“Unique and quirky much better than any boring Hotel!”

The Four Sisters Boatel
Ranked #111 of 217 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed a fantastic stay at the Four Sisters Boatel over two nights. Skipper Cam was very warm and friendly ehen we arrived an hour early and gave us a guided tour of the boat and explained heater for the shower etc.

The boatel is extremely well equipped with flat screen televisions and all mod cons. A very nice touch was the CD and DVD library which caters for all music/film tastes.

The beds are extremely comfortable and it wasn't long before we drifted into a great sleep. Although there is a pub/club nearby we had no issues as the music stopped at midnight.

After we seen the queen (madonna) we returned to our cabins very contented with our stay. We will return soon!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Glasgowclass
skippercam, Owner at The Four Sisters Boatel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Ahoy boys,
thank you so much for your kind comments and I am so glad you had such a nice time on board The Fur Sisters Boatel. I did hear that the Madona concert was not what was expected and I hope this didn't marr your trip but I suppose as avid fans................ I really appreceate you takeing the time to put a review on line and hope to see you and your friends again in the near future. Thank you for leaving The Four Sisters ship shape :) and we didn't have to ask you to walk the plank:)
Skipper Cam

Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and loved it. The shower is small and the bedrooms are snug... but that's part of the fun with living on a barge. Staying in this location gave us a great sense of fun, but also we could pop round to the shops, catch a taxi (or 10 - 15 minute walk) to the centre and then come back to it as a base. The kitchen is fully functional, the lounge comfortable and the bedrooms cosy. The whole barge is beautifully kept and it is a fun area. We were woken once at 3am by some people having fun on the edge of the canal, but they were soon gone and then it was quiet again, and the second night was quiet too.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
skippercam, Owner at The Four Sisters Boatel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Ahoy Sally & Shipmates,
thank you for taking the time to write such nice things about your stay and the photos look fab! I know space is tight in the shower and we do hope to change it to a wet room after the season to make life aboard a little more comfortable. Most of our taller guests use the British Waterways new fabulous big wet rooms ( spotless & warm ) on site and the kids seem to prefer them as they can use their own hair products & not my eco-friendly alternative that must be used on board The Four Sisters.
I look forward to your next visit & thanks for leaving The Four Sisters shipshape:)
Skipper Cam

Reviewed June 12, 2012

this is possible the worst place in edinburgh to live, i would be better of in a doorwy. the Staff where rude and failled to meet y needs, if anyone is cinsidring living here for a shorth stay i would strongly recommend that you seek refused somewhere else. waste of money and ruined my entire stay.

if your looking for bad service, bad value , lack off sleep and to be sleeping in filth then this is the place for you,

Room Tip: Go Anywhere but here !!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Louise N
skippercam, Owner at The Four Sisters Boatel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2012

What a shame that money turns people like this.
I explained to this person after their first night that I had made a mistake
and had made their reservation for two nights instead of the requested three
nights and apologised profusely. (Fortunately the third night was still free.) I asked them if the still wanted to stay the third night and they did. I offered them a substantial discount on any future stay on board by way of a further apology. When they disembarked they said they had had a fantastic time. This problem has only arisen because I charged them for their third night. I received a horribly abusive telephone call to say that if I didn't refund them the third night
they stayed on board and allow them all to stay for free they would write the most awful review on every site they could find and have their friends do the same. I told them I would not be BLACKMAILED and to do their damndest and obviously they have. I will leave you to make up your own mind about this.

Reviewed December 12, 2011

We spent 2 nights on this canalboat, which we booked as we wanted something a bit different from your average hotel room - and it was certainly different!

The two double beds in the cabins were very comfortable, and the kitchen was pretty well equipped for such a small space even though we ate out most of the time. I was a bit concerned at the number of ornaments and vases etc. which decorate the boat beautifully. If my children had been a bit smaller I'd have packed them all away safely while we were there as they could very easily get knocked about. And having a very tall husband, he managed to crack his head on the spikey light fittings in the bedroom cabin several times! The Christmas tree and fresh flowers were lovely touches.

The boat was warm enough in December with the radiators on, except at the main entrance to the barge, which was quite draughty (but this was a day after Hurricane Bawbag so it wasn't exactly as still as a millpond). However, this didn't affect the bedroom cabins. We used a couple of cushions to curb the worst of the draughts from the door and it was fine after that.

We did experience some noise from the nightclub but earplugs soon solved that - and I don't think our children noticed much, it was just the adults.

The location is very good indeed - just don't look at Google Maps, as the postcode and address just shows you the side street (pretty scruffy) and not the canal basin (very modern, lots of new buildings and facilities). There's a supermarket 100 metres away from the boat, and it's an easy walk to Princes Street.

The supply of books, DVDs and CDs was a very thoughtful touch and most welcome to keep us entertained after a long day of sightseeing

Rather than have a shower onboard, which though adequate is a bit small for the likes of a 6'5" man, we made use of the British Waterways facilities a bit further down the canal basin, which were spotless, warm and very roomy.

All in all, a great adventure and worth seeking out as something very different for a weekend away or even longer.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Lynn C
Reviewed December 10, 2011

If your looking for something a little different,then this is definitely for you. The boat is not what you would expect at all. Sumptuous furnishings and very cosy. It's also in an ideal location. We will be back, I'm sure.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We spent 3 nights in Edinburgh but didn't see as much of the city as we would have liked to as we spent all our time on board this lovely canal boat. It was beautifull inside with every thing we could want.We expected it to be a bit old fashioned but it was the opposite, trendy and modern. We used the folding bikes on all 3 days, Skipper Cam is so nice and even gave us her personal phone number incase we needed any help or directions. This is the only place I will stay when I go back to Edinburgh. We both loved it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We spent 3 nights on this lovely canalboat. It is very well equipped and furnished with comfortable beds and everything you could need in the kitchen. A few little things went wrong-some of them our fault for not being used to boats but everything was fixed very promptly professionally and without fuss.
The first night was very windy and our sleep was disturbed by the buoys battering on the side of the boat however the next 2 nights- and mornings were very quiet and it was hard to believe you were in the centre of Edinburgh. We believe the problem with the buoys had never happened before and probably won't again.
An excellent place for children- there is fishing- we caught pikes and roach and ducks to feed. And highly recommend for a romantic night or two with a special soemone.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank fibiScotland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edinburgh
Broughton & Calton
The Scotsman Hotel
#84 of 151 in Edinburgh
Prestonfield
#4 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to The Four Sisters Boatel? Share your experiences!