We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights in early November as a special birthday treat. We had booked a Queen room, so werent expecting a castle view, but what we didnt expect was no view at all, apart from the room opposite us and some pipe works!
The room was lovely but very very dark, and genuinely if we'ed known what the view was going to be like no way would we have booked this hotel.
We immediately phoned reception to report we were not happy with the room and were assured someone would call us back. After half an hour and no responce we again called reception, who assured us someone would call us??!! Eventually we received a call from the duty manager who basically said all Queen rooms had internal views, they were full, but if we were prepared to pay an extra £40 a night we could be moved! some contradiction here i think. By this stage we had had enough and decided to bite the bullet, unpack and stay in the dark room.
Ok it didnt completely spoil our weekend, but i do think the hotel should make guests aware that they may possibly not get a view of any greenery, trees or even streets, and they make have to keep their curtains shut at all times as the guests opposite can see into your room!
That said the hotel is lovely but we certainly won't be returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, or the "Caley" as it has become affectionately known among Edinburgh folk, was and still is the epitome of style and excellence. The large, rose-coloured Permian sandstone facade, quarried in Dumfries, dominates the skyline of the city's west end. The hotel has not only remained a focal point for more than one hundred years, but a symbol of the very best of Scottish hospitality. The Caley's pivotal position at the very heart of Edinburgh has always been its greatest asset. Created out of the 19th century railway boom, the five star hotel is looking to the future with confidence and pride in its ability to keep pace with the times. The hotel's reputation is as justified now as it was when the hotel first opened its doors in 1903. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton International Edinburgh
- Hilton Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hilton
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian Scotland