Open today: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM

from $20.39
from $29.31
from $17.84
6,133 results
All reviews stained glass royal mile take photos john knox photo permit high kirk pipe organ light a candle lovely church old church worth a visit free entry gift shop lots of history donation architecture choir
Selected filters
Reviewed February 14, 2019

Maybe I've seen too many amazing churches and cathedrals around the world. This was beautiful, but in comparison, just another cathedral. On arrival there was a table set up with 2 friendly ladies standing. Although the £5 admission is a 'donation', it did feel like you need to pay to enter. They also impose a £2 photo pass! I realise they need to maintain such buildings, but within the catheral there was very little information about what I was seeing. I did see one stained glass window with an information guide underneath (see pic), but that was the only information.

I walked around blindly with no context of what I was seeing. On leaving, I realised there was a paper guide for £1 which I'd missed! I'd prefer an audioguide and would happily pay for that. There was a huge organ, a very ornate pulpit and multiple beautiful stained glass windows and ceiling decorations. There were many flags hanging, some of which were merely threads and obvioulsy very old. Again, I found no information on their significane, or their age. Unfortunately the volunteers didn't know either.

Its rather cold inside, so take a coat/cardigan. I walked around fairly slowly, and it only took me 15mins. Apparently there are tours available including roof top tours. For me it wasn't a must-see in Edinburgh, but if you like cathedrals or have spare time on The Royal Mile, its worth a look.

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed February 14, 2019

Well worth a visit. Wonderful stained glass to see, lovely cathedral. Donation only to enter. Nice friendly and welcoming people. Peaceful place to think and pray.

Date of experience: February 2019
Reviewed February 13, 2019

Beautiful architecture, lovely stained glass windows, etc. Dress warm being it is a tad drafty. Worth the visit

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed February 12, 2019

I quite enjoyed the beautiful architecture. When we were visiting there was a young choir group singing and their beautiful sounds filled the air.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed February 10, 2019

This was my 3rd trip to Scotland and I was determined to see the inside of St Giles'. I was NOT disappointed. Absolutely gorgeous!

Date of experience: January 2019