“Fantastic Food, Can't Wait to Go Back!”
Review of Port of Siam at Newhaven - CLOSED

Port of Siam at Newhaven
Cuisines: Seafood, Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Port of Siam offers Thai Fusion by the beautiful Newhaven Harbour, Edinburgh. Chef Phaitoon and his team blend authentic Thai spices with locally sourced fresh fish and seafood from Newhaven Fish Market, merging traditional Thai cuisines with modern Scottish cooking to create our delicious seafood dishes, and quality Scottish farm produce to re-create our traditional and contemporary dishes. Port of Siam is currently open for dinner Tuesday to Sunday. We are open for a lunch service on Thursdays and Fridays from noon till 2pm and open from noon till 10:00pm on Saturdays and Sundays. We look forward to seeing you.
Scotland
“Fantastic Food, Can't Wait to Go Back!”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Loved loved loved this little gem of a restaurant. I went with a group (5) and although it is tiny, the tables are laid out in such away that you don't fell like you're sitting on top of everyone. The food was de-e-vine and service impeccable. Thai is one of my favorite cuisines and I've had it in a lot of places and I rate Port of Siam's food pretty highly. The price is average/high. I'm sure you could find cheaper Thai but the location and atmosphere are fab. We were there at night but I think the view would be lovely during the day. Cute and cozy for a date and lovely for a group. Can't recommend it enough, especially the Massaman Curry, mmmmm.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank bay_girl2

Galway, Ireland
“Fantastic from start to finish!”
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

As a group of 9 we were all delighted with our meal at port of Siam. The food was first class and the staff were friendly and helpful, stating that anything that was not on the menu, could be arranged for us. I personally would recommend the Thai green curry, yum!!! Would high recommend.

Dundee
“Incredible Thai Food!”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is one of my favourite Edinburgh restaurants, the food is so good I just keep going back. The menu is delicious, with so many excellent dishes to choose from. The service is excellent and the restaurant is in a nice little scenic spot. The Scallops and black pudding or fish cakes were excellent starters, and pad thai, pork belly or the duck are all things my friends and I enjoyed. Overall its an excellent place and I would definitely recommend it.

Dundee, United Kingdom
“The best Thai I have tasted in my entire life. Ever.”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I visited this restaurant about 2 months ago for the first time, the food is so delicious It has ruined any other thai restaurant that i used to enjoy (I'm a big thai food fan).. which is a shame because I am not in the same city. I went back about 2 weeks ago and it was possibly even beter than last time! Cannot recommend it enough!!

1 Thank gramsay_22
Aboyne, United Kingdom
“Whats happened to the food!!!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Having dined here before and recommended the restaurant to friends because of the fresh delicious food expertly cooked with clean flavors... oh dear what a disappointment this time Tempura soggy accompanied by limp salad, mediocre fish cake well fish posted missing!!, main course pork was lacking flavour though tender enough, vegetables so over cooked was like it had been sitting around in a bain-marie - the duck dish disappointing and well overloaded with soy sauce and both dishes well bulked out with large cut onion. The wonderful thai flavours of our first visit last year were sadly missing.

4 Thank Serena H
RichardProsser, Owner at Port of Siam at Newhaven, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Serena,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. It is however very disappointing that your first review on Trip Advisor is one indicating such an unsatisfactory dining experience for you and your fellow diner, especially after having recommended the restaurant to friends in the past. I would ask that you let us know either through this site or by email to mail@portofsiam.com the date on which you dined and we will seek to look into your complaints in more detail.

In a general response however, other than apologise for any sub standard food, I can make the following observations; The "fish cake" would have in fact been a prawn cake, which is made in a very traditional Thai style, but quite different from a British style fish cake. I would guess the other dishes you may be referring to are the Sizzling Duck from the Traditional Menu and Crispy Pork Belly from the Contemporary Menu. Neither of these are spiced dishes, the former is rich, full of umami flavours and vegetables, including onion and the latter is a mild flavoured glazed pork dish, sitting on wokked bok choy, but should not have had onion anywhere near it.

The staff should have enquired as to how your meal was and if indicated to, that there were problems, would have sought to address those there and then and possibly helped with your overall experience that evening. When we make contact we will be pleased to offer you and your fellow diner a complimentary meal at the Port in a bid to let you reacquaint yourself with the "wonderful Thai flavours" of your first visit.