“wonderful stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ayr, United Kingdom
“wonderful stay”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

hi there went to waldorf astoria with my husband and grandaughter for a night stay and we were not disappionted the staff were brilliant nothing to much bother and we were also upgraded to a castle view no extra charge thanks to reception supervisor due to an error on reservation staff so thank you.we had afternoon tea at peacock alley with our friends and it was wonderfull.location excellent concierge brilliant .breakfast in the morning was excellent manager was great with my grandaughter nothing to much bother.just a big thank you for a excellent stay room fantastic room number 306 what a view sums up edinburgh.

Room Tip: ask for 306 for a great view definetly get a castle view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I was extremely pleased to meet you and your grand daughter over the weekend, and I do hope that you enjoyed your visit to the castle. I am also delighted to hear your positive remarks with regards to the service received from our team members, I will pass on your feedback to the relevant departments including our breakfast manager.

Furthermore, I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Chris Logan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have just returned from our trip to celebrate my husband's birthday and were genuinely impressed by both the quality of the the hotel and the staff.
We booked a king deluxe room and it was extremely comfortable. High quality furnishings, excellent lighting and a superb shower. The snowy conditions outside seemed inconsiquential when snuggled up in the cosiest robe i've ever encountered in a hotel - it may be a small detail but it certainly added to the feeling of luxury. I had requested a high floor without a view as i am a light sleeper and was concerned the street noise would keep me awake. The room we were allocated was exactly what i requested and was the quietest hotel room i have ever stayed in - never heard a sound all night, though the bed was so comfortable, i defy anyone not to have a good nights sleep in it!

We enjoyed a superb afternoon tea in Peacock Alley - the surroundings were just beautiful and the service was both elegant and informal. The quality of the food was excellent and it was a lovely relaxing way to begin our stay.

We had reservations for the Pompadour restaurant for the evening though had initially intended eating out of the hotel and had made our booking just in case we couldn't get in in elsewhere. However the snowy conditions forecast made the decision to eat in an easy one and I am so glad we did!! For some reason, this beautiful restaurant seems to flying under the radar of most of the sites or people i spoke to regarding fine dining in the city and I'm unsure why.

The food was divine - cooked to perfection with a modern take on classic gastronomy. The ambience was a little flat at first as the dining room was quiet but as it filled up, it was a lovely relaxed but elegant meal. The quality of the service equalled that of the food and we were genuinely impressed. I look forward to a future meal where i intend to enjoy the menu gourmand, it looked like a beautiful menu and the wine pairings seemed interesting too - we just couldn't have done it justice after such a delicious afternoon tea!

Breakfast was absolutely fine but we had rather a long wait for coffee and toast despite it not being particularly busy. This wasn't a particular problem for us as we were enjoying a leisurely breakfast but i know it was irritating other guests.

The hotel acknowledged my husband's big birthday with a subtle gesture at every opportunity which was much appreciated by both of us - he's not a fan of a fuss but enjoyed the little treats!

I would certainly recommend the hotel for a relaxing break and will be suggesting The Pompadour to anyone looking for a special dinner venue.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am extremely pleased to read of your glowing experience with us, and I am delighted that we were able to assist in making your husband's birthday such an enjoyable occasion. Indeed our Peacock Alley is a wonderful area, and I agree that the 'Pompadour' by Galvin is a magnificent choice of fine dining restaurant, both the quality of food and service.

Moreover, I also appreciate your feedback with regards to the breakfast quality, and Marco Pinto, our food & beverage manager has been informed of your remarks. I am sure that you will return to the 'Caley' again in the future should you have the opportunity.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We spent our 40th wedding anniversary weekend with all our family at the hotel. All of the rooms were well appointed and the bath robes were so good, we were given 2 as a gift from the family!

The public areas, especially the new 'Peacock Alley', are stylish and comfortable. The only downside was that our room was not double glazed and so we were aware of street noise in the early hours.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a quiet room preferably with double glazing
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to read that we were able to assist in making your 40th Wedding Anniversary such a memorable occasion!

Our luxurious bathrobes are certainly a talking point for a number of our guests, and you are extremely fortunate to have your family present you one as a gift. We look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Very nice stay in Edinburgh. Check in was quick and friendly, I received an upgrade to a deluxe room with as castle view and a voucher for a drink in the bar. The hotel has been renovated to a very high standard and the Peacock Alley bar is great for a drink before heading into town. The rooms are clean and have been refreshed to a good standard and the view over Edinburgh are beautiful. Will be back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank privateinfo222
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. You have obviously enjoyed your time in Edinburgh, and I am delighted that you chose to stay with us. Our Peacock Alley is certainly a very popular area for people to meet for a coffee, as well as enjoy our famous afternoon tea selection, and I appreciate your positive feedback.

