“Cute story”

$20.26*
City Sightseeing Edinburgh Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #43 of 418 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: This memorial commemorates the loyal pooch who spent 14 years by his master's grave.
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Saw this on a walking tour with my hostel...She said it's the most photographed statue in Scotland or something...not sure if I believe that but the story is pretty cool. The graveyard is a cool place to visit too.

1  Thank Megan B

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The statue is cute but the real treat is the churchyard just beyond where the little dog is buried. People have left sticks on his grave and it is so lovely, especially as a dog owner. Definitely recommended and it's free!

1  Thank SiriusScruffy
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

wish I d hsd more time to see the whole site the grave stones looked amazing saw tbis as part of a ghost walk which was useless I d have been better off staying in the cemetery and checking out the tombs . it ll be part of my tour next time I go !

Reviewed June 27, 2013

You need to visit Greyfriars Bobby along with the graveyard and kirk nearby. It is down from the Royal Mile but very close. The statue is small but beautifully made. You then walk around the graveyard where you see Bobby's and John Gray's graves, as well as others connected to the story of Bobby. The cemetery has a really interesting history, being the burial place of thousands but with relatively few marked by a grave stone. You can find there the Covenanters' prison, a not very proud part of Scotland's history from the C17th and a sad legacy of the brutal legacy of Hanging judge Mackenzie (does not make me proud of this fellow clansman). You can only visit the prison and the Black Mausoleum as part of a tour (I did the ghost tour on a previous visit to Edinburgh - great fun). You can see Herriot's Hospital where JK Rowling got her ideas for Hogwarts. It's also just plain interesting to walk around the cemetery and read the head stones.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

When in Edinburgh I remembered the story we learned at school for English class about Grefriars Bobby - I liked it so much that I named my toy dog Bobby in its honour. I was very excited when I realised the story took place in Edinburgh and saw the statue of Bobby. So if you like the story don't miss it out.

1  Thank Olga P