“Edinburgh Trip”

Ranked #75 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Edinburgh Trip”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Yesterday we returned from our first trip to Edinburgh and out first stay in a Travelodge. It was easily found within walking distance of Waverley Railway Station (even with a wheelchair and suitcase) although the frontage did not look anything like the picture on the website. Check in was quick and we were able to access our room straight away. Reception said they would book a taxi for later that evening to take us up to Edinburgh Castle for the Tattoo. In the event they made a double booking and two turned up!
The room was clean and tidy and everything worked but one of the plug sockets on the wall looked a little unsafe.
Our accessible room was quite spacious. I had read from other reviews that there wasn't a hairdryer in the room and had taken my own and also saw someone asking for an iron at reception. The only criticisms I have of the room was the soap dispenser in the bathroom which contained a foamy soap/shampoo which I personally don't like and again I had taken my own soap, the only other problem was having no shelf or drawer to put underwear or tee shirts on and no bedside table. All in all we enjoyed our stay at the Travelodge and would consider staying there again, although I found this stay a bit pricey but probably to be expected during the Edinburgh Tattoo and Fringe.

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Halifax
Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

We booked here for the location, we did look at the reviews prior so half knew what we were getting into. We had 2 nights here.

The room was basic. No alarm clock, no facecloths, no closets. The shower was odd to get on (2 taps you need to turn opposite ways), the shower was incredibly slippery and there was nothing to put shower supplies on in the bathroom. I had to leave my razor, soaps, etc in the bathroom sink and reach out as I needed them.

The service was poor. I don't know if I saw a smile out of anyone the entire time we were there.

And the internet was spotty at best. Both nights we paid for the 24hr wifi. The first night it was spotty and only allowed one device to be hooked up to wifi. The second night we paid for a late check out as well, and in the evening the wifi worked well, again on one device only, but in the morning it wasn't working at all. We mentioned it to reception and he said he would call IT. However, from the early morning to late check out it did not work, nor was I offered my money back for paying for the wifi that did not exist. Instead it was suggested I go to the cafe. Where I would have to spend more money to use their wifi as it's for customers only, although I just paid for it here. Needless to say I wasn't impressed.

There were a few good things about this hotel - excellent location, very close to everything. And the beds were comfy.

However, we would not stay here again. It was overpriced for what it was (we paid the same for a beautiful hotel with better service and wifi) and especially with having me pay for the wifi that doesn't work.

Wasn't impressed. There are many other places to stay in Edinburgh and I would suggest those.

• Stayed August 2014
Coventry
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I was impressed with the cleanliness and comfort of this centrally situated hotel. Prices were higher than is normal for Travelodge but it was the Festival and you must expect this in August. Staff were professional and helpful.

Lancaster
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel on a visit for the Tattoo on a Saturday night and we did so 11 days prior to the day and was surprised by the £158 per night cost but that was all the choice we had, check in was smooth as we had learned from experience and NOT arrived prior to 3pm so no £10 early check in needed to be paid, but even though the location is nigh on perfect, being at the end of Princes Street, 2 mins from Waverley Station and the shops and sights just as close the cost soon became a monkey on my back and this is why.

The hotel is supposed to of been recently refurbished (as stated on the website) and the appearance is good on arrival but the creaking of floorboards in the room (107) was a joke and by the sound when the room above came in, they had the same issue, so refurbished! I think not and breakfast was a the total joke, £4.95 for a small OJ, muffin, fruit bar and cereal that would not feed a mouse, so c'mon Travelodge, if we pay for breakfast, provide at least a value for money option, you can sell porridge for £1.95 so at least put this in the box.

Also if your do have this breakfast option then the room should of at least have 2 chairs to be able to let you have breakfast in comfort rather than person 1 at the desk and the other sat on the bed, it was that poor that we then went out to eat breakfast.

This Travelodge was nowhere near the quality that the Leeds site has to offer and I will not stay at this one again.

My opinion is, check out the options before booking and as is it stated in other reviews you can get a room for a 3rd of what I paid, look at the Apex next door as this is a better option.

Stayed August 2014
Carrollton, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Great location, perfect for visiting Edinburgh and the Fringe -Good price. VERY basic no closets, no draws and very small bath room with shower only - However you get what you pay for. Staff very friendly, close to all attractions, felt very safe perfect for the Tram I would stay again based on the price. Our room overlooked the main street and the AC for the room is called open your windows ( very common in Europe so expect this ) So vey noisy at night with the street traffic, however the Fringe festival was in full swing and the fringe is awesome

2 Thank dlowry001
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Great location but we received poor service with small room. Told no rooms ready but then allowed to book-in once we paid a surcharge. Had to request towels and wifi connection, that we paid extra for, would not work even when set up correctly.

2 Thank Lynn H
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the Travelodge on Waterloo place due to the price and easy access to the city and the Royal Mile. The staff were very friendly on checking arrived early than the 3pm check in and was told I could pay another £10 to check in early. Said no chance! But they did let me leave my bag with them so I could look around the city and come back later for check in. The room was standard cheap and cheerful what you would expect from a Travelodge set up but was clean and tidy. Only negative was it was very warm no air conditioning if you open the windows you are opening the up to the busy high street so be warned. Other than that pleasant stay great for the tattoo and the fringe festivities.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo