“Fantastic stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester
“Fantastic stay”
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

The Caledonian is expensive but worth it. The rooms are great, service attentive but not overly so. We ate in both restaurants and though very different both were excellent as was breakfast. Even the gym was good!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Nigel B
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay with us at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria hotel. I am happy to see that were able to use all of our facilities within the hotel, including both of our Galvin Restaurants, as well as our Guerlain Spa. Moreover, you have obviously enjoyed the overall experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Kind regards,

Chris Logan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My maid of honour organised for us to go to this hotel for afternoon tea for my hen do. It was lovely. Lots of sandwiches, cakes, scones and a huge selection of teas. The staff were very attentive and couldn't have been more helpful. The actual hotel was beautiful inside and really luxurious. The woman who seemed to be in charge told us a bit of the history of the building which was really interesting. It was quite expensive though. For 6 extra finger sandwiches we got charged £8!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pistachio6
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your Afternoon Tea experience with us. I am delighted that we were able to assist in making your celebration such a special occasion, and hopefully you will return in the near future!

Kind regards,

Chris Logan
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The whole experience at the Caledonian hotel was fantastic from the beginning. I had arranged 15 people for afternoon tea on Sunday the 10th of February. I first spoke to Ben who was extremely polite and after speaking to him I decided to have choose this hotel (there is a lot of competition for Afternoon Tea in Edinburgh) From then on Charlie one of the managers helped me with the booking, and you cannot fault his service he was brilliant. He showed me the hotel and where we would be dining for the afternoon. His emails were so friendly and helpful, he really knows how to do his job and you can tell he enjoys what he does.

The food was just amazing, you really get a huge amount for the amount you pay. So many choices and the scones in particular were delicious. The service was great and I would come here again.

If you are looking for a special afternoon this is the place to go, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Don't worry about the roadworks, they don't ruin the experience.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lorna C
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your Afternoon Tea visit at The Caledonian. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea, as you say, there is a lot of choice in Edinburgh so we were delighted that you dined with us.

We hope to see back in 'The Caley' again.
aberdeen
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I always compare hotels to the service I get in Dubai and never thought I would get such similar service in Scotland but hats off to the Caledonian because I have just returned from a fantastic weekend at the hotel and the service was outstanding.

Stunning building and recently refurbished to a high standard. We had a lovely room, spotlessly clean, quite and tastefully decorated.

From the minute we arrived the concierge took the bags and car away to be parked, within minutes cases were at our room. I left my specs in the car and when I called down to get my keys to go and collect them the concierge wouldnt hear of it and insisted on getting my glasses for me. All the staff are very well trained. Courteous, smiling, helpful. I didnt encounter one member of staff that wasnt professional. They are a credit to the hotel.

An excellent breakfast in the morning after a good nights sleep.

Used the pool which was also very nice albeit slightly lacking in atmosphere but was a nice relaxing time in jacuzzi.
The location of the hotel is great, right in the city centre and I would easily recommend a stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aberdeenmanny
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us at The Caledonian. We were delighted to see that you had a great time at the hotel and enjoyed the service you received. I will pass on your positive comments to the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you to 'The Caley' again.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We Stayed at this hotel 2 weeks before Xmas to go shopping and to see the Xmas markets.
The hotel is very grand and stunning inside.
Excellent location at the top of princess street.

Our room was lovely and spacious and we had booked for views over the castle- which we got.
Yes we could hear the noise from outside, but this is an old building and they had big heavy curtains up to help prevent this!
All toiletries were replenished if used during the day and we also received turn down service which was a nice extra.

The concierge desk Were very helpful and assisted us with questions we had.

One thing I could comment on was when the person came to check the mini bar, my husband said to him not now my wife is laying down for a bit but he still came in- and looked across to the bed!!

There was a fire alarm during our stay and the staff were very helpful and apologetic.

The breakfast was lovely with a huge selection of cooked food, fruit, muffins, breakfast bars etc!

Room Tip: Pay more for better room with castle view it was worth it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Medleymixture
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us during the festive period. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your time with us especially the breakfast and that you managed to get a some Christmas shopping done during your visit. I will pass on your comments with regard to the member of staff replenishing the mini bar.

We look forward to welcoming you to 'The Caley' again.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went to Eburgh for the 6 nations. This hotel is a good 1.5 mile walk to the ground. Great location right at the end of Princes Street opposite House of Fraser and the Castle/Grounds. Beautiful view if you are in the right room. Went to the Caley Bar - pricey but fantastic service. Peacock Alley is amazing, worth going into the hotel just to see the light installation. Had dinner in the Brasserie - we had our kids with us, they were very considerate to us, put us out of the way and spoiled the kids. Tried the spa in the morning, pool is small but very clean. Jacuzzi was fun. Breakfast included in the rate and wow it was good, very hot buffet which they were constantly replenishing. Service was a bit rubbish at breakfast as they were very busy - we were sat at a table in the middle of the restaurant right next to the buffet queue and it was like being on a roundabout which was disconcerting, but the food itself was lovely. The hotel did try to charge us for mini bar we hadn't used, but took it off with no argument. Turn down service where they lay out your pyjamas is a nice touch. Would definitely go again and would recommend, but take a load of cash!!!

Room Tip: Get a high floor with castle facing.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am pleased to see that you had a great time at the hotel and hope you enjoyed the rugby. Thank you for your constructive comments with regard to the breakfast service, I will certainly pass these on.

We hope to see you again at 'The Caley'.
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed for two nights with large group. Speedy check-in, friendly service, gorgeous beds, nice bathrooms, very nice in-room-breakfast (service to be specially commended), the glory of a proper scone with proper clotted cream with a proper cup of tea, stylishly designed common areas and rooms, central location in Edinburgh, close to attractions. All in all a very high quality stay at a very high quality hotel.

Can't comment on value, as I did not pay for the room myself.
Can't comment on SPA, as I did not use it.

One draw-back: No free wifi. On long trips such as the one I partook in, that is the kind of things that makes a difference.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay at The Caledonian. I am pleased to see that you had a great time with us and enjoyed the in-room breakfast and freshly made scone and clotted cream.

Hopefully on your next visit you will have the time to experience the Spa.

We look forward to seeing you again at 'The Caley'.