“So good we went twice”

Port of Siam at Newhaven
Cuisines: Seafood, Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Port of Siam offers Thai Fusion by the beautiful Newhaven Harbour, Edinburgh. Chef Phaitoon and his team blend authentic Thai spices with locally sourced fresh fish and seafood from Newhaven Fish Market, merging traditional Thai cuisines with modern Scottish cooking to create our delicious seafood dishes, and quality Scottish farm produce to re-create our traditional and contemporary dishes. Port of Siam is currently open for dinner Tuesday to Sunday. We are open for a lunch service on Thursdays and Fridays from noon till 2pm and open from noon till 10:00pm on Saturdays and Sundays. We look forward to seeing you.
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Very small establishment but welcoming and friendly. Food - Thai and - fusion - was superb, beautifully cooked and presented - generous portions. We enjoyed our first visit so much we went back a few nights later.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We visited Port of Siam for a meal after reserving a table over the phone on the day. They were very happy to accomodate us at short notice. The standard of the food and the service was first class. If you don't want prawn crackers then say no as they do charge you for them. All in all a great experience and would go back.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I always read reviews before going places, couldn't complain with the feedback from this place. Had a meal here last night, a Sunday night. I had chicken satay to start which I found very nice. I then had a chicken fried rice for my main, it was called something more classy but it was a chicken fried rice, lovely cosy place, quite warm in there so it was good that the lady come round and kept filling my glass with water.
Ok the downside, not that I minded but I was only offered a drink when I first arrived which I finished my gin within 20mins and was not offered another, this didn't bother me I don't mind asking when I want more but just for other people when they go. I live 5 mins from this restaurant and Unfortunately was violently sick as soon as i got home and for most of the night bringing up everything I ate from the restaurant. My starter and main consisted of chicken, my partner had scallops and beef, he was fine. When I was being sick there was an incredible smell and taste of garlic to the extent i had to close my eyes they were stinging. it seems they maybe use too much of this in the food. It's a shame. I won't be going back.

3  Thank bambi m
WRMP, Owner at Port of Siam at Newhaven, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Hi Bambi,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our restaurant. Firstly I'd like to say how sorry we are that you were ill a short time after eating at the Port of Siam. We delayed responding to your review to fully look into what if anything you might have eaten that could have caused such a reaction. The 2 dishes you have described have little or no garlic in them. The satay uses a small amount of garlic in the marinade only, the Bangkok Chicken has no garlic in it at all. The Thai chefs have assured me that this is not an ingredient they use in that dish.

We can see no reason for you suffering such a violent episode in such a short time, unless you had some allergic reaction to an ingredient within the dish, but this is really unlikely to have been the garlic that you refer to, or maybe it was a reaction to something consumed several hours before. However we do treat seriously all reviews and can assure you that our kitchen is fully able to produce quality food for diners, taking cognisance of any of the known food allergies, that we have met to date, as we would hope is supported by the other reviews to date.

We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to re-visit us and have dinner for two on a complimentary basis. If you wish to take advantage of this offer please email us at mail@portofsiam.com marked "FAO Richard".

Once again many thanks for taking the time to submit this review.

Best Regards,

Port of Siam.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Superb, incredibly tasty and intricately presented food. A small and stylish place so book. A hidden gem and by far the best thai food in Edinburgh.

2  Thank Zoosh67
Reviewed August 31, 2013

what can i say, i have lived in this area for 3 years and never been here, but here we were on a quietish sunday. We shared a few starters ,namely, venison skewers, scallops and black pudding, prawns and noodles with a main course of duck. The venison skewers were out of this world. This place is small so booking advised but i think you will not be disappointed and do not listen to the earlier reviewer who gave it 1 mark, he says he is a chef, maybe in mac donalds i think, we will be back

2  Thank BOBHAM5114