“Awful is being polite!!”
Review of cuthberts - CLOSED

cuthberts
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: Newly open coffee and sandwich bar serving fabulous coffee,lunches and traditional afternoon teas.Mixed urban clientele in the centre of the financial district of Edinburgh
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I took our 3.5yr old and 7mth old for sunday brunch here before going on a canal boat trip across the road - we arrived at 11.40am as our boat trip was at 1 and thought this would give us plenty of time to eat as the place was half empty. We'd never heard of the place and as next door was heaving we thought we'd get served more quickly. I now realise, there was probably a reason it was quiet and next door was busy...

When we arrived, I checked whether they had a highchair available so that I could feed our baby, and was told that wouldn't be a problem. We unpacked the children got out of our jackets and got settled at the table - and finally 10minutes later, someone came over to bring us menus - no idea why it took so long, as staff just seemed to be standing around behind bar or cleaning tables - you would have thought dealing with customers would have been a priority. I asked again for a highchair and was told they didn't have one, so I had to put my baby back in her buggy to try to feed her, which was not at all ideal and we wouldn't have stayed if I'd known there was no high chair available...

There was a pile of colouring in books for children which I thought was a nice touch, but I couldn't see any crayons, so I asked for some and the woman brought him a tub with pens in it, including several biros and 3 permanent markers!??!?!? couldn't believe it - not only toxic to children, but why on earth would you give permanent markers to a child to draw with!!

We were given a breakfast menu, but no lunch menu which we had to ask for and we were never offered a childrens menu, which apparently they have?? Finally 25minutes after sitting at our table our order was taken, and we ordered a breakfast, eggs benedict with smoked salmon and french toast with banana for our son(as we hadn't been offered the kids menu), we ordered 1 coffee, 1 diet coke and 1 glass of milk.

Another 10minutes later our drinks arrived....

Now by the time we had ordered our food, there were only 4 other tables occupied, 2 of which were already eating. The table behind us had already complained about their food, which worried us slightly and they didn't seem happy at all... So we waited, and waited, and waited.....

We asked 3 times when our food was going to come and on the 2nd time, we were told it was just coming - I could see a plate of what looked like my eggs benedict just sitting on the kitchen worktop, 5 mins later it was still sitting there and I caught a member of staff who was going past and explained that we had now been there for over an hour, and still didn't have our food and that we needed to leave in 10mins and were considering leaving without having our food, as we wouldn't have time to eat it.

Another 3minutes passed and finally our food came out. The eggs which I had seen lying on the worktop for nearly 10minutes were indeed mine and as a result were cold!! I called over a waitress and explained my eggs were freezing cold - she apologised and took them away and returned 2mins later with the same plate of food which had been put in the microwave?!?!?! My smoked salmon was now cooked through, the hollandaise sauce had turned to spongy looking scrambled egg and my poached eggs were hard in the middle. I couldn't believe it!! I called the waitress over and said it had been microwaved and ruined and she apologised again and said could she get me something else. As we only had 5mins to finish the food pay and leave, I explained I didn't have the time. So as my husband and little boy finished their food, I asked for the bill and got ready to leave.

I previously worked in hospitality for years as a waitress and single handedly managed to serve more tables than there were in that afternoon with 3 waiting staff looking after them. The staff were not at all attentive and were not particularly welcoming, I don't think one smiled once at us. We should have been brought menus and asked what drinks we wanted as soon as we arrived, rather than just left to sit around clock watching, especially as the room was absolutely roasting with the sun streaming in the windows and no blinds to shield your eyes from it, so a drink earlier would have been greatly appreciated.

The chef needs to be sacked immediately!! Who in their right mind leaves food lying around getting cold and then microwaves it when it's sent back!!!! Especially eggs benedict with smoked salmon.... Absolutely shocking.

It completely ruined our lunch, and there was no time for me to get something to eat before going on our boat trip, so I was absolutely starving, and ended up getting the first thing to eat all day at 3pm from the Tesco across the road!!! Should have just got a sandwich from there in the first place!!

