“WHAT A FANTASTIC CHRISTMAS AT THE WALDORF”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #50 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“WHAT A FANTASTIC CHRISTMAS AT THE WALDORF”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I would definitely recommend the Caledonian Waldorf Astoria
the staff are fantastic and go out of their way to help you and make your stay a memorable
one.The food on Christmas day was exceptional and was also great every other day.
The rooms and decor is outstanding.

JUST STAY HERE YOU'D BE A FOOL NOT TO

Room Tip: all the rooms are fantastic 275 is really quiet
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steven p
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read of your fantastic Christmas at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria, and I shall certainly pass on your remarks to all of the team members involved.

Furthermore, I do hope that you will choose to stay at the 'Caley' again in the future.

Chris Logan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The hotel is in a good position in the West End of Edinburgh. Our room did not have a view of the castle and overlooked some offices. I could see into the office and not sure if they could see in the room. The is only a curtain, so if it is open people can see in.

The room was a king room but was very small. Two of us couldn't walk about at the same time. The tv was also strangely placed in the corner which you couldn't see from one side of the bed.

Heating in the room was from air conditioning which was very noisy - no chance of sleeping if it was switched on. The floors also creaked whenever anyone walked past outside.

The bathroom was quite large but only had heating from a towel rail so was cold. The bath seemed a poor quality for a top notch hotel. Towels and bedding were of a great quality.

Service from staff was friendly. Did have an issue with the Internet not working and was resolved by giving another voucher.

Breakfast was ok.

For the rates they were charging I would expect a lot more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Colin10779
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Unfortunately however, you have obviously departed feeling somewhat unsatisfied with your overall experience, and I would like to apologise for the inconvenience which has been caused. With regards to the castle view rooms, these are allocated according to availability and in line with our business levels within the hotel. I can only apologise for the noise issue mentioned from the air-conditioning unit, and I will arrange for our maintenance team to investigate further as this is certainly not the standard that we aim to provide our guests.

Moreover, should you wish to provide us with more feedback directly, I would appreciate if you would contact Robin Stewart, our Director of Business Development as it is only through your feedback that we can improve on the service that we provide for our guests. Robin can be contact on 0131 2228890, or alternatively via e-mail to robin.stewart@waldorfastoria.com.

Spain
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Having booked on booking.com i received a phone call from the hotel confirming the booking and informing me that the spa was out of order, i told them that it was the reason i booked the hotel, they had an arrangement with another hotel and provided complimentary return taxi to the other spa. At night the street noise did travel up to our room, i guess it is a listed building and there is only so much they can do and they cannot change the windows, ear plugs worked for me. I think i would stay there again if the price was right but otherwise would probably look for something a bit closer to the main centre, i don't mind walking but it became a bit tedious. They let us keep the room until 4pm at no charge. It was for my birthday and I was happy with my choice.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank raniSpain
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Overall, it would appear that you enjoyed your overall experience with us, and since your stay, I am delighted to advise that our leisure club has been fully functional since November last year.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Have stayed here several years between Christmas and New Year and had been delighted each time. It was formerly known as the Caledonian Hilton Hotel. For us it had always had the edge / something special / something magical that's left us wanting more. Knowing it had been rebranded and had had a fortune spent on it we were excited to be returning, expecting something really special. For us the magic wasn't there. Yes you could see where the money had been spent and yes it looked lovely. It was the small things that were missing. The Christmas decorations in the foyer; on the staircase etc. The staff - many had changed and what can I say, we missed them. Exceptions being the Corciege guys and David (who served us breakfast). They gave the little bit extra that previously made it special. This probably sounds overcritical, afterall the majority of the rest of the staff were fine - but we felt we were paying for more than fine. Room service slow - required to phone down a second time before our order was delivered. Breakfast slow - had to sit out in Peacock Alley for quite a while before getting a table. Breakfast itself was fine. The rooms, fixtures, fittings, robes etc were all luxurious. The upgrade of the swimming pool area and changing rooms were much needed and in keeping with the hotel. Location excellent. Overall the hotel was luxurious but for us the magic was missing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kerrs
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us over the Christmas period. Although I am delighted that you chose to return to the 'Caley' yet again, I am disappointed to read that you were somewhat underwhelmed with your experience. I would like to ensure you that I have shared your comments with the relevant department heads, including Marco Pinto, our food & beverage manager, who will be pleased to receive your honest feedback.

