“History lesson.”

Ranked #7 of 395 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Edinburgh Castle is a world famous icon of Scotland and part of the Old and New Towns of Edinburgh’s World Heritage Site. It was recently voted top UK Heritage Attraction in the British Travel Awards and is Scotland’s number one paid-for tourist attraction. This most famous of Scottish castles has a complex building history. The oldest part, St Margaret's Chapel, dates from the 12th century; the Great Hall was erected by James IV around 1510; the Half Moon Battery by the Regent Morton in the late 16th century; and the Scottish National War Memorial after the First World War. The castle houses the Honours (Crown Jewels) of Scotland, the Stone of Destiny, the famous 15th century gun Mons Meg, the One O' Clock Gun and the National War Museum of Scotland.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

I really enjoyed my visit to the Edinburgh Castle. Entry is about £16. The castle is so old and beautiful. Tour guides give a short half hour walking tour with some great historic information for those history buffs before allowing you to walk around and explore the different areas for yourself. There's some great views of Edinburgh from the top of the castle too.

Write a ReviewReviews (44,082)
All reviews
"o'clock gun"
in 1,167 reviews
"the scottish crown jewels"
in 1,049 reviews
in 1,313 reviews
"destiny"
in 531 reviews

Reviewed December 8, 2014

I'm quite prepared to accept that I may have been in a particularly unperceptive mood that day or that my judgement was impaired in some way. Having seen the reviews before and after, I feel that it must be the only logical explanation as most others seem to have enjoyed the castle.

Unfortunately I found it to be quite bland and I didn't feel there was much to see for the price you pay. Princess Anne happened to be there on the same day so that was a bit of a bonus I guess but I still didn't really enjoy it.

I intend to go back to Edinburgh but I doubt I'd ever return to Edinburgh Castle.

Reviewed December 7, 2014

Visited on a hot day in June. We had great views across the city to the sea and mountains in the distance. We paid extra for the audio guide which helped us get more from the visit. It is a very popular attraction. The place can be packed with many tourists so be prepared to have to follow everyone else through narrow passages etc.

Reviewed December 7, 2014 via mobile

We went on the 28th nov and looked around the outside. I must say I was disappointed looking at it from princes street and thought it looked just like a block of flats. However once we had walked up to it I saw how beautiful it was.
We went back on st andrews day as it was free entry. The only problem was it was so crowded even at 10am on a sunday! We waited 40ish minutes to see the crown jewels. We would go back to see the rest. Well worth a visit.