Whoever owns this place, needs to have a serious look at who they employ and get some staff training or replacement underway, it's such as shame as it's a great location and a lovely looking place with a comfy feel - they are really letting themselves down.

We definitely won't risk a return visit.

2  Thank kg5480
There are newer reviews for cuthberts

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I thought I'd give Cuthbert's a go, having frequented Ludon's next door. I have to say I was bitterly disappointed. The service was slow to the point that I had to pester the waitress to come over to take my order. She busied herself wiping clean tables whilst my girlfriend and I sat there like muppets. When the food finally did arrive, it was very poor. The sandwiches were dry and the cakes were all icing and not a lot else. The coffee was OK I suppose, but I've had a better cup of Nescafe instant. As for value for money, well, there isn't any. It's priced well out of its league and embarrassingly fails to deliver. I'll stick to next door in future!

2  Thank Michael W
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We had a great family brunch at Cuthberts. Our large group included 5-month old twins. Everyone had a great time, babies too.
It was relaxed and we were not rushed (although the service was always efficient and ready to respond). We just enjoyed chatting (and sipping and nibbling) and about two hours slipped by almost without notice.
Most of our group had the traditional breakfast, which comes in three sizes according to appetite. All the usual items are available: egg, sausage, back bacon, black pudding, mushrooms, baked beans and toast -- everyone enjoyed their servings (of various sizes).
For a Sunday, the dining area was not overly rushed or crowded, although there was a constant stream of customers.
It seemed like a great place to relax over a caffè latte or two while reading the morning papers.
There is an outdoor area. But on that day Edinburgh was a wee bit chilly, so no one seemed willing to sit out.
When we return to Edinburgh, Cuthberts will be on our list for brunch, or for a nice coffee, or maybe for their afternoon tea.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

This was me and my girlfriends second visit here. previous one was just for coffee and even that was poor. cafietire for 2 that didnt fill 2 cups and when asked for a top up were told it would be charged as a refill.

Any ways had just been to see a mid morning show at the traverse and fancied a late breakfast. having popped in to Loudens next door and not had much taking our fancy we heading in to cuthberts after seeing there olympic breakfast deal on their outside board. $20 or $5 if you finish it. Had something more dainty in mind but thought what the hell. First bad sign was the chef returning with an ominously large purchase from the tesco express across the road. when the breakfasts came we were greeted with a monstrosity. (4 rashers of bacon, 4 bits of black pudding, 4 bits of haggis, 4 eggs, 4 sausages, beans, toast and mushroom). The size was not an issue just the sheer terrible quality of the products and the general lack of basic cooking that was applied to them. rubbery bacon, mushrooms that were not cooked and by the amout of water on the plate were boiled, warmed tattie scones with no sign of oil or butter being used to fr them. sausages that had the taste and consistancy of sawdust, gristly black pudding and overcooked eggs. at least the chef seemed to be able to microwave beans. I dont know why this gimic was put on as it must destroy what ever reputation this place was trying to build. to top this off we have no attention from the serving staff and repeatedly had to go to the counter to ask for salt, pepper, and water refills.

was put off by my first visit and this shocker of a second visit ensure will certainly never return

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Cuthberts used to be one of my favourite places to go for lunch as I work nearby. When it had first opened I used to go there at least once a week. Food was delicious, lots of different choices in the menu and very friendly stuff; good portions and good value for money too.
At some point the place must have changed owners and nothing is quite as nice ever since. Menu choices are limited, stuff is not very helpful and the food is so much worse and quite pricey.
Today it is the last time I am ever going to visit this place. I went with some friends and I ordered a club sandwich, and what I got was 3 slices of bread (not toasted) , cut in half, hardly any fillings and the side was two salad leaves and two walnuts... I paid £7.25 for bread basically...I was so embarrassed as I suggested the place to my friends as a 'great' place to have lunch.
Loudons next door is so much better.

1  Thank PL_83