“Wonderful!”
Review of Writers' Museum

Writers' Museum
Ranked #66 of 399 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: The Writers' Museum in the 17th century Lady Stair's House, is dedicated to the lives and work of Scotland's great literary figures, particularly Robert Burns, Sir Walter Scott and Robert Louis Stevenson. The rich collection of manuscripts, first editions and portraits is complemented by a series of personal exhibits that include Burns' writing desk and the Ballantyne Press on which Scott's Waverley novels were originally published.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Had a great experience in the RL Stevenson exhibit. The docent was so knowledgeable and kind! I learned more about Stevenson from him than the things written on the walls and plaques that go with displayed items. He took me around the exhibit and explained things to me, then left me to my own devices and answered questions I had afterward.

Visited October 2012

• Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
113 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 143 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

A museum heavily reliant on volunteers, here is where you can soak up the literary history of Edinburgh. Lots of different artifacts and interesting details about the writers' lives and very knowledgeable and kind staff.

Visited September 2012
Seremban, Malaysia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“It was worth it!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

It was the reason I came all the way to Edinburgh. It was quite hidden, but since I did some research before coming here, I managed to find it and it was not totally hidden. After all, a gem is always hidden. It you are a great fan of Robert Louis Stevenson, Robert Burns and Sir Walter Scott, then this is the place for you. I wish this place would house other Scottish Writers but then again, they probably have their own reason for that. Lady Stair's Close is quite near to Edinburgh Castle so if you happen to walk on the Royal Mile all the way up the castle, the Writers Museum is conveniently on your right. The stairs is spiral, thus steep. Mind your step!

Visited December 2011
108 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Daughter's pick”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Our 12 year old surprised us with this being on her list of wishes to see/do while we were in Edinburgh. She's isn't at all a reader, so it was even more surprising. We did enjoy the visit, but it would probably be more interesting to fans of these three authors. We spent about 45 minutes there and it was time well spent.

Visited October 2012
UK
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“a hidden gem for book lovers”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This has reminded me I really ought to re-visit this treasure trove of good literature. Edinburgh has produced so much.