Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
  • Room Service
$726
$565
4,082 results
All reviewspeacock alleycaley bargalvin brasserieguerlain spacastle viewbeautiful hotelend of princes streetfive star hotelturn down servicenespresso machinean upgradebirthday treatbeautiful roomhaggisroyal mileconciergedoorman
Reviewed November 2, 2012

A mixed bag. The newly created public lounges and bars are very different combining the old and the new with a bit of a wow factor. Check in was good and helpful offering an upgrade as I am Honors club member. The room was disappointing . Incredibly noisy air conditioning which doubles as heating so I turned it off and the room was as a consequence cold within a couple of hours . The bathroom lacked a double sink , I don't think a shower over a bath is 5 star, and the bath itself was chipped, no bidet, and the window had no blind or curtain so that light came into the bedroom via the glazed bathroom door. The bedroom furniture was chipped , the furniture fabric was a towelling type material which seemed cheap and the full length curtains closed tight to a wall but that wasn't tight enough to stop the light. The bed was very comfortable with nice sheets etc . The Tv faced into the room not the bed and was on a table top stand. You could turn it through 90 degrees to face the bed but it was then wider than the furniture it sat on...not really a problem but hardly 5 star. It feels to me that they have only done a partial upgrade from Hilton to Waldorf .This was supported by a comment overheard from a member of staff complaining about "Hilton cost savings ".
Breakfast was poor. No clear explanation of what the system was, what could or could not be ordered a la carte. Minimal fruit on offer, adequate hot buffet, ( but can buffet scrambled egg ever be good scrambled egg ? ...and I think it's not unreasonable to expect eggs cooked to order rather than 15 or so fried eggs to choose from in a sea of oil.) I also don't want to be asked how I'm going to settle my bill for breakfast whilst I'm waiting for some glasses by the fruit juice station to arrive( they'd ran out ) and I've checked in 48 hours earlier and had already given my room number to that same person when being shown to a table.
Nit picking now but where 2 carpets come together in a very recently opened Waldorf Astoria( September ) you should have a carpet strip wide enough to cover the cut ends not a cheap aluminium strip which misses. ( First floor corridor near staircase if you're reading !) The problem is when you start to notice deficiencies you start to look for them .Sorry.
No, on reflection this isn't Walforf through and through ...just here and there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We booked a one night stay last saturday, it was our anniversary and I had emailed asking for an upgrade if possible ! On checking in we were upgraded to a castle view room, absolutely brilliant view of the castle, the room was spacious, bed very comfy, all in all the room was very luxurious, we even got an anniversary card from the hotel with two complimentary bottles of water and some chocolates ! Breakfast was lovely, buffet, staff friendly, fire alarm went off during breakfast, but these things happen ! The lounge area was outstanding, I know there has been alot of work done in this hotel recently. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone, we had an excellent stay.

Room Tip: castle view is a must !
1  Thank Elaine D
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that were able to assist in making your Anniversary such a special occasion.

Furthermore, I do hope that you will be able to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Kind regards,

Chris Logan

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed here Saturday (27/10/2012) for one night with my girlfreind.From being greeted at the hotel entrance by the doorman, to checking out with the recectionist we had a great stay.We were given a free upgrade,the room was excellent,the bed was very comfortable,the room on a whole was spotless with all the latest gizmos and gadgets.By far one of the best hotels we've stayed in in Edinburgh!Weel done to all the staff.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Had a lovely weekend staying in this hotel. The room was very well appointed and comfortable. Staff excellent throughout. Lovely lounge area for relaxing over a drink. The real issue, that so many others have commented on is the breakfast. The service can't cope - probably not enough staff - and the layout of the buffet is very cramped. Quality of food (breakfast only) is a little disappointing too. Hilton is known for its excellent breakfasts and in a hotel of this calibre one might have expected it to be of a higher quality but in fact it was less good. Would go back and next time would try evening dining as the menus looked very good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Overall it does appear that we more than met your expectations. With regards to your breakfast experience, I can assure you that this is an issue that our food & beverage manager has been made aware about, and the appropriate improvements shall be implemented.

Moreover, I do hope that you return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Kind regards,

Chris Logan

Reviewed October 31, 2012

WOW!!!!
I decided to take my wife here for her 40th Birthday as a surprise.The five star treatment started as soon as our taxi arrived at the door as we were met by a very pleasant doorman who helped us out of the car and took us into the hotel. The staff are so courteous,helpful and very friendly. We stayed in a Queen deluxe room which was so clean and had everything you would imagine for this type of hotel. The room was well laid out and the bed was the most comfortable I have ever stayed in. We did not have our main meals in the hotel as we wanted to see the delights of Edinburgh but the breakfast at the hotel was excellent and such a variety it kept us going for most of the day. We drank of a evening in the Caley bar which is also open to the public which was not a problem and it was a warm tranquil place to talk and drink.
The only downfall of this trip was room 501 being in the roof was quite chilly of a evening and as we left the heating on through the night it kept me awake as there was something in the heating vents making a noise. Also the day we were leaving we walked around the City in the rain and when we came back to collect our cases before our flight home I wanted to change my trousers as I was soaked. There was nowhere to go and was informed I would have to use the toilets, which I did, but felt this was really cheap especially as the toilets were quite smelly. I did not want to bring these two issues to the hotels attention as did not want the staff to feel I was being fussy or moaning.
I wrote this review whilst sitting in the relaxing Peacock Alley and have noticed quite a few hotel residence being shown the different areas of the hotel which i wish was done for us as it would make the stay much easier. Would like to say though that I would stay again.

Room Tip: Wish I had asked for castle view and maybe not level five as in roof and a bit chilly but if heating quiet would not be a issue.
1  Thank Mick D