“great view from up top”

and up
Private Edinburgh Sightseeing and History Tour
Ranked #32 of 394 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: A 200-foot spire dedicated to Sir Walter Scott, the famous Scottish poet.
Edinboro
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“great view from up top”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is a fabulous place to climb up and take in the sights below. The only problem I had was about three quarters up my fear of heights kicked in and I went back down. My husband made it to the top and took some photos for me.

The day was cloudy with a few rays of sun here and there. If you like old staircases like in an old castle this is the place for you. It is worth the climb and you will enjoy it.

Visited October 2013

57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 231 helpful votes
“Prince Gastronome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

I decided to scale the 287 steps up the Scott Monument.
This must be a UK thing with tourist attractions proudly mocking those out of shape. In London, St Paul’s Cathedral boasted its 528 steps which I conquered back in 2011. I remember the Wallace monument in Stirling advertising the same thing. One would then assume other places would boast such achievements. Could the Eiffel Tower just be a long flight of stairs with a piece of paper saying you made it—makes the fact it has an elevator feel like cheating (truth is, there are about 1700 steps but most are inaccessible to the public). 287 should be a breeze, so I dropped down my four quid and made my ascent. Atop, I was given a card congratulating about my ascent and recommending that I take the climb of the Nelson Monument clearly visible from atop Scott.
You certainly gain a lot of altitude. Edinburgh is like London in a lot of ways, very old and very flat. Most other cities are obsessed with reaching the clouds. They’re all fanatical about being the tallest, and they compete with others for the claims. Canada had the tallest free-standing structure for 37 years, demoted to a more specific title, tallest free-standing structure in North America. No stairs there. I don’t know if there is a law about elevation in Edinburgh like there was in London for centuries.
There certainly was one. Did you know, up until a few decades ago, nothing in London could be higher than St. Paul’s Cathedral. It would make sense that Edinburgh would have similar rules. But what would be the benchmark? I doubt it’s the Scott Monument or the Nelson Monument on nearby Calton Hill. It couldn’t be Edinburgh Castle or simply the rock it stands upon because considering how high up those are, no building in Scotland has come close. Maybe it’s just not a priority for people here. I have no issue with this. Atop the tallest level of the Scott Monument, I have an unobstructed view of the Firth of Forth. I remained up there for a few minutes, avoiding the numerous other tourists tackling the climb.
Later, I went to the Nelson Monument, mentioned on my Scott Monument achievement card. Upon entering this tower, I was handed a similar card boasting the steps of Nelson, 170. It must be a local joke to inflict on the tourists (“Ha-ha, they climbed it!”). I mean they didn’t do that in Hong Kong at the Big Buddha and that was 268 steps, big ones to. So yeah, I climbed it. I got my card which advertised and recommended climbing the 287 steps of the Scott Monument. OH GOD, I’VE BEEN CAUGHT IN AN INFINITE LOOP!

Wellington, New Zealand
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fantastic views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

This is such a cool attraction. The stairwell gets smaller and more compact the higher you get. There are different levels of balconies to view the city from, so you are able to climb as high as you feel comfortable. I climbed to the top balcony, which could only fit about 5 people, but had incredible views over Edinburgh.

Visited September 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Best view in the city.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

My friend and I were visiting the Christmas attractions in Princes St. We had thought about going on the big wheel but as we were passing the monument we realised that we would have a better view from the top of the monument than on the wheel. Also we could stay at the top as long as we wanted. The view is stunning and gives a great view of the castle. Well worth the climb (287 steps). Only £4 admission with a little museum on the first landing.

Banffshire
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“What a view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is a really impressive Gothic monument with amazing views from the top! My 7 year old twins counted all of the 260 odd steps, tho' my daughter did find some of the windows un-nerving on the way up (although perfectly safe, anyone with a fear of heights may not like the low windows!). Steps are narrow, making passing people quite a challenge, but it adds to the fun! Gives a fabulous view of the castle and the beautiful city below.