could not recommend this place more highly. Probably the best hotel I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Rooms with a castle view are the most atmospheric.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank PaddyBurt
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I cannot thank you enough for your wonderful comments, and to be described as a 'sumptuous luxury hotel' is certainly a compliment of the highest order!

I have no doubt that we will be welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future!

Preston
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Do not consider any other hotel to stay whilst in Edinburgh, the rooms, the amenities and especially the staff are great, nothing too much trouble, just returned from celebrating my birthday with a couple of friends and the attention to detail was second to none, special thanks to Chris,I have stayed previously and never been disappointed, will be returning hopefully very soon .

Room Tip: Worth asking for a room with a view of the castle, beautiful to wake up to .
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kathykiki
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to meet you all, and I am delighted that we were able to assist in making your birthday celebration such a special occasion!

I hope that your journey back to Preston went well, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the near future.

northeast
Reviewed March 3, 2013

A recent 2 night stay for a birthday treat left me feeling somewhat let down. Despite pre booking an upgrade if available on arrival, we were not offered it at check in. After a speedy efficient check in we found our room. Not the biggest of rooms and not much storage space either, just as well we were only here for 2 nights, we would have struggled to find space for a weeks worth of clothes! The bathroom was functional with luxury bath products and robes. Well stocked minibar (chargeable) but not enough supplies of tea/coffee. My main gripe about the room was the decor, although it didn't spoil our stay i was however surprised by some faults, especially after a multi million pound refurb. There were cracked floor and wall tiles in the bathroom, the ceiling spot lights in the bathroom were loose and the heated towel rail whined all night, there were water stains on the bedroom ceiling and the windows were really difficult to open and close, even for a relatively fit person.
There are some positives about this hotel, the staff are polite and courteous and deliver a high standard of service. We ate in the brasserie on our first evening and although tables are very close together, we did enjoy a lovely meal. Peacock alley is very grand but lacks a bit of atmosphere, maybe a resident pianist?? Breakfast were served in the brasserie, everything from full cooked breakfast through to cereals and fruits.
Would I stay here again, I don't think so. I don't think Hilton have quite got it right with this hotel.

1 Thank happytreks
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am however sorry to learn of the issues experienced with the standard of room in which you stayed. Although an up-grade had been requested as mentioned, this is a complimentary basis only according to availability. Moreover, I understand that this was a special birthday celebration, unfortunately due to our high business levels; we were unable to provide this on this occasion.

On the other hand, I would like to thank you for your feedback, including your kind remarks on the high standard of service received from our team members. Overall, I do hope that you choose to return to the 'Caley' again in the future, and please contact me directly at chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com should you wish to do so.