“Great burgers, great atmosphere”
Review of The Holyrood 9A

The Holyrood 9A
Ranked #136 of 2,554 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Description: In Edinburgh's old town, just off the Royal Mile, you'll find new The Holyrood 9A. A place to bring friends and discover a local bar restaurant to call your own in the heart of the city. The gleaming pumps offer 20 beer and ale varieties from Scotland and around the world. There's wines and spirits in any which way and a classic cocktail list for your well deserved post-work tipple.The Holyrood's all day menu includes mouth-watering 'two-handers' - an eclectic array of delicious gourmet burgers, with plenty more large and small dishes including options for our vegetarian pals. Ask us about reserving a bar corner or a whole room for your own event. Stay all afternoon or night and spoil yourself. As Alexander Pope said, 'a little beer is a dangerous thing...'
Reviewed February 10, 2013

A friendly pub atmosphere with an excellent choice of beers including some very unusual flavours. You can try a small sample of the beers before you buy which is a great idea.
The burgers are lovely with lots of different topping to choose from. The sweets sounded great but we were too full unfortunately to try them. The staff were friendly and welcoming and there was a nice buzz as it was busy on the Thursday night we were there. The decor is not fancy but if you want good food and a good choice of beers this is a good place to try.

There are newer reviews for The Holyrood 9A

Reviewed February 5, 2013

My friends and I went about a year ago and were really impressed - a tasty full cooked breakfast plus a cup of tea for a fiver, can't get better than that. With this in mind, we decided to go back after the BUPA Winter Run in January. Sadly I was not as impressed this time. The breakfast prices had gone up by nearly £2 and no longer includes a cup of tea. Also, one person ordered the vegetarian breakfast and it arrived with a slice of bacon on it. The staff didn't seem to understand that she couldn't just "eat around it". However, they did replace her place for her. On the plus side, they did accommodate the substitution requests i.e. no mushroom, extra tomatoe etc.

Caroline M, General Manager at The Holyrood 9A, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Holyrood 9A. I am so sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your recent visit. It is true that our prices have increased since last year - while we try to keep our prices as low as possible for as long as possible, the rising cost of food & fuel unfortunately does make price increases necessary at times. Our breakfast menu now has a greater variety of dishes on it, ranging in price from £2.25 to £7.50 for the larger breakfast, which has more items than the previous breakfast & includes a glass of orange juice. We also have a smaller breakfast, with a vegetarian option, priced at £5.75, which is the same as the breakfast we previously sold at £5.00, but you are right - we are no longer able to include a hot drink at this price. What we hope to do with this more varied menu is offer much more choice for our customers - both in terms of food & price - & I apologise again that this has fallen short of your expectations.
I would also like to apologise for the mix up that happened with your order. While I am glad that your requests for removal & addition of items were noted, of course bacon should never have appeared on a vegetarian breakfast & I trust that the matter was rectified & you were all able to enjoy your breakfasts after your run.
Thank you again for your comments & I do hope you decide to re-visit us at some point in the future.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Visited the Holyrood 9A with some workmates for a wee get-together. Have to say I'm not a huge fan of burgers, but would happily make a exception for the ones here! Wasn't too sure what to expect, to be honest, as the kitchen is tiny - but the chefs do an amazing job, as the food is fab! After some deliberation, I opted for the haggis burger - which was fantastic! Lovely crispy coating with really good, peppery haggis - and the sour dough bun complemented it perfectly. Loved the beetroot coleslaw too. Some really interesting and unusual combinations of burgers on the menu - and not just beef, either. There was lamb, chicken and even a venison one too!
My colleagues also praised their burgers - including our vegetarian friend, who was pleasantly surprised to find several veggie options on the menu. Portions were decent too, although we all managed room for a dessert. I had the toffee sundae, which was very good and not too sickly.
Good value too - and the service was friendly and efficient. Would definitely return here again.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

One of the better burger joints in Edinburgh, not the biggest burgers in Edinburgh but makes up with full flavored combinations. Nice beetroot coleslaw (could do with more though!) and the pesto-mayo on my burger was nice.

Pros: Cheap (£10-15 burger chips drink and dessert), Good menu, Great drink, polite service. Not much more one would need.

Cons: Avoid the leather bench seat along the back wall it is somewhat uncomfortable and too low for the tables. Waiting staff although lovely can be hidden away if your seated in the corners of the establishment (we had a little trouble catching there attention). Big gentlemen may find portions a tad small.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

After wandering around the streets looking for somewhere to get a nice lunch on our final day in Edinburgh, we came across this place. We'd been looking at the menu outside 'David Bann', the vegetarian restaurant around the corner. We would have gone there if they had a lunch menu, but with it being our final day we had virtually spent up, so didn't quite want to pay the prices of David Bann.

We looked at the menu outside the Holyrood, and after a quick check on Yelp decided this would be a good call.

It's cosy inside, especially with the current Christmas decor. The boyfriend had a halloumi burger which he hailed to be delicious. I also wanted halloumi, but something lighter than a burger after 3 days of over indulgence. There is a halloumi salad on the menu, but I preferred the look of the cesar salad, so opted for this substituting the chicken for halloumi, which was no problem at all. It was lovely.

We stayed here quite a while as there was Blue Moon available, my favourite beer at the moment, which they served properly with a slice of orange.

All in all great lunch with great beer.