“bobbys memorial” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Private Edinburgh Sightseeing and History Tour
Ranked #42 of 391 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: This memorial commemorates the loyal pooch who spent 14 years by his master's grave.
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“bobbys memorial”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

wish I d hsd more time to see the whole site the grave stones looked amazing saw tbis as part of a ghost walk which was useless I d have been better off staying in the cemetery and checking out the tombs . it ll be part of my tour next time I go !

• Czech first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, New Zealand
150 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“A well known story but maybe not quite as Disney told it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

You need to visit Greyfriars Bobby along with the graveyard and kirk nearby. It is down from the Royal Mile but very close. The statue is small but beautifully made. You then walk around the graveyard where you see Bobby's and John Gray's graves, as well as others connected to the story of Bobby. The cemetery has a really interesting history, being the burial place of thousands but with relatively few marked by a grave stone. You can find there the Covenanters' prison, a not very proud part of Scotland's history from the C17th and a sad legacy of the brutal legacy of Hanging judge Mackenzie (does not make me proud of this fellow clansman). You can only visit the prison and the Black Mausoleum as part of a tour (I did the ghost tour on a previous visit to Edinburgh - great fun). You can see Herriot's Hospital where JK Rowling got her ideas for Hogwarts. It's also just plain interesting to walk around the cemetery and read the head stones.

Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Childhood favourite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

When in Edinburgh I remembered the story we learned at school for English class about Grefriars Bobby - I liked it so much that I named my toy dog Bobby in its honour. I was very excited when I realised the story took place in Edinburgh and saw the statue of Bobby. So if you like the story don't miss it out.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Olga P
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
330 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 340 helpful votes
“Nice story of a loyal Dog”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I give it 4 out of 5 because the story makes me go aw! It only takes a quick 5-10mins to read the memorial and visit the grave but still worth it to read the story.

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

This was my number 1 thing to do on my list for my trip and yes I'm a bit sad as my bf told me repeatedly as I reverted to a 5 yr old lol loved the Disney film then so definitely had to see Bobby and then pop in the kirk yard and see his and his masters graves.