“Dissapointing”

Ranked #70 of 394 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Home to Scotland’s outstanding national collection of modern and contemporary art, the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art comprises two buildings, Modern One and Modern Two.Set in beautiful parkland close to the Water of Leith you can explore sculpture by major artists such as Ian Hamilton Finlay, Henry Moore, Rachel Whiteread and Barbara Hepworth, and discover the dramatic lawn at the front of the building, designed by landscape architect, Charles Jencks.The collection at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art ranges from 1900s to the present day, including works by Matisse, Picasso, Vuillard and Dix, as well as a superb selection of paintings by Scottish artists such as Peploe, Fergusson, Gillies and Redpath. Also on display are postwar works by Bacon, Freud, Davie, Hockney and Leger and more recent pieces by Turner prize winning artists Richard Wright and Martin Creed, alongside Karla Black, Douglas Gordon and Tracey Emin to name a few.
Leeds, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Dissapointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

this exhibition was a little disappointing as we were expecting paintings and it was all a bit graphic and odd, but i think some people might like this kind of thing

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“I just don't get it.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

This really wasn't for me.

The point when I realised that I had lost the will to live was when I went into a room an it was covered in pencil drawings of male and female genitals - in the centre of the room was a paper bag of doughnuts sitting on a plinth.

I didn't find one exhibition that I felt like spending any time over. As far as I was concerned it was far too pretentious and genital obsessed.

Have only given 2 stars as it was free admission.

Cork, Ireland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“I didn't get it!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

From Death to Death and Other Small Tales left me cold. I try to approach modern art with an open heart and intellect but apart from a handful of exhibits I could not see any artistic merit in what I was looking at. I read the long-winded explanations but they did not help. I hurried back into town and visited the Portrait Gallery on Queen Street as an antidote.

The building is splendid and there was an interesting exhibition in the nearby Gallery Two (Dean Gallery). I had gone there first and was glad I did as my experience in Gallery One would probably have prevented me from bothering to even take a look.

Swindon, United Kingdom
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Confusing layout, exhibits not for me”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

It was a cold but sunny day so I decided to walk out to this gallery, despite not knowing where I was going! If you try this as well, beware that theres no signs or directions along the way! I ended up getting a bit lost in the Dean village area, which was cute and picturesque and a nice place to get lost! It turned out that the getting lost was the best part of the whole trip to the gallery.

There are two modern art galleries opposite each other, but it isn't clear what exhibits are hosted in which gallery. The signage in the galleries themself is also confusing Apparentley there is a Picasso somewhere in these two galleries, but I have no idea where! Half of the second gallery is taken up by a paid-for exhibition, you can only actually go around a couple of rooms for free, but at least they have proper pictures in them, and not just weird stuff like the first gallery. All the exhibits in the first gallery were just plain weird- piles of stuff on the floor, random sketches- not the type of art I enjoy. It ended up being a wasted visit as far as interesting art was concerned!

Visited March 2013
London
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“free but flawed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

A really strange collection…there are a handful of really powerful, absorbing and memorable pieces of art that are worthy of making the long walk from city centre (the free bus wasn’t working).Granted, neither of us is a great aesthete and I don’t expect to appreciate every piece that is displayed but whilst it may be labelled as a National Museum, (and the building certainly justifies the moniker), this is no Guggenheim, Tate or Reina Sofía.

Visited March 2013