“High end establishment”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #54 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed for one night in king room. Important parts such as shower and bed very good. Extras such as iPod docking alarm clock and espresso machine, to comfy dressing gown and decent shaving mirror, render the experience more or less complete. A minor irritant was the lighting, in that it wasn't as simple as turning the main switch off then turning bedside light on, for some reason the main switch prevented any other lighting on.

My room overlooked castle and princes st, so excellent view. Breakfast good and to expected standard for hotel.

Room Tip: Overlooking castle and at least floor 4 or above
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter R
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you were satisfied with your overall experience, however I shall certainly share your observations with regards to the 'master' light switch with the relevant departments within the hotel.

Moreover, we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

The hotel is perfectly situated and the room (Junior King Suite) was substantial and beautiful. The decore is fantastic and the front desk and door men friendly and helpful. My only complaints really is thus -

1. The fire alarm went off at 2:30 in the morning? I had heard it had went off the day before so there was obviously a fault. There was no information or even a sincere apology. I know these things are important but in the morning I wasn't even offered maybe a free breakfast or even a small amount off the bill (maybe even a wee bowl of fruit or some coffee supplied would have been great)

2. I had contacted the "back office" to ask for maybe some flowers to be provided etc (which I was prepared to pay for) the point is they knew is was a VERY SPECIAL occassion. Although we got a lovely room... our veiw was off nothing but brick (facing inwards). I would have thought at least they would have given us the same room type but with a good view... I never complained however... The Caledonian should have showed some initiative.

Apart from that I WILL come back, perhaps next time they'll really show us what a real 5 star hotel can do..... I only wrote this as I had a special occasion in a similar London Hotel last year and got treated like a King (in junior King Suite :)

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate your constructive feedback, and I would like to take the opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the unfortunate sounding of the fire alarm as mentioned. With regards to the view from your room, we do endeavour to offer our fantastic castle view rooms to our guests, however, with excess business levels, this is not always possible.

I am happy to hear that you were generally satisfied with your overall experience never-the-less, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' in the future.

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Amazing room think we had a family delux
Amazing service
Fabulous breakfast
Very nice spa, a funny way to get to it?
Lush bathrobes would love to buy one
Great coffee maker
Best hotel I've been in and I've been in a few 5 stars!!
Thanks can't wait to return in a couple of weeks hopefully

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am extremely appreciative of your wonderful comments, and I am happy to pass on your feedback to the relevant departments. With regards to the SPA facilities, due to the age of the building, the only way to access it is from the Entresol and First floors, otherwise there is also a main door from the car-park.

I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to the 'Caley' in the future.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Had a fantastic weekend away here. Staff very helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. Immaculate hotel reception and room. No noise from rooms or corridor. Breakfast was out of this world, staff very helpful here too.

2  Thank Kitcha3
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear guest.

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you chose the 'Caley' to stay in again, and I do hope that you are able to return in the future.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the hotel in a King Suite for two nights over a weekend. The room was superb, very well appointed, large with all the little extras covered. Whilst at the hotel we ate at both the Brasserie and the Pompadour - both were excellent and certainly up to the standard of the rest of the hotel. We also found time to enjoy whisky at the Caley Bar - I have never seen such a menu of whisky - too much choice !!!

Overall we had a great time in Edinburgh and the hotel, restaurants and bar helped enourmously towards this - would definetly stay again. The only area we did not try was the spa but I am sure this would have been to the same standard.

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate your kind remarks following the service received throughout, especially from our restaurant and bar staff. Furthermore, I do hope that you are able to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We recently visited Scotland and decided to 'splurge' for a nite at the Caledonian Waldorf Astoraia since it was our anniversary. The room was very nice and exceptionally large for Europe's standards. There was a very comfortable king bed. There were a couple 'skimpy' things such as the tiny old style TV but other than that it was worth the money.

We booked on Hotels.com before we left the US and the deal we got included breakfast the next morning.

The breakfast was very good with lots of options including Scottish options like blood sausage and haggis (neither did we try). But there were many high-end breakfast options such as salmon, eggs, bacon, sausage, variety of cheeses and juices.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a 'Castle View'.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that we were able to assist in making your Anniversary such an enjoyable experience, and I do hope that you choose to stay at the 'Caley' again should you return to Edinburgh.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Beautiful hotel, recently renovated. Deluxe kingsize bedroom really comfortable and beautifully decorated, big bathroom and dressing room. Good views over town, could see Firth of Forth from bedroom, from bathroom could see hills ask for 4th floor or higher. Staff lovely in all areas - but not enough staff in peacock alley for drinks on Saturday tea time. Breakfast expensive but very tasty.

Room Tip: 4th floor or above for city views
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate your constructive feedback, and I'm delighted to read that you were generally satisfied with your overall experience with us. I would however like to apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the droning noise mentioned, and this shall certainly be investigated further.

Moreover, I do hope that you will choose to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.