Moreover, I also extremely pleased to hear that you will be back to visit us at the 'Caley' again in the future.

Beaconsfield, UK
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed here on 30th/31st December when going to the Hogmanay Street Party and overall we had a really enjoyable stay. Our three rooms were well equipped and comfortable, although I agree with some previous comments that the bathrooms were perhaps not as luxurious as the rest of the room and we too had issues with having to wait quite a while for hot water when using the showers. We didn't eat in the hotel at all but did have drinks in the bar where we found the staff to be really efficient and friendly, as were the staff elsewhere in the hotel. But I guess the best thing about the hotel is its location - perfect to be able to walk everywhere without the hassle of taxis etc, especially on New Year's Eve.

Just a couple of niggles with Reception - the newspaper we asked for didn't arrive and we found the final invoice a little confusing and we're still a little unsure as to what a couple of the items listed were but all in all a good stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted that you chose to spend the Hogmanay celebrations with us, and overall it would appear that you enjoyed your experience with us. As mentioned, we were experiencing some hot water issues, and I would like to take the opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Moreover, I do hope that you will return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Ayr
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed in deluxe twin room. £200 per night for two including breakfast but excluding parking which was £20 per day. Cannot book parking in advance- first cone first served although the hotel has an arrangement for overflow to use a nearby multi storey car park. Wi-fi access £15 per day. Excellent location on Princes Street and the view from our room, which was of the Castle, was magnificent. The room was a good size and well appointed with comfortable beds. There was no separate shower in the bathroom. Some of the furnishings were worn. The £4 bottle of water left out for our delectation (not) was covered in a layer of dust and this rather represented the overall experience in this hotel. Laid back rather than efficient business hotel. Breakfast was OK although not wonderful - self service buffet-but the room it was served in was shabby and truly dismal so I would not pay the £20 extra to breakfast there again . There was no porter at the door and the car park barriers and ticket machines were broken. I witnessed the distress this caused an elderly client with evident mobility problems as did the reception staff who did apologise for the state of affairs but it gave a very amateurish and odd impression. Perhaps management were enjoying a well earned break after the Christmas and New year break .

Room Tip: You are paying a premium for the view of the castle so make sure your room has this view and not one...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank crosslady
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Although you have found many positives with your experience, including the location and view from your room, I would like to apologise for the negatives mentioned.

With regards to the dust issue, I agree that this is completely unacceptable, and our Executive Housekeeper has been informed and shall act upon as a matter of urgency. I can assure you that this is certainly not the standard that we aim to provide for our guests and this will be treated extremely serious.

I am also disappointed to hear of the broken car park barrier ticket machine. Our Head Concierge, Karl Wendland has already actioned the issue, and a repair is imminent. However, I do apologise for the inconvenience already caused and I do hope that you choose to return to the 'Caley' again should you return to Edinburgh in the future.

Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I booked this hotel when it was still at Hilton, it has now been “upgraded” to part of Hiltons Waldorf Astoria collection of hotels. I was a guest when it was a hilton about 1.5 years ago and everything was fine as a Hilton Diamond I got the normal perks, free Internet, Free Breakfast, upgrade and a welcome gift. Now as the hotel stuck a new name on the door, raised the prices, and took away most of the VIP Diamond perks. It is a fact that they are following the Hilton Corp rules and only providing Diamonds with lame discounts or a free movie.. No more free Breakfast. The upgrade was weak, they wanted more money for anything, I was offered a “discount” on breakfast, not worht it at all. I told the front desk I booked the non-refundable reservation when the hotel was still in the Hilton brand and was expecting the perks I was told too bad. The hotel is nice but not worth the price! Hilton corp thinks the Waldorf brand is soo much more but I do not see it. I will not be back to this hotel or any Waldorf until they give better perks to loyal Hilton guest.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank dcl80
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Unfortunately however, you have obviously departed feeling somewhat unsatisfied with your overall experience, and as a valued Hilton Honors Diamond member, I am deeply disappointed by your comments that you may not return. As mentioned, we have recently undergone a multi-million pound renovation which has seen an overhaul throughout the hotel, including the wonderfully decorated Peacock Alley. Most of our feedback has been extremely positive since our transition to a Waldorf Astoria, however I do understand that some of the changes in benefits may not be to your satisfaction, and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Moreover, should you wish to provide us with more feedback directly as we certainly do not want to lose you as a customer, I would appreciate if you would contact Robin Stewart, our Director of Business Development as it is only through your feedback that we can improve on the service that we provide for our guests. Robin can be contact on 0131 2228890, or alternatively via e-mail to robin.stewart@waldorfastoria.com.