As mentioned, we do have a few new team members since last year, however I am certain that they will be able to add the sparkle again when familiar faces are remembered such as yourself.

In the meantime, I do hope that you choose the 'Caley' again next year should you choose to return to Edinburgh, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you require any assistance.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The wife and I stayed here for 2 nights on a short break. Its got a great view of the castle. Inside the hotel is a bit dark in the corridors if you don't mind that then its ok. Our room also was kinda dark too. All in all it was good value.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank styli6726
Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you and your wife enjoyed your castle view experience with us. However, I would appreciate if you would contact me directly with the room number in which you stayed, and I will arrange for my maintenance team to have a look at the lighting issue mentioned.

I can be contacted on 0131 2228822, or alternatively via e-mail on chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com. Hopefully you will be able to return to the 'Caley' again in the near future.

Northumberland, England, UK
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We recently booked 9 rooms at this hotel.
I had a lot of requests before our stay and every single request was granted and dealt with in a professional and courteous manner.
We all arrived at 11.45 and knowing that check in is officially at 14:00 didn't expect many, if any of the rooms to be ready, however we were amazed that the staff had managed to ensure that every room was ready for us!
Check in was a breeze!
The room we received was lovely; very tastefully decorated with luxurious bed linens (something I personally find very important).
After checking in my husband and I decided to have a bite to eat in the 'Peacock Alley'. Some of our party had booked to have afternoon tea but we only wanted a lite bite so opted for other food from the menu. This is the only time we received bad service, however it really was 'bad'. First of all the waitress came back a total of 3 times to ask us to repeat our order - it wasn't difficult - a sandwich and a salad! Then, we waited almost an hour for the food to arrive which, for such simple food, was totally unacceptable. My husband complained, rightly so, and we were given a tiny slice of cake and 4 forks to share (we had been joined by another couple by then), it was more of an embarrassment than an apology!
That said, this was the only downside of our weekend here, and given the rest of the service we received we didn't feel it fair to deduct any stars for this, however, we wouldn't want to eat there again.
I don't see why people can find anything to complain about with regards to the breakfast! Every member of our party of 18 seemed to thoroughly enjoy it all. Nothing ran out as others have said and the food was most delicious and piping hot.
I feel I MUST single out one member of staff for special praise - this was Karl Wendland - the concierge. I had previously emailed him to sort some details out for us and everything was handled in the most efficient, courteous and professional manner, not only that, we were let down by a courier company who failed to deliver some gifts we wished to leave in the rooms for our other guests, and sadly they arrived after our stay, however Karl went out of his way to ensure they were sent back to us - at no extra cost. He also arranged taxis etc to get us all to the theatre, no mean feat on a busy Saturday night for 18 guests, all at once, but again this was handled with seemingly seamless effort. A HUGE THANK YOU KARL!
On the train home everyone commented on the lovely time they had enjoyed. I had to giggle that the thing that everyone was discussing, was the fantastic gowns in the rooms. None of us have ever had such sumptuous lovely gowns in an hotel room before and we wish they would sell them!
Overall we had a lovely stay and I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel and look forward to returning in the hopefully not too distant future!

Room Tip: Can get noisy at night if facing the pub next door on a lower floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Northumberland-lady
Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read that your entire party departed feeling satisfied with your overall experience with us, and I appreciate the constructive feedback received, both positive and negative. Moreover, I would like to ensure you that I have shared your comments with regards to the service received in our Peacock Alley with our Food & Beverage manager, Marco Pinto, who shall certainly action accordingly.

I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

falkirk
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Went here for an overnight stay with my mum and sister as we were going to see Dirty Dancing. The Hotel Rooms are out of this world. They are luxurious and have everything you could wish for. The staff are really helpful. Although in the City centre the hotel is quiet and has valet parking although I think it is expensive for them to charge £19.50 per night for guests staying in their hotel

Room Tip: All Rooms are great
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us, along with your mum and sister. I am delighted to hear that we were able to assist in making your Dirty Dancing experience such an enjoyable occasion, and hopefully you will all return to the 'Caley' again should you return to Edinburgh again in the future.