“Just superb”

GreenLeadersSilver level
England
“Just superb”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our second visit to The Caledonian. It's now been taken over by the Waldorf Astoria so had changed quite dramatically in decor. I cannot fault this place. I took my 10 year old son for two nights to visit friends in Edinburgh. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a deluxe twin room - it was more like a deluxe double room as each bed was nearly a double! We had a fantastic view of the castle. The breakfast was delicious and they even managed to find some chocolate sauce for my son's pancakes. I shall be back next year and each year after. I have stayed several times at the Balmoral, which yes, is a stunning hotel, but I have to say, for the price we paid for the Caledonian it was certainly value for money and still with all the lovely trappings. What also impressed me... they phoned me the week before we were due to arrive, to ask if we had any special requests.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tj4789
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria hotel. I am delighted that you chose to return to the 'Caley' again on your return to Edinburgh, despite having also experienced one of the other properties within the city. Moreover, we look forward to welcoming back to the hotel in the near future.

Chris Logan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Dumfries, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in a lovely setting, we experienced wonderful room, excellent service luxury and fantastic food in the Pompadour throughout our stay in Edinburgh would definitely recommend a stay there.

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria hotel. I am delighted to hear that we were able to provide the luxury service that you expected during your stay, and hopefully you will be able to return to the 'Caley' to sample our facilities again.

Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for one night. The hotel itself is a beautiful building from both outside and inside
I had been upgraded to a room that has a view on the castle and the view is just magical (see pictures)
Hotel has many amenities, haven't tried the spa/swimming pool so won't comment on that part but the bar was really nice
The location is great as very close to the castle and some of the interesting evening venues (Lyceum, traverse Théâtre, ...) or thought I would have preferred to be closer to Waverley/the royal mile to be even more central (yes, I'm picky :) ). I guess it depends what you are planning to do during your trip to Edinburgh.
Anyway, I have really enjoyed my stay there, the hotel/room has all the amenities you can expect from a hotel of this standing and the beauty of the place linked to the magical view over the castle will give your stay this extra something that makes a stay very memorable.

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria hotel. Overall, it would appear that we have exceeded your expectations and I am happy that you appreciate the wonderful amenities we have within our bedrooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Aylesford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed here from the 18th to the 22nd Feb with hubby and my 8 year old! We travel on a regular basis and for some time my son had expressed a preference to Edinburgh ! I decided on the Caledonian through trip advisor reviews and was not disappointed as we had fantastic service throughout! Alastair who is on concierge was a hit with my son Joshua and he was so helpful throughout our stay ! Andrew was always lurking round in peacock alley waiting to catch Josh and tell him a joke or something! Niamh also was lovely and helpful as was everybody else who works there! We stayed in room 338 twas a huge deluxe room with a great view of the castle and Joshua even he had his own robe n slippers plus colouring books n pencils and a little Nessie bath toy! The spa facilities were fabulous and afternoon tea was plentiful with the most gorgeous cakes and scones! We had room service the first evening after a long journey that was superb and we also ate in the cally bar one evening which was also lovely.Breakfast was probably the best buffet we have eaten in and believe me we have stayed in a lot of 5* hotels! Having the cook out in front constantly checking when food needed to be replenished was nice to see and nothing was to much trouble if you wanted something that wasn't on the buffet.
If we ever come back to Edinburgh there will be no hesitation to stay here again ! My little boy seriously did not want to leave....
The only thing that was annoying was our flight was delayed :( however when we came back to the hotel to pick up our luggage we decided to have a drink and my iPhone was running low so I asked Alastair if could get to my suitcase and rummage around for my charger! However he said I needn't worry as he had a charger there and promptly put it on charge for me!! Excellent service yet again!!
Thank you everybody at the Caledonian we really had a wonderful stay! We won't forget you

Room Tip: Ask for a castle view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria. I really appreciate such glowing comments with regards to the experience had by you and your family, and you have certainly enjoyed the use of our facilities throughout.

Rest assured I shall share your feedback with the relevant team members, and I am positive that we will be welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We had a standard room which was very small but had a great view of Edinburgh Castle. The bed was very hard and we both sore backs in the morning. It was all clean and functional although the bathroom sink was blocked and the tap appeared to be about to fall off. The hotel is very well situated for exploring Edinburgh and most things are easily within walking distance. The public rooms are very smart and recently refurbished. Peacock Alley is very impressive. Breakfast was a bit disappointing with rather tasteless black pudding and greasy scrambled eggs.

Room Tip: Ask for one with view of the Castle
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rory M
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria hotel. Unfortunately however, the room in which you stayed appears to have fallen somewhat below your expectations. I would therefore appreciate if you would contact me directly via e-mail at chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com, where I can follow up with my team accordingly with the room in question.

Furthermore, I do hope that this poor experience does not deter you from returning to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Afternoon tea here is just divine! Coming from London, it was very cheap (the ritz is around £45 pp) and here at the Caley it was only £22 pp! And it was a lot better! Good variety of teas, including fresh teas such as mango and passion fruit, and lovely display teas. Then you get lots of tasty sandwiches, scones with jam and cream and too many cakes, many of which we didn't try because we were so full. Staff were brilliant and the peacock alley tearoom is lovely! Thumbs up!

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting a review following your Afternoon Tea experience at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria hotel. You obviously enjoyed the occasion, and I am certain that we will see you back at the 'Caley' again in the future!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed for 1 night for a short business trip paying £140 per night. Thanks to my Hilton gold card, I was upgraded to a nice room with a view of Edinburgh castle. A few years ago this was a horrible Hilton, but this place has since been refurbished into the Waldorf and it is much, much better. But it is still having stiff competition from the Sheraton Grand, just 4 minutes walk down the road in Festival Square - that would still be my first choice. As far as luxury goes, the Waldorf's room is very good, but the Sheraton is more modern and I think much better. The excellent gym and pool at the Sheraton (free) also plays a part in me making that statement. Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

PROs:
1. Room is good sized, and I had the castle view room for £140 - good value.

2. Very comfortable beds and pillows - no problems sleeping.

3. Luxury bath robes and slippers for you to wear in the room.

4. Salvatore Ferrogamo's toiletries - nice luxurious touch.

5. Helpful Reception and concierge staff.

6. Free Nespresso coffee in the machine - a nice touch.

7. Free Wi-Fi (but only if you've got Gold HHonor status)

8. Good location near the castle and many eateries.

CONs:

1. No free Wi-Fi unless you're a gold HHonors member, but I guess this is normal practice for any chain 5 star hotels.

2. The master switch for lights is near the door so you have to either switch off all the lights in the room individually or walk to the door, turn off the lights using the master switch and then walk back to your bed in darkness - would have made more sense to have a master switch near the bed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria hotel. I appreciate your constructive feedback, and overall I feel that you have experienced the touch of luxury which we aim to bring throughout our historic walls.

Furthermore, I do hope that you choose the 'Caley' to reside in on your next trip to the capital.