“Faultless Pompadour Restaurant”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #53 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 27, 2013

7 of us dined there on Friday night-they`re running a special deal-3 courses and half a bottle of wine for £39 per head-you have to start by 7 p.m.
This was a very special experience in a very gracious room-our table had a vista over the tram works which was, if anything, a point of amusement and did not diminish our enjoyment one bit.
The food was lovely-with an interesting combination of flavours.
The service was absolutely outstanding-a beautifully considered balance of close but not intrusive and friendly attention.
Edinburgh residents do tend to overlook Edinburgh Hotel restaurants-in this case it would be a big mistake!
Do not miss this offer=outstanding value!

Fantastic value for money-do not miss this offer!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your dining experience in The Pompadour by Galvin. I am delighted to hear that your party enjoyed the whole evening, and hopefully more people shall start to use our 'hotel restaurant as mentioned. Maybe the tram works may even be finished should you choose to return in the future!

Chris Logan

Write a ReviewReviews (3,793)

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I thoroughly enjoy going into the Caledonian for my coffee, the coffee and biscuit are always nice, staff very pleasant and surroundings very relaxing. No point in sitting in the crammed coffee shop over the road with a mediocre cuppa, when you can relax and spoil yourself for an extra 50p !!!
I used the main bar for a long time but with the recent upgrade and refurbishment I love the Peacock Alley lounge, where the feature wall panel is amazing. It is also nice to be able to linger with a newspaper while the good lady wanders off to the shop. The afternoon teas look very good also,

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review with regards to your experiences with the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria hotel. It certainly sounds like you are a fan of our wonderful Peacock Alley area, and I agree that the surroundings are extremely special. Hopefully you continue to use the 'Caley' for a place to relax and enjoy a coffee, and I also recommend that you sample our afternoon tea!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

hi there went to waldorf astoria with my husband and grandaughter for a night stay and we were not disappionted the staff were brilliant nothing to much bother and we were also upgraded to a castle view no extra charge thanks to reception supervisor due to an error on reservation staff so thank you.we had afternoon tea at peacock alley with our friends and it was wonderfull.location excellent concierge brilliant .breakfast in the morning was excellent manager was great with my grandaughter nothing to much bother.just a big thank you for a excellent stay room fantastic room number 306 what a view sums up edinburgh.

Room Tip: ask for 306 for a great view definetly get a castle view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I was extremely pleased to meet you and your grand daughter over the weekend, and I do hope that you enjoyed your visit to the castle. I am also delighted to hear your positive remarks with regards to the service received from our team members, I will pass on your feedback to the relevant departments including our breakfast manager.

Furthermore, I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have just returned from our trip to celebrate my husband's birthday and were genuinely impressed by both the quality of the the hotel and the staff.
We booked a king deluxe room and it was extremely comfortable. High quality furnishings, excellent lighting and a superb shower. The snowy conditions outside seemed inconsiquential when snuggled up in the cosiest robe i've ever encountered in a hotel - it may be a small detail but it certainly added to the feeling of luxury. I had requested a high floor without a view as i am a light sleeper and was concerned the street noise would keep me awake. The room we were allocated was exactly what i requested and was the quietest hotel room i have ever stayed in - never heard a sound all night, though the bed was so comfortable, i defy anyone not to have a good nights sleep in it!

We enjoyed a superb afternoon tea in Peacock Alley - the surroundings were just beautiful and the service was both elegant and informal. The quality of the food was excellent and it was a lovely relaxing way to begin our stay.

We had reservations for the Pompadour restaurant for the evening though had initially intended eating out of the hotel and had made our booking just in case we couldn't get in in elsewhere. However the snowy conditions forecast made the decision to eat in an easy one and I am so glad we did!! For some reason, this beautiful restaurant seems to flying under the radar of most of the sites or people i spoke to regarding fine dining in the city and I'm unsure why.

The food was divine - cooked to perfection with a modern take on classic gastronomy. The ambience was a little flat at first as the dining room was quiet but as it filled up, it was a lovely relaxed but elegant meal. The quality of the service equalled that of the food and we were genuinely impressed. I look forward to a future meal where i intend to enjoy the menu gourmand, it looked like a beautiful menu and the wine pairings seemed interesting too - we just couldn't have done it justice after such a delicious afternoon tea!

Breakfast was absolutely fine but we had rather a long wait for coffee and toast despite it not being particularly busy. This wasn't a particular problem for us as we were enjoying a leisurely breakfast but i know it was irritating other guests.

The hotel acknowledged my husband's big birthday with a subtle gesture at every opportunity which was much appreciated by both of us - he's not a fan of a fuss but enjoyed the little treats!

I would certainly recommend the hotel for a relaxing break and will be suggesting The Pompadour to anyone looking for a special dinner venue.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am extremely pleased to read of your glowing experience with us, and I am delighted that we were able to assist in making your husband's birthday such an enjoyable occasion. Indeed our Peacock Alley is a wonderful area, and I agree that the 'Pompadour' by Galvin is a magnificent choice of fine dining restaurant, both the quality of food and service.

Moreover, I also appreciate your feedback with regards to the breakfast quality, and Marco Pinto, our food & beverage manager has been informed of your remarks. I am sure that you will return to the 'Caley' again in the future should you have the opportunity.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We spent our 40th wedding anniversary weekend with all our family at the hotel. All of the rooms were well appointed and the bath robes were so good, we were given 2 as a gift from the family!

The public areas, especially the new 'Peacock Alley', are stylish and comfortable. The only downside was that our room was not double glazed and so we were aware of street noise in the early hours.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a quiet room preferably with double glazing
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to read that we were able to assist in making your 40th Wedding Anniversary such a memorable occasion!

Our luxurious bathrobes are certainly a talking point for a number of our guests, and you are extremely fortunate to have your family present you one as a gift. We look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' in the future.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Very nice stay in Edinburgh. Check in was quick and friendly, I received an upgrade to a deluxe room with as castle view and a voucher for a drink in the bar. The hotel has been renovated to a very high standard and the Peacock Alley bar is great for a drink before heading into town. The rooms are clean and have been refreshed to a good standard and the view over Edinburgh are beautiful. Will be back again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank privateinfo222

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. You have obviously enjoyed your time in Edinburgh, and I am delighted that you chose to stay with us. Our Peacock Alley is certainly a very popular area for people to meet for a coffee, as well as enjoy our famous afternoon tea selection, and I appreciate your positive feedback.

Moreover, I also extremely pleased to hear that you will be back to visit us at the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed here on 30th/31st December when going to the Hogmanay Street Party and overall we had a really enjoyable stay. Our three rooms were well equipped and comfortable, although I agree with some previous comments that the bathrooms were perhaps not as luxurious as the rest of the room and we too had issues with having to wait quite a while for hot water when using the showers. We didn't eat in the hotel at all but did have drinks in the bar where we found the staff to be really efficient and friendly, as were the staff elsewhere in the hotel. But I guess the best thing about the hotel is its location - perfect to be able to walk everywhere without the hassle of taxis etc, especially on New Year's Eve.

Just a couple of niggles with Reception - the newspaper we asked for didn't arrive and we found the final invoice a little confusing and we're still a little unsure as to what a couple of the items listed were but all in all a good stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted that you chose to spend the Hogmanay celebrations with us, and overall it would appear that you enjoyed your experience with us. As mentioned, we were experiencing some hot water issues, and I would like to take the opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Moreover, I do hope that you will return to the 'Caley' again in the future.