“Great wee gem!!!”

Port of Siam at Newhaven
Cuisines: Seafood, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Port of Siam offers Thai Fusion by the beautiful Newhaven Harbour, Edinburgh. Chef Phaitoon and his team blend authentic Thai spices with locally sourced fresh fish and seafood from Newhaven Fish Market, merging traditional Thai cuisines with modern Scottish cooking to create our delicious seafood dishes, and quality Scottish farm produce to re-create our traditional and contemporary dishes. Port of Siam is currently open for dinner Tuesday to Sunday. We are open for a lunch service on Thursdays and Fridays from noon till 2pm and open from noon till 10:00pm on Saturdays and Sundays. We look forward to seeing you.
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Lovely food service and just over all nice wee place. Only wee thing I would say portions are a little bit small. But still lovely.

1  Thank Fresh007

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Came here for my birthday lunch and wasn't disappointed. Lovely flavours, freshly cooked and very reasonable. Mussel starter was especially delicious. Although it was very quiet the phone was going constantly with people booking up for evening meals - essential as it is so tiny. Will definitely be back here again very soon

2  Thank Anne K
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have visited this restaurant several times now with colleagues, friends and family for lunches. We don't go frequently and lunch times are very quiet - we are often the only ones in there!

The decor is understated and modern - a lovely place to sit. Food is generally fantastic; Thai beef skewers with a wonderfully piquant spicy dip; fabulous penang curries; steamed chicken to die for; dumplings that are so scrummy... nothing, food wise, has ever disappointed.

However, it can be a bit random... a few months ago I was meeting aThai friend for lunch and as she is a great cook, and has had to listen to me waxing lyrical about how fantastic this restaurant is for a very long time, we decided to head to the Port of Siam.

I called to check that the restaurant was open that day - it is sometimes closed at lunch times - and we popped along at 12.30pm, as agreed, only to be told by the rather sheepish waitress that the chef had popped out but was due back any minute. We ordered some drinks and had a good old blether. By 1pm the waitress still didn't know when the chef was coming back and offered to cook lunch for us. Thankfully she did a pretty good job considering, however, my chum was less than impressed at having the waitress cook for us.

Whilst we were there a chap came in and sat at the central "bar" area and spread his papers out and started making phone calls. It was a little odd as we were trying to have a quiet lunch and he was not waht you would call unobtrusive. We finished our lunch and headed off without seeing hide nor hair of the chef... but the very nice waitress deserves a pay rise, and a promotion!

We have been back since - and I'm glad to say the chef was in the building and the businessman chap was not! the food was (again!) delightful and the lunch menu is fantastic value.

We're hoping to go back soon and would still recommend this unreservedly. Having been to pretty much every Thai restaurant in Edinburgh, we like this one the best. It is not the most expensive but the food, to me, seems to be way ahead of the rest.

1  Thank SukiEdinburgh
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've visited 5 times now, and each time was a real treat. They haven't got many covers, and the kitchen looks tiny! Having said that, the food is bold and flavoursome. Whenever I go I always ask for them not to hold back on the spices, and gosh do they deliver on flavour. It's not 100% consistent every time, but on the whole the food is very well done. Highlights include the jumbo prawns (heavenly) and the crispy sea bass. The prices are reasonable, and the portions, whilst not overly generous, are just adequate. For gluttons like me, I find them just a tad small. Ah, and I would suggest going on one of their 'tapas' nights. Book to avoid disappointment as they can get quite busy at times.

1  Thank Milchpuder
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was my fourth time eating at the Port of Siam so this review is long overdue. Every time, the food has been amazing. I recommend the lamb chops and the scallops and black pudding (cooked perfectly) starters. The seafood platter is an amazing main, full of variety and flavor. I have taken several business clients there and the staff has always been very professional and accommodating. The food is fresh and you can tell by the smell when you walk in that the chef really cares about what he is producing. I look forward to my next visit there.

1  Thank adomino