“Great food, paculiar waitress”
Review of The Holyrood 9A

The Holyrood 9A
Ranked #132 of 2,570 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Description: In Edinburgh's old town, just off the Royal Mile, you'll find new The Holyrood 9A. A place to bring friends and discover a local bar restaurant to call your own in the heart of the city. The gleaming pumps offer 20 beer and ale varieties from Scotland and around the world. There's wines and spirits in any which way and a classic cocktail list for your well deserved post-work tipple.The Holyrood's all day menu includes mouth-watering 'two-handers' - an eclectic array of delicious gourmet burgers, with plenty more large and small dishes including options for our vegetarian pals. Ask us about reserving a bar corner or a whole room for your own event. Stay all afternoon or night and spoil yourself. As Alexander Pope said, 'a little beer is a dangerous thing...'
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great food, quick service (burger was amazing!) beer was good and nice atmosphere! My friend had the brownie and he said it was awesome. Great place for lunch!

The only negative thing would be that the slightly older waitress (possibly the manager, I'm not too sure) wasn't very good. No smile, strange manner and just a bit weird. We asked her for the bill 3 times and she said "yeah no problem just a sec" and then nothing. We asked another waitress who was lovely and we got the bill in about 2 mins.

Overall good! :)

2  Thank call_itkarma

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Been here on Sunday morning before leaving Scotland on my friends recommendation that it is the one of the best burger places in the world. Let me tell you he was not lying. I got The Italliano burger. Burger was delicious , with I think home made pastry, plus some kind of salad as a side dish.
Service was great as well, place very nice with comfortable seating at the back.
One advise If you come to visit this place at the evening make sure you do have reservation ready

Reviewed April 16, 2013

My partner and I visited here on a number of occaisions during the weekend of the Edinburgh Half Marathon in April, having read a review of its burgers in a magazine.

When we first called in on the Friday afternoon, it was nicely busy but not hectic and having walked half the city it was nice to be able to sit in a corner and just relax. There was plenty of drinks choice - from real ale through to shorts and spirits and coffee if you wanted. Service was good with our empty glasses being taken away after our first drinks and returned full.

I then called in on the Sunday morning to dry off whilst my partner ran the race. It was quite busy I guess for a Sunday morning but my bacon and egg sandwich and coffee arrived in good time. Even though I'd finished eating, I wasn't rushed out the door and the staff were quite happy to let me sit there. The sandwich was very tasty, the bacon just this side of crispy, the egg cooked to perfection with a soft yolk although I'm sure they'd cook it how you'd like if you ask. The bread cake came unbuttered but with a pat of butter on the side should you prefer.

Later that Sunday we called in again for their burgers. The place was really full but we were shown to a table in the corner very quickly. A drinks order was promptly taken and delivered whilst we perused the menu.

Once we ordered food, it didn't take long to arrive - I had the Holyrood with chunky chips, my partner the BBQ with sting fries - all the potatoes were cooked to perfection, crunchy, hot and tasty. The burgers were superb - they didn't fall apart if you picked them up, you could taste the various toppings and they didn't leave you over full. In fact... we still had room for the pudding, we shared "The Kitchen Sink" which is lots of ice cream, assorted fillings, wafers etc. All very nice.

I'd highly recommend this place -where you want a quick breakfast, a laid back lunch or a full-on beer and burger session, this place will provide your needs! Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was a great find and was recommended to us by a local bus driver! The food was great at good value, the burgers are highly recommended. The staff were friendly and it was a really nice chilled atmosphere. Would definitely return.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel just down the road from this bar.

Seeing as breakfast was priced at £15.50 in the hotel we declined, and ate at the Holyrood 9A both mornings of our stay. Good cooked breakfast for £5-£7 (depending what you have). If you don't like certain items, you can swap them for something you prefer. Did get a bit confusing though and we had a minor mix up with an order so make sure you are clear what you want and what you don't!

The Country and the Holyrood Breakfasts were both good although the Holyrood said "eggs" and you still only got one?!??! Anyway, small niggle.

Had my first try of haggis and was pleasantly surprised!

Daytime menu also looked good; burgers etc but didn't try.

Worth going here for a cheaper alternative to hotel breakfast. Set us up for the day in Edinburgh and would definitely recommend and go back.