“Amazing day out. Totally recommended.”

The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour
Ranked #3 of 214 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Free Day Tour of the Scottish Highlands. We believe everyone should be able to discover the real Scotland, that’s why we pioneered the only Free tour of this beautiful wilderness; through the eyes of a passionate and knowledgeable, local tour guide. We pride ourselves on exceeding the expectations of our guests; maintaining a professional but relaxed approach, and ensuring every tour is entertaining, informative and utterly unique.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Hairy Coo was an amazing trip across (west) highlands. The route they take is different to the other tours (who go up north towards Inverness) and I have not been on one of them so I cannot compare.

On a standalone basis, Hairy Coo is awesome and I thoroughly recommend it. We set off and covered all the points noted on the website. The views and sceneries are stunning for the most part and Donald was an ocean of info on scottish history, tradition and geography. Our best moments were Loch Drunkie(?) and Falkirk wheel and Forth Bridge (the civil engineer that I am). Luckily the weather on the day was excellent and we could also spot the hairy coo. The vehicle is comfortable and the audio systems were decent.

Lastly, the tour operates on a tips basis and I think the idea is wonderful. However, it was sad to see a few people taking advantage of that. We noticed a few people thoroughly enjoying their trip but paying up close to nothing. Not trying to preach, but I thought that was appalling.

thehairycoo, Manager at The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2010

Thanks for the review 'prashs'. I'm glad you rate our work so highly, and felt it was worth the tip. We live and/or die by the concept. Our philosophy is that if we show people a fantastic day out, they will hopefully reward us in kind. Some people don't, but the overwhelming majority do; voluntarily, and without pressure. This is OUR perfect business model, as it means people can never feel short-changed. Tip us whatever you think it's worth. Win-win situation...

Regards,

Reviewed August 31, 2010

We had the privilege of having Donald as our tour guide. He is a very knowledgable guide who is wonderful at story telling - I adored listening to him recount the rather bloody history of Scotland and it’s monarchs!

The route is wonderful, excellent scenery, and it was great to spend pretty much as much time off the bus as we did on. The bus is comfortable, and roomy enough for this length of tour.

I would highly recommend this tour for those tourists who are looking for something a little out of the ordinary and something with a personal touch. Don’t be afraid of having to tip, it’s done in an efficient and happy manner and there is no pressure at all which was a relief as we weren’t able to tip as much as we would have liked.

Hi Sam,

Delighted you enjoyed the tour. Like you said; there is no awkwardness or pressure to tip, it's all voluntary at the end. That's the way we like it, everyone goes away happy.

I'll pass your comments onto Donaldo.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

First of all for a free tour where you tip at the end it was EXCELLENT! One of the best tours I've taken. "The Don" gave us lots of information and funny facts about the history of Edinburgh, the people, and the places we traveled to. For the first leg of the trip we saw the outside of Stirling Castle, the Falkirk Wheel, and then stopped in Aberfoyle to grab lunch and ate in the beautiful Trossachs to go for a nice long walk. After that we continued through the hihglands to see Harry Coo and made a stop at Doune Castle - home of the filming of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
I would recommend this trip to anyone. I loved it and when I get the chance to go back to Edinburgh I plan on taking their tour again. I had a blast and so did my sister. Should the company ever expand for longer tours or different ones I plan on signing up to take them.

Hi munka,

Glad you and your sister enjoyed the tour out of the city. It's always a joy for me to see peoples' faces as we step off the bus for the first time 'in the Highlands'. When the places we take you mean we're the only people for miles around, and everyone falls quiet to enjoy the beautiful scenery that surrounds them, that's the moment that I know we're doing things 'the right way'. "Off the beaten track" right enough, our vehicle repair bills testify to it!

Regards,

Reviewed August 29, 2010

The alternative tour of Scotland with Donald has been a positive experience for the things we see and also for the organization. Our driver Donald works with passion and the way he explained everything we needed to know. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to really try this alternative tour.
The best "Alternative (fuel) scotland tour”.
Antonio and Graziana

Reviewed August 29, 2010

Don't be put off this trip by the fact that it is advertised as FREE. It isn't some sort of hoax, you just pay what you can afford or what you think the trip is worth. We had a great day with a knowledgeable and friendly guide called Donald who took us to the mountains and to visit Stirling Castle and the Falkirk wheel. We walked around a loch and went in search of the highland castle that the bus is named after - the hairy coo.

1  Thank travelleredinburgh66