“The best alternative (fuel) Scotland tour”

The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour
Book In Advance
$66.06*
Loch Ness, Highlands and Whisky Distillery Day Tour from Edinburgh
$420.24*
and up
3-Day Isle of Skye Inverness Highlands and Glenfinnan Viaduct Tour from...
$59.03*
Lochs, Stirling Castle, and Whisky Day Trip from Edinburgh
Ranked #3 of 218 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Free Day Tour of the Scottish Highlands. We believe everyone should be able to discover the real Scotland, that’s why we pioneered the only Free tour of this beautiful wilderness; through the eyes of a passionate and knowledgeable, local tour guide. We pride ourselves on exceeding the expectations of our guests; maintaining a professional but relaxed approach, and ensuring every tour is entertaining, informative and utterly unique.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 29, 2010

The alternative tour of Scotland with Donald has been a positive experience for the things we see and also for the organization. Our driver Donald works with passion and the way he explained everything we needed to know. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to really try this alternative tour.
The best "Alternative (fuel) scotland tour”.
Antonio and Graziana

Write a ReviewReviews (2,828)

Reviewed August 29, 2010

Don't be put off this trip by the fact that it is advertised as FREE. It isn't some sort of hoax, you just pay what you can afford or what you think the trip is worth. We had a great day with a knowledgeable and friendly guide called Donald who took us to the mountains and to visit Stirling Castle and the Falkirk wheel. We walked around a loch and went in search of the highland castle that the bus is named after - the hairy coo.

1  Thank travelleredinburgh66
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I didn't want to go on any coach trip to the highlands, but when I got the flyer of The Hairy Coo, it made me curious and I took part. I did not expect very much, but I was really enjoying the day out with so many interesting stops. It was never boring, and the time we were sitting in the bus was short. I especially liked the stop in the mountains, and I can only recommend this interesting tour. Besides Donald was telling us everything interesting about the landscape and history of that beautiful country.

Reviewed August 26, 2010

Think the title says it all really. Enjoyed this most well-researched, perfectly planned, organised and prepared of tours, led by the indefatigable Don, the Don, Sir Donald, who has a superb knowledge of Scottish history and his country. I'm generally not a tour person as I object to paying people to tell me what I can read in the Lonely Planet and taking me to over-priced lunch places and trashy souvenir stores where they take a kick but the HairyCoo have reinvented tours as we know it. Not enough superlatives to do this wonderful day justice but if you're thinking twice, then don't! At all!

2  Thank Cazza74
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I felt very fortunate to go on this trip with the Hairy Coo guide Russell. I was extremely impressed with his knowledge of the city and of Scotland in general. I felt like we learned more that day then we did on any other tour, and subsequently felt a lot more connected to Edinburgh, the city we were staying in. He was funny and personable. He made sure to reach out to every traveler individually and find out their story. It was quite impressive the amount of energy put out for the tour.
I appreciated the "realness" of the tour, suggestions on how to make it a low budget deal, and letting us know what was "hype" and what was worth seeing. (although...the sheep obstacle course was TOTALLY worth seeing fyi)

I know from personal experience that it is hard to continue to put out so much energy when you aren't getting enough back for it. So please consider that when deciding how much to tip these lovely boys, and do your best to accomodate them sufficiently :-) As much as they might love Scotland and sharing that with the world, it sucks if they are only giving and not getting back for their hard work.

2  Thank CFlouer