“'Crying cake' deserves 5 stars alone”
Review of Indaba

Indaba
Ranked #25 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: West End
Description: An unpretentious Tapas restaurant serving Tapas From Spain and South Africa. Yes, this is casual dining. Regret no under 5's. No Groups larger than 8.
Winchester, United Kingdom
“'Crying cake' deserves 5 stars alone”
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

I cannot recommend this place enough. The food was delicious, and there's so much choice and variation. We shared 6 tapas between 2 which was the perfect amount. You also get a lovely bowl of breads and oil free of charge. Service was very friendly and attentive. We received our choices two or three dishes at a time which we found suited us. Our particular favourites were the haloumi salad and continental cold meats with manchego cheese. You must leave space for the famous 'crying cake' though, quite literally the best desert we've ever had! It's a chocolate sponge with chocolate sauce oozing out of the middle. Oh my days. It was so good, we're still going on about it days later!! My only criticism is the toilets could do with a renovation but apart from that we would recommend this place to all!

1 Thank Winchesterwaitress

• Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“average”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

After reading all these wonderful reviews in TA I couldn't wait to visit this restaurant. I've been both to Venezuela and Spain, so, I expected Indaba to bring back some good memories. But it didn't. The food was very average and I wonder why it has such terrific reviews! Arepa was OKish but unreasonably pricy. I tried one of the specials of the day - african skewers - which unfortunately was bit blant and the chickpeas which were ok. For my taste, the food was very average and I will probably not return back.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank gkullis
Charlton K, Owner at Indaba, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write your average review.
We, like every other restaurant get a mix of reviews because: everyone will have differing opinions about places, just as I totally disagree with a number of your reviews both the good and the bad.
Most people like us, you don't. Shame.
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Delicious Food”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Indaba is quite basic inside but the food more than makes up for lack of furnishings in the restaurant. It truly is finger licking delicious.

The only downside is that the dishes came out one at a time - I ate there with a colleague and we would have preferred to have 2 or 3 dishes brought out at one time. One of the dishes we'd ordered at the start was garlic mushrooms - they were very tasty but we had to eat them without anything else. The same thing happened with the potato tapas dish. We found this very odd.

Clearly everything is made fresh but I thought they should manage more than one small tapas dish on the table at any given time.

Hope they take this on board as the food is truly top notch and as tasty as you'll find anywhere. Served by lovely, friendly staff.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Audrey I
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“So delicious”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I first visited this restaurant when it had recently opened 3 years ago. I was so excited to go back, but make sure you make a reservation!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank EmmaCanuck
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and service”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

First visit to Indaba & will definitely go back again. Food was so tasty and lots of choice for both meat eaters and veggies. Service couldn't be faulted, staff were very friendly and attentive to the right level - not in your face but there when you needed them. Lovely restaurant & would highly recommend!

• Visited February 2014