“Fantastic family friendly hotel”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #54 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Beautiful hotel in a great location. The staff were all fantastic, particularly regarding our 2 young children, it was great to stay in a luxurious hotel that was also so family friendly.

We were within a family party of 18 and nobody had a bad word to say about the hotel, simply could not fault it.

Room Tip: Beautiful scenery from the 'castle view' rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I must say that it was a pleasure looking after you and your family, and I am delighted to hear that the entire party was satisfied with their experience.

Hopefully you will all be able to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian

Reviewed December 19, 2012

First time visiting Edinburgh, from London. Great Location. Lovely view of the castle [from outside the hotel]. Great service from the front desk, quick and easy check in and out, friendly staff. The shared areas looked great.

However a standard queen room is so small there is only room for yourself, forget the ability to place any bags down anywhere. It is very small and claustrophobic, and no view means literally no view, not even a street, it means overlooking some pipes and a wall. I was shocked when i first entered the room as it was not what i would expect from a 5* hotel, maybe 4* or even less if you consider the view. It did not reflect the price you paid for the room, in fact makes you feel a little robbed. The room is also very noisy and you can hear everything and no doubt everyone can hear you.

I also had a little incident with room service who seemed quite rude and delivered an incorrect order and it wasn’t presented well- one of the orders was a pizza and they seemed to have ordered it from a delivery service and had just placed it on the side. However the staff at the front desk where very helpful with the issue and sorted everything out promptly.

Essentially nice hotel, but the rooms aren’t great. You could probably get the same room for half the price elsewhere. If you’re more concerned with the shared spaces, bars and restaurants this is a nice place to be. I must say that I was pleased with the front desk and staff’s general friendliness, especially the doormen.

I would give the room 0 stars for review purposes, and added the other 2 for general services.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere! chose a place with glowing reviews!
5  Thank Ria B

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Unfortunately however, your experience was not to the standard expected, and it is with regret to read that you had some issues throughout your stay. I would certainly like to state that this is by no means our usual standard of service, and we shall be looking into the relevant improvements required.

Furthermore, I do hope that this does not deter you from returning to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Newly renovated Waldorf Astoria is a great spot for a visit in Edinburgh. Booked a normal room and due to my status we were upgraded to a Junior Suite. Staff was very friendly and we felt comfortable throughout the stay. Breakfast good, kitchen was prepared to cook me eggs as requested (Eggs Benedict instead of the usual fried or scrambled eggs). We also had a dinner @ the Brasserie. Amazing service and quality of the food. We will definitely come back.

Room Tip: We had a 5th floor Junior Suite with Castle View.

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read your positive comments, especially with regards to your experiences in our food & beverage outlets. I shall certainly share your feedback with our food & beverage manager.

Moreover, I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

If your looking for a grand hotel city hotel with history and comfort then this hits the spot. The hotel has undergone a £24M refurbishment recently and you can see where the money has been spent. Lovely public areas including the bright and airy Peacock Alley for pre / after dinner drinks.

We stayed for 2 nights over the weekend and found the hotel to be warm, friendly and perfect to explore Edinburgh from. Fabulous view of the Princess Gardens and the Christmas Market all lit up in the evening and great sunrise lighting up the castle all from our super comfy bed.

We only ate breakfast in the hotel but both had lovely eggs benedict in the Brasserie.

On arrival the bell boy helped with our bags and gave us good tips for our stay including the Farmers Market on Caste Terrace on a Saturday morning. We found all the staff to be charming and friendly.

We'll be back next year for Christmas shopping no doubt!

Room Tip: Castle view rooms are a must
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am extremely appreciative of your wonderful remarks with regards to your overall experience with us!
By all accounts, I shall certainly share your comments with our entire team, and hopefully you are able to re-join us to partake in your Christmas shopping. We look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley'.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was our second stay at the Caley. Last year was during the refurbishments. Having returned this year we were pleased with how the place now looks. Peacock Alley and the Brasserie are lovely with a relaxing atmosphere. The breakfast is superb We enjoy sitting in the "Caley" whiskey bar for a nightcap. We had a Queen suite with castle view. Perfect, until you want to sleep. I would expect some outside noise from a city centre hotel but it feels as though you are sleeping on the pavement. The rooms(314) windows are not double glassed. Although three floors up, I could hear people speaking on the street below. This problem was solved with a visit to Boots for earplugs. However you shouldn't have to go to such lengths especially when the prices have gone up in the past 12 months.

Although we like the place the noise problem will stop us from returning.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debby C

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am however disappointed to read that you were somewhat disturbed by the noise from out with the hotel. I understand the frustration that this may cause, especially over the festive period when the crowds are larger than usual.
Moreover, I do hope that this experience does not deter you from returning to the 'Caley' again in the future. should you wish to return, please contact me directly and I shall ensure that we book a quit room at the back of the hotel for you.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I was checked in to "The Caley" by my PA when our usual corporate hotel (Tigerlily) was fully booked.I was blown away by the quality of the upgrade and renovation that has taken place, the lobby and bar/lounge area are simply stunning. My room (No.316) was very comfortable overlooking the Castle and up Princes Street. We ate in the brasserie restaurant and it was very, very good. All round excellent!
I was that impressed that I am returning with my wife on a "couples" night on the 29th December so I can say no more than that!

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the castle, simply stunning!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. To hear that you were "blown away" with our refurbishment is certainly a great compliment and I thank you for your kind remarks.

Moreover, I do hope that your recent experience with your wife was equally impressive, and hopefully you are able to maintain your relationship with the 'Caley' in the future.

Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

We have been staying at the Caley for the past 8 years! We were gutted when we heard it was changing to a Waldorf Astoria given bad experiences in USA of overpriced substandard rooms and well under 5 star service from arrogant staff that thought they were elite in some way. We were hopeful that the Caley would largely remain unchanged in terms of service and quality! How disappointed we were when we returned as HH Diamonds we don't get the same amenities and benefits as we did 6 months ago when the Caley was a Hilton! No breakfast - you get the impression they are above welcoming loyal Hilton customers now! The room was clean but tiny we got a suite upgrade last time! They left 4 small chicolates on a large plate for my birthday which was kind but when I took my mum to the Caley as a Hilton for her birthday it was a much more genorous and welcoming affair! We had coffee in the lounge and the latte was cold! The Caley is a shadow of its former self it is so sad. Alastair the concierge who has been so helpful to us in the past continues to provide a top class service! Location is perfect but unfortunately the increased rates and decreased service means this is sadly our last stay at the Caley!

• Stayed: December 2012
6  Thank Elizabeth7

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am deeply disappointed to read of your recent poor experience, especially as a valued Diamond HHonors member. I can assure you that by no means do we wish to forget about our loyal guests, and even although breakfast for our Diamond members is no longer included, we expect an even higher standard of service from our team. Unfortunately, with the exception of Alistair, your opinion does not match our expectations. However, I must state that this is certainly not the impression given by the majority of our guests.