“Dirty and old”

Ranked #140 of 204 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Zagreb, Croatia
“Dirty and old”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Title says it all - it is REALLY dirty and really old! We stayed there because it was close to the center and it was cheaper than other places but I would not do that again or recommend this place... And it is VERY noisy!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Maja M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I ve been there in the 2011 summer, the hostel is very relaxed and the people who works there are nice.
I think the prices are good, but you must pay for breakfast. But near you have a supermaket.
The ubication is excellent, is just in front fo the castle, but the train station is half away.
In the upper floor, you have a playroom and the kitchen, is a very funny place for make new friends.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Rome, Italy
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed there only a night, but it was a terrible experience: first of all, we booked beds in a female dorm while they put us in a mixed dorm because the hostel was full that night (who cares, since I paid for what I booked?); the most annoying thing was that the room was too dirty: bed linens were so dirty that I was worried about sleeping on them! In the room, there were clothes and personal belongings on the floor, beer cans, and the smell of beer was very strong. The only good thing was the location, since it was in the city centre. I don't want to say that this always happens , maybe I only was unlucky, but my experience was horrible and honestly I wouldn't suggest this hostel to someone else, also considered that it's not very cheap.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AlessiaPD

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The location of this hostel was great with only a 10 minute walk to the Old Town of Edinburgh and a magnificent view of Edinburgh Castle the moment you walk out the front door. The hostel was relatively cheap as well, but you get what you pay for.

The rooms were fairly average and small. The hostel layout was poor, as there were too many areas for people to hang out (a kitchen up the top level, and a chill out area down the bottom) so it was a difficult environment to meet and chat to other travelers. There were no activities arranged by the hostel other than a pub crawl which was not running, but information was provided by tours that were run by 3rd party organisations. Staff were helpful when I wanted to book a tour with an external company.

Whilst the location was great I would've rather stayed in a more modern hostel with less rooms and a more social environment.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I have stayed in hostels/backpackers all over the world and I had never been bitten by bed bugs before!! I stayed in the double room no- 301.
When I booked over the phone I asked for email confirmation of my booking and it was never sent even tho I phoned 3 more times asking for it,when I arrived at the hostel I was overcharged!! The red head girl behind reception very unhelpful,un interested and rude.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank travelers132549
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We were visiting Edinburgh as a part of our honeymoon and arrived at this hostel only to be told by a very unfriendly lady that the hostel was closed with no further explanation. We explained that we had a booking at the hostel only to be told "too bad" and ushered out of the building into the rain with nowhere to go. Outside the hostel a man told us that the hostel should be open in a week or so which was of no help to us. We would have appreciated prior contact from the hostel to let us know that our booking would not be honoured or at least a proper explanation and respect when we arrived at the hostel. Even if this hostel suposedly does open I would highly recommend to not stay there!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea F
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I give this hostel an average rating because I didn't stay here long enough (only for 1 night) to be able to fully judge it. We stayed in an 18 bed mixed dorm--I found the beds fine. The only problem is that for an 18-bed dorm, it's quite small and the door to the bedroom slams shut. If you have roommates who are not cognizant of how loud they are, that can be a pretty big disturbance, especially at night. The bathrooms were not the cleanest, but not the dirtiest I've seen. In addition, the floors/ceilings are VERY thin--you can hear any noise coming from above you. I don't know what the people on the floor above me were doing that night, but it sounded like they were bowling or playing hockey in the hallways. I almost got out of bed to complain because it was so loud, but decided to just try and get some sleep anyways. The pros of this place is that it has a lot of character, and it is cheaper compared to other hostels in Edinburgh